Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Singletons - How much money do you spend on food per week?

• 01-10-2012 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I spend between €50-€70 per week on food? Is this a huge amount? I eat very healthily but try to make savings where I can...what do ye single people spend on a food a week?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

I don't think this should be in the rip-off section. Anyway, I'm not a singleton, but as a family of 4 we spend about 100 euros a week in food. So 50/70€ for a single person seems quite high. Healthy options can be pricy, the fruits and vegs are usually very dear, but if you avail of special offers like 3 for 3€ or shop at your local greengrocer you will see the difference. Meat doesn't have to be eaten every day, and there are plenty of cheap cuts of meat that are quite healthy. Turkey is very low in fat and cheaper than chicken. Eggs are good too, so are tinned sardines which are dead cheap. Pulses and grains are cheap too and very healthy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Nanazolie wrote: »
    I don't think this should be in the rip-off section. Anyway, I'm not a singleton, but as a family of 4 we spend about 100 euros a week in food. So 50/70€ for a single person seems quite high. Healthy options can be pricy, the fruits and vegs are usually very dear, but if you avail of special offers like 3 for 3€ or shop at your local greengrocer you will see the difference. Meat doesn't have to be eaten every day, and there are plenty of cheap cuts of meat that are quite healthy. Turkey is very low in fat and cheaper than chicken. Eggs are good too, so are tinned sardines which are dead cheap. Pulses and grains are cheap too and very healthy

Where would you suggest I locate the thread? I couldn't seem to find anywhere appropriate. Also thanks for your suggestions but I'm vegetarian so although I save on meat, vegetarian food is very expensive, especially when you are trying to get the correct amount of nutrients etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

The moderator will move the thread if he thinks fit ;)

As a vegetarian, you can rely even more on pulses and grains. I cook mostly vegetarian food for both financial and health reasons. A typical meal would be some wholeweat pasta (Tesco or Aldi have cheap ones) with a lentil bolognese. Or some couscous with vegetables and chickpeas. Cheeses cost a fortune, but some are quite strong and a little goes a long way: parmesan, or the cheaper grana panado. Blue cheeses. Strong extra mature cheddar.
    Potatoes are cheap and nutritious and you can cook them in so many ways it's impossible to get bored: http://www.potato.ie/category/recipes/

Quorn is almost always on special either in Dunnes or Tesco, stock up the freezer and you can make lasagna, bolognese, 'meat'balls, fajitas, etc....

Shop in Aldi, they have a fantastic range for very good value

As an example, I made gnocchi (89 cents) with pesto (99cents), mushrooms (58 cents reduced to clear), cherry tomatoes (50 cents) and courgette (40 cents) yesterday. That meal for 4 people didn't exceed 3.5 euros, to which you will add another euro for a yogurt each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Nanazolie wrote: »
    The moderator will move the thread if he thinks fit ;)

As a vegetarian, you can rely even more on pulses and grains. I cook mostly vegetarian food for both financial and health reasons. A typical meal would be some wholeweat pasta (Tesco or Aldi have cheap ones) with a lentil bolognese. Or some couscous with vegetables and chickpeas. Cheeses cost a fortune, but some are quite strong and a little goes a long way: parmesan, or the cheaper grana panado. Blue cheeses. Strong extra mature cheddar.
    Potatoes are cheap and nutritious and you can cook them in so many ways it's impossible to get bored: http://www.potato.ie/category/recipes/

Quorn is almost always on special either in Dunnes or Tesco, stock up the freezer and you can make lasagna, bolognese, 'meat'balls, fajitas, etc....

Shop in Aldi, they have a fantastic range for very good value

As an example, I made gnocchi (89 cents) with pesto (99cents), mushrooms (58 cents reduced to clear), cherry tomatoes (50 cents) and courgette (40 cents) yesterday. That meal for 4 people didn't exceed 3.5 euros, to which you will add another euro for a yogurt each.

I will definitely take a look at the link and the gnocchi sounds delicious, I love pesto. Even sticking with homemade salads at lunchtime cost me a small fortune. Thanks Nanazolie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You should be aiming close to €25. Stock up on offers you'll use. tbh
    Also, this is the wrong forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I do a big shop every once and a while, my shop usually lasts me a month that's about 60-80. I pick up other bits and bobs for the rest of the time like bread and milk but most of my dinners etc. will be covered by that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I spend about 50-60 on myself a week with shopping, housemates would be roughly the same - that said though, if I was very consciously trying to save, or just didn't have the money, it can be easily easily done on half that, but I spend a lot of money on meat (nearly half of my spend).

Advertisement