Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Windows for a new PC?

Options
  • 01-10-2012 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi guys

My parts are assembled. My Mobo, CPU and RAM are in their case and working fine. My SSD and Optical Drive are in their boxes waiting to be put to use. :D

Perhaps a link to this thread;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056766260
    would shed some light on my situation.

I want to put Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit on my new machine, but my experience above has left me with self doubt as to which version I should be buying.

I know there are upgrade and builder kits, which are no good to me.

I just want one copy for my new PC. What should I get? Where is the best place to order it from? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

The OEM version of W7 Home 64-bit is the one you want, but TBH I wouldn't bother with Windows 7 this late in the game. Windows 8 Release preview can be downloaded and installed for free and works perfectly. It will be deactivated shortly after W8 is officially released at which stage you can buy the OEM version of W8 Home 64-bit and just do an upgrade keeping all your current files and programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The OEM ones are considerably cheaper. It's just that it's tied to motherboard when you install it. You can always ring up Microsoft if you've got a good excuse for moving it to a different motherboard.

I'd go for home premium if you want to save a bit or professional if you think you'll avail of extras like 16GB+ of RAM or XP mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RogerWilco1982

Thanks for the quick responses lads. ;)

@sink. What you’ve said about Windows 8 makes sense, however, I’m sceptical about putting it on my new PC, for starters this is my first build and I wouldn’t know how to go about installing it without a disc. :confused: Also, wouldn’t a new operating system be full of bugs and glitches? I’m concerned about compatibility issues with the like of FSX and Steam games etc. :(

@Monotype, I do eventually plan to have 16Gb in total of RAM, will Home Premium not recognise that? :confused: I have 8Gb (2 X 4 sticks) at the moment.

Edit; Just looked it up, Home Premium will support 16Gb of RAM. :D

It's above 16GB that's not supported. Sorry, should have made that clear. By the time we need that kind of RAM in mainstream or gaming desktops, you'll be looking at DDR4, I'd reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RogerWilco1982

• Advertisement

Yeah, that looks like the retail version. Pick amazon.co.uk on the right hand side for free delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

@sink. What you’ve said about Windows 8 makes sense, however, I’m sceptical about putting it on my new PC, for starters this is my first build and I wouldn’t know how to go about installing it without a disc. :confused: Also, wouldn’t a new operating system be full of bugs and glitches? I’m concerned about compatibility issues with the like of FSX and Steam games etc. :(

All Windows 7 drivers are fully compatible with Windows 8 I have not personally come across a compatibility problem and I've been using it for several months on a newly built PC. There are also very few bugs, I have not come across any with the release preview.

You can download the 64-bit .iso here.
    Just use windows disc image burner to burn it to a DVD or if you are using an older OS you can use ImgBurn.
    Then install it as you would with the retail version and use the product key: TK8TP-9JN6P-7X7WW-RFFTV-B7QPF

You have nothing to loose by giving it a try.

Actually, if you were in a hurry to install your Windows 7, you can always download a copy from digital river and install on the 30 day trial while you're waiting for your key in the post.

If you want to think about windows 8 a bit longer, you can extend the Windows 7 trial to 120 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You can also use an unactivated version of Win7 for up to four months. Just open command prompt on the last day of use before it expires (or even after) and enter "slmgr -rearm”. This will reset Windows to be used for another month, and can be done up to three times, totalling four months. Very handy if you're waiting for a new OS. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beez

The only thing Windows 8 is good for are tablets if you ask me. Its going to be a disaster. Stick with Windows 7.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

sink wrote: »
    The OEM version of W7 Home 64-bit is the one you want, but TBH I wouldn't bother with Windows 7 this late in the game. Windows 8 Release preview can be downloaded and installed for free and works perfectly. It will be deactivated shortly after W8 is officially released at which stage you can buy the OEM version of W8 Home 64-bit and just do an upgrade keeping all your current files and programs.

Hmmmm. After reading some Win8 reviews I have decided to go with Win7 for my new PC. Win7 has all I need, I really dont see anything compelling for me in win8 at this stage.

-FoxT

Advertisement