Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin/Wicklow Tree Consultant/Surgeon

Options
  • 01-10-2012 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

Strange one.... Currently tring to finalise the purchase of a new house and the bank valuer (i.e. a local estate agent) has thrown a spanner in the works. He's recommended that we get a tree (about 2-3 storeys high) checked out in the neighbour's garden that mainly grows over what will be our garden. I had a tree surgeon look at it who thinks it's safe but could do with being taken back a bit. However, he's not qualfied to put that in writing so I need a "consultant". As it's in the valuation report we now can't get our mortgage until one is done!

Can anyone recommend a good (and hopefully cheap!) company? I would have thought it'll involve some travel, an hour to look at it (max!) and maybe an hour to write a report. I know people have other costs to cover, but so far today I've been quoted € 180 by one person and € 300 for another, both Dublin based!

Is there such a thing as a going rate for this type of work? It just seems like yet another high expense having already paid for valuation, survey etc etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you have a photo of the tree? Use Google and Golden Pages to find some more and shop around. Send e-mails with the photo, location, explaining your situatio and ask for a price for their work. Having someone local would be an advantage.

However, this is a major transaction you are getting into and the bank is being cautious - they won't want to lend money only to have a tree collapse on the house.

Advertisement