Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Received something I didn't order

Options
  • 01-10-2012 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I received a parcel in the post this afternoon which I did not order. I rang my credit card company and it hasn't been charged to my credit card. The supplier is a supplier which I used in the recent few weeks to get a birthday present, the order which was messed up and then rectified by the supplier.
    I am just wondering do I contact the supplier to see did he send it to me in error. But the order docs included with the bundle have my name and address on them. The annoying thing about it is the two items in the parcel, neither of them are of any use to me!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Just give the supplier a call and make arrangements to return the parcel (at their expense) surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If they were sent to you (not another) they are unsolicited goods.
    Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act
    7.—(1) Where—
    (a) unsolicited goods are sent to a person with a view to his acquiring them and are received by him, and
    (b) the recipient has neither agreed to acquire nor agreed to return them,
    and either—
    (i) during the period of six months following the date of receipt of the goods the sender did not take possession of them and the recipient did not unreasonably refuse to permit the sender to do so, or
    (ii) not less than 30 days before the expiration of that period the recipient gave notice to the sender and during the following 30 days the sender did not take possession of the goods and the recipient did not unreasonably refuse to permit the sender to do so,
    then the recipient may treat the goods as if they were an unconditional gift to him and any right of the sender to the goods shall be extinguished.

If you don't want them just notify the sender and hope they collect or pay for return (should be no cost to you).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,998 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

slimjimmc wrote: »

If you don't want them just notify the sender and hope they collect or pay for return (should be no cost to you).

If you don't want them and never ordered them then surely it's totally up to the sender to pay for collection. A call followed up by an email/letter giving 2 weeks to collect is all that's required

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you don't want them and never ordered them then surely it's totally up to the sender to pay for collection. A call followed up by an email/letter giving 2 weeks to collect is all that's required

It is of course, but you can only hope the sender responds when you notify him and give him a deadline to collect . If he doesn't you're stuck with the goods for 30 days after that deadline, or you send them back as your own cost. You can't legally dispose of them until that 30 days is up since they're not your goods yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Thanks all. Can I just hold onto the goods? They were definitely addressed to me. I haven't been charged for them. I think I recieved them as apology for order mix up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

See above. After 30 days, they're yours. But you have to notify the supplier first, otherwise it's theft.

I doubt it's an apology.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Thanks all. Can I just hold onto the goods? They were definitely addressed to me. I haven't been charged for them. I think I recieved them as apology for order mix up.

If the sender tells you they're yours then they're yours, otherwise you'll have to wait it out.

Advertisement