Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHEN TO GO??

• 01-10-2012 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi Iam an electrician who has the IEC,applying for jobs now but my question is should I go without a job or should I wait so I know for sure where to base myself?I was planning on going to Brittish Colombia,any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭archicraft

Workabroad jobs expo this Saturday & Sunday @ the RDS, lots of canadian jobs & advise on offer for construction workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭pig88

cheers for getting back,I was at the expo in croke park on friday so they are the jobs I have applied for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

Dunno much about trade recognition for electricians in Canada. I'd make sure you do tho.
    Depending on you being an industrial or domestic sparky would have an impact on you landing a job before you get here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

calgary will also be represented in rds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

All I can tell you is your qualifications will be recognised but you have to jump through a few hoops first. You have to prove you've worked a certain number of hours, nine thousand I think, that you have your exams completed and then, as far as i remember there's a short exam to make sure you're up to scratch with local codes and such. This may all be a bit mixed up as I'm not an electrician, it's just what I've learned from other sparks I've met here. You're best off having a look at some of the other threads for electricians that have gone through the process.

As for where to go, I'm in Newfoundland at the moment and the electrical contracter here lost six qualified sparks to Alberta recently. The company has been left with guys nearing retirement and apprentices to keep up the work level.

That said, if I was you I'd set my sights on Alberta. They pay what they call here "Alberta money", which, depending on who you talk to, is twice to three times the hourly rate you'd get here. I'd steer clear of Newfoundland. The pay doesn't reflect the cost of living and the lot of us ex pats are genuinely struggling.

I hope this is of help. Everyone feel free to pm me if you'd like a little more detail. I've made a few mistakes a long the line and there's no point in anyone else making the same ones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement