Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone threads

• 01-10-2012 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭

Having read the various foot-stamping threads over the past week, can someone please explain to me why they HAVE to get a new phone on the very day of its release?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

they're idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Youssef Chippo

To keep up with the Jones', Ireland at it's materialistic worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

mitosis wrote: »
    Having read the various foot-stamping threads over the past week, can someone please explain to me why they HAVE to get a new phone on the very day of its release?

Because they want it. Haven't you ever wanted anything in your life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

My phones better than your phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

I excitedly clicked into this thread thinking Apple had finally decided to start their own clothes range based on the iPhone. FFS :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Armitage shanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭bop1977

Thinly veiled I can't afford an iPhone thread and am bit jealous. :D

Only slagging. I want one as well.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

It's getting harder and harder to hold onto phones that have buttons.
    I have used my friends touch phones and iphones a few times.
    I don't like it, it's just not right. Technology should have buttons.
    It's part of the fun. Lamely dragging a finger across a screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Hates iphone threads

Creates iphone thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

In before this becomes an android/anti-apple circle jerk and the fanboys on either side come to bitch shite about the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

1ZRed wrote: »
    In before this becomes an android/anti-apple circle jerk and the fanboys on either side come to bitch shite about the other.

No no the apple-v-android slagging threads are dead.
    It's all about the spoilt brat-v-very reasonably priced and clearly explained mobile company contract nowadays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

marketty wrote: »
    No no the apple-v-android slagging threads are dead.
    It's all about the spoilt brat-v-very reasonably priced and clearly explained mobile company contract nowadays
    My windows phone has been secretly pissing in their drinking water all along. All them Android and iPhone plebs have Leptospirosis now and they don't even know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I don't understand the huge need either.

I've had the Galaxy S since it was the top Samsung phone. I got it because I wanted a smart phone (coming from an old Nokia) and I was switching networks. It still does everything I want it to do, even if it is getting a bit battered now so I have no desire to lay out a few hundred on a pointless upgrade. Maybe when there's an S4 there'll be some new amazing features I can't pass up on!

My point is, I got a new shiny phone because it was a huge upgrade. I wonder how much do the people getting the new iPhone get out of it opposed to their old handset?

That said there's nothing wrong with how each person chooses to spend their cash, as long as they're not going into the red for it! That would be silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

An Apple user posted in the Apple forum that he got an S3 and it wasn't that bad. The Apple bunch had pitchforks out, warnings, infractions, bans and thread locked in no time
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056769049

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    An Apple user posted in the Apple forum that he got an S3 and it wasn't that bad. The Apple bunch had pitchforks out, warnings, infractions, bans and thread locked in no time

LOL

Mad!

Was the thread on a forum hosted in a country where the land of the free and bold and brave cherish free speech? :pac:

they're idiots

iDiots you mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Feeona wrote: »
    I excitedly clicked into this thread thinking Apple had finally decided to start their own clothes range based on the iPhone. FFS :mad:
    iPhone dress would look class IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Madam_X wrote: »
    iPhone dress would look class IMO.

Especially with a slide to unlock function :D

Alright I'm goin I'm goin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

No no stay, a very handy addition I would think! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Ah jaysus. The lad might as well have posted "blokes are decent enough sorts" on tLL.

But that's where the fanboys live, so to be expected. No, I was merely wondering about the tantrum throwing instant gratification bods who were posting last week, and why it's not seen for anything else. Ironically maybe, there'll be another iphone in a few months and they'll be out again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

There was a great 'toys out of the pram' thread on the three forum demanding an iPhone 5 by the end of the week OR ELSE!!! Twas gas but must hav been deleted seems to have disappeared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

A simple smartphone is enough doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg. Text, calls, photos, music, radio and internet is all you need!!! Gone are the times we just had a telephone! :/ Surely one edition for a user is enough unless it goes on the blink you'd get a new phone/any iphone!? What's the hype with iphones and the latest must have phones upgrading every 5 mins, I stopped doing it so I get good use out of the phones I have until they go on the blink or has something wrong with it! Is it worth wasting all that money on something that constantly evolve anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

doovdela wrote: »
    Text, calls, photos, music, radio and internet is all you need!!!

You don't really need most of those things in a phone, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

They are the typical things but text and calls is enough! :/ Why do you need an iphone then when there are just as good smartphones about for half the price!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

doovdela wrote: »
    They are the typical things but text and calls is enough! :/ Why do you need an iphone then when there are just as good smartphones about for half the price!?
    Why drive a lexus when you can drive a Toyota? Cos you can/you want to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Hersheys wrote: »
    Why drive a lexus when you can drive a Toyota? Cos you can/you want to!

Why drive a Lexus when you can have a Jag, more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Because they want it. Haven't you ever wanted anything in your life?

*raises hand* I have. But the things I like to buy for several hundred squid don't usually become obsolete and "uncool" as soon as a newer shinier model with an incremental upgrade are introduced on the market.

The terms "more money than sense" and "a fool and their money are easily parted" springs to mind when I think of people rushing out for the latest version of phones or gadgets just to say they have one and to show it off to their mates, but hey ho, it's their cash, people are entitled to spend it as they wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

To keep up with the Jones', Ireland at it's materialistic worst.

Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Light Switch

I don't know. :)

Posted from my iPhone 5S Prototype.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.

And they'll thank you for saving them so much money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

Dublin is becoming a muggers paradise with all these idiots walking along the street with their €500 phones. Asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

This is like the circle of life, first the apple lovers come across as annoying douches. But it does not take long for a hoard of apple haters to develop and overtake the apple lovers.

Now they are annoying douches. People slagging off the forum where the s3 user was on a bit of a troll was a case in point. That's like a vegetarian posting in a hunting forum or vice versa.

I have an iPhone 4 that really needs replacement as it has gone slow but whenever I give out about it to my friends, it's not because it's old that it is crap or because it's memory is full, it's because it's an iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

It's not about having or wanting an iPhone. Best of luck to you, I say. It's about the tantrum throwing "I WANT IT NOW!!!" behaviour exhibited by posters in several threads in the past weeks. "If I don't have it by Monday I AM GONE"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Dublin is becoming a muggers paradise with all these idiots walking along the street with their €500 phones. Asking for trouble.

Not really, there is no market for second hand phones as the network can block the IMEI number rendering the phone useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Not really, there is no market for second hand phones as the network can block the IMEI number rendering the phone useless.

Yeah, if they stay in Ireland. The EU-wide blacklist isn't really in action yet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Same reason why some people need to drive a Merc when a Micra can do the same thing. Then they give out that the Merc doesnt have folding mirrors, do you really need folding mirror or just want folding mirrors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

People slagging off the forum where the s3 user was on a bit of a troll was a case in point. That's like a vegetarian posting in a hunting forum or vice versa.

I don't think that poster was trolling. He was an Apple fan who happened to buy and S3 and then decided to give his opinion to the other Apple users. Some of who may have wanted to see an unbiased view from one of their own. There was no point in him putting it in the android forum as anyone in there already thinks the S3 is better than anything else out there. It wouldn't have started a discussion or debate which is the whole point of this site.

And I doubt anyone would even raise an eyebrow if a regular from the hunting forum posted saying they went for a meal over the weekend and instead of having a steak they had a salad and saw the benefits of it or vice versa.

Advertisement