Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buffalo river keys

Options
  • 01-10-2012 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hi guys iv put my keys away in a very safe place around the house and iv searched the place top to bottom and cant find them, i have the serial numbers for keys and iv looked on the net but cant seem to find key relacements anywhere,anyone know how i can get keys or will i have to go at it with a grinder:mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Contact Buffalo River, explain your situation, give them the serial numbers, and ask can they supply a spare key. Maybe they can help out.

Failing that it's either a locksmith or grinder, but either way these two methods may cause damage to the safe that requires you getting anew one.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Tommy87

The very same thing happened me. I contacted buffalo river, they didn't help. So I pulled the safe off the wall, got the grinder, cut a "u" shape in the back, peeled the steel back. And out with the shotgun!! I flattened the steel again and welded it closed again because I thought sooner or later I'd come across the keys but never did!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

Will a normal key cutters like the one in Woodies Diy cut a spare key or would I have to go to a proper locksmith shop? I hid the spare to one of my safes and cant for the life of me find it. What would it cost roughly?

If i remember correctly certain keys have serials numbers, and others are of a design that key cutters know they are security keys, and they usually require some proof it's your's, and some will not cut them.

The other issue the key itself. Most safe keys are of a design not easily copied. SO unlike your house key where the blanks will have the correct groves, and the cutter need only knock out the notches to match the tumbler he may not have the right blank to suit.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

the same thing happened to me a few months back and i just kept looking. they have to be somewhere. it toke me three days but i got them in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭jakko86

What a disater iv the house gone over a few times and no luck!! jesus its driven me mad, why do the have serial numbers if they wont provide an after sales service must price a locksmith but presume id have a new safe for the price of that.Grrrrrrr:mad:

Look in all the places that you immediately think "nah, i wouldn't put them there", and they'll turn up.

As said above give it a day or two, and see if they turn before doing something that you cannot undo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

I lost mine on the bog a few months ago and i'm using the spairs. Went to the hardware to get them cut and he said he can't. There's a store in Sligo town that sells safes and cuts all types of keys even for cars I might try there

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭no12

Contact Ardee Sports 0416853711 they are the agents and should be able to get you a replacement set before you go at it with an angle grinder :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Invincible

4200fps wrote: »
    I lost mine on the bog a few months ago and i'm using the spairs. Went to the hardware to get them cut and he said he can't. There's a store in Sligo town that sells safes and cuts all types of keys even for cars I might try there

A bit foolish bringing safe keys to the bog :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭EP90

Just had a look at my ‘Buffalo’ and the lock is held on by 4 nuts, on studs that seem to be welded to the door.
    1) find someone with a similar safe and make a pattern of where the studs are and drill them out from the outside of the door.
    2) If a locksmith can open it for you it would be possible to replace the lock at minimal ! cost if you could source one.

Jeeze I’d hate to think of grinding with those red hot sparks flying around the cabinet onto guns/scopes.

Had another look at my door and in the right light you can see an imperfection in the paint where the studs have been welded to the door. If yours is the same it should be easy enough to drill the right spot….

too true iv just thought about that and my rifle scope isnt capped so will have to hold off on that plan!plus have some ammo left in too:mad:
    EP90 wrote: »
    Just had a look at my ‘Buffalo’ and the lock is held on by 4 nuts, on studs that seem to be welded to the door.
    1) find someone with a similar safe and make a pattern of where the studs are and drill them out from the outside of the door.
    2) If a locksmith can open it for you it would be possible to replace the lock at minimal ! cost if you could source one.

Jeeze I’d hate to think of grinding with those red hot sparks flying around the cabinet onto guns/scopes.

Last suggestion for you, if you can get the cabinet off the wall without too much damage, measure where the keyhole is, transfer that to the back panel, with a hole saw drill a hole say 1.5” and with a socket, flexible coupling and extension you should be able to get at each nut on the lock casing and undo them, keep looking for them keys………

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

Invincible wrote: »
    A bit foolish bringing safe keys to the bog :D
    I know. I bring them every where with me. Its a habbit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Stop looking for them, they'll turn up then,
    thats what happens me, with other stuff,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

I kept my primary set and spare seperate. Abotu 3 years ago I put the first set in a 'safe place' been looking for them ever since. Thank god for the spare (my safe is a Vogue)

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

I carry mine with me all the time too. If out shooting I keep them in the inside zipped pocket of my jacket.
    I keep a spare set in my mates gunsafe.
    I dont like idea of having spare keys hidden in the house when im out.

Bit off track
    On the subject of mounting safes, can I ask? :)

I was thinking that the way (I'd say) most safes are mounted, directly to a solid wall, leaves them a bit open to being possible to remove from their mountings? (through a persistant attack)
    Ok, maybe people will say put them in a place that a person cant/doesnt have room to get at them in that way or that a persistant person with enough time will get anything if they want it.
    Are there mounts (like some kind of engine mounting) that are used for mounting safes? the flexibility would absorb any effort to remove them, whereas the fixed bolts would transmit that force to the mounting, it might help deter someone if every belt they gave it and it just returned (slight movement absorbing a damaging force applied) to its original position.

Keep the spares locked up.

They’re just required to mounted securely, not to be bomb proof, it’s only a deterrent against the opportunist scroat! Personally I wouldn’t bother even looking and even if you did find a more secure ‘fixing’ it would only take a few minutes with an angle grinder to have the door off. If someone really wants your guns you’re not going to stop them. But in answer to your question, no I don't know of anything like that.

• Advertisement

after hours of searching and itchy arms from fibre glass found them in that safe place and when i found them i didnt even get that (OH YA now i remember!) feeling! thakns for all the help guys much appreciated.

EP90 wrote: »
    They’re just required to mounted securely, not to be bomb proof, it’s only a deterrent against the opportunist scroat! Personally I wouldn’t bother even looking and even if you did find a more secure ‘fixing’ it would only take a few minutes with an angle grinder to have the door off. If someone really wants your guns you’re not going to stop them. But in answer to your question, no I don't know of anything like that.

I agree its to prevent someone just being able to pick up something and walk away with it, not trying to say bomb proof, just it would add an extra element of strength to it for someone that might want to try pry/clobber it off a wall, but as you say, they'd probably just use an angle grinder.

Advertisement