Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How's your iPhone 5 battery?

• 01-10-2012 6:20pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hows the battery life on your iphone 5 doing? I'm seeing no improvement from my iPhone 4.

My phone was fully charged at 9:30am today and its now at 43% (6:20pm). I have had a few phone calls and texts, but moderate mobile internet usage.

How does that compare with your experiences?

It seems poor to me?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Charged to 96% at 10pm last night. (Don't like leaving stuff charging while I'm asleep).
    Used all day for email, texts a d phone calls. Decent bit of browsing, twitter and Facebook.
    Posting on it now.

Wifi on since 5pm.
    Bluetooth on 24/7 for the car connection.
    Notifications all on.
    Email on push and auto check every 30 mins.

At this moment I'm at 22%.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

kceire wrote: »
    Charged to 96% at 10pm last night. (Don't like leaving stuff charging while I'm asleep).
    Used all day for email, texts a d phone calls. Decent bit of browsing, twitter and Facebook.
    Posting on it now.

Wifi on since 5pm.
    Bluetooth on 24/7 for the car connection.
    Notifications all on.
    Email on push and auto check every 30 mins.

At this moment I'm at 22%.

Hmmm sounds like we could be similar types of user. I guess this kind of drainage is normal. :(

faceman wrote: »
    Hmmm sounds like we could be similar types of user. I guess this kind of drainage is normal. :(

1% now.
    Letting it drain before charging tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Always charge the battery fully.

Don't worry about charging overnight, iPhones now use trickle charging. So if you leave it charging over night once it hits 100% it will only give the phone enough power to maintain that charge, so it uses barely any extra electricity.

Always charge the battery fully.

Don't worry about charging overnight, iPhones now use trickle charging. So if you leave it charging over night once it hits 100% it will only give the phone enough power to maintain that charge, so it uses barely any extra electricity.

Not worried about thye electricity end of things, more worried about stuff going on fire while im asleep :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Not worried about thye electricity end of things, more worried about stuff going on fire while im asleep :eek:

I wouldn't worry about it.. if it ever did short out think of the payout you'd get from Apple ;)
    Of course you'd probably be hideously scarred or dead but your family would be filthy rich :D

Joking aside I used to always have my iphone in an audio dock so it will be fully charged in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Always leave my 4 plugged in over night

Blazer wrote: »
    Joking aside I used to always have my iphone in an audio dock so it will be fully charged in the morning.
    guil wrote: »
    Always leave my 4 plugged in over night

Actually done it last night :o
    Let it completey drain to the point where it shut itself down and wouldnt let me power back on.

Plugged it in over night and was at 100% at 7.30am.
    Opened all my email this morning, done a few mins browsing, the mandtaory facebook checking and now at 99%.
    Will update how the battery goes through the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

I took mine off charge at 4am this morning and now, at 10am it's at 78%. I'll update later on. Light to medium use for email, texting, web browsing and Facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Iirc your meant to let the phone completely discharge its first charge. This allows the battery to calibrate properly.

This was advise given when I got the 3GS and mac air etc.

Mine arrived yesterday, turned on at 3pm with 87% batt. Lots of use inc wifi use via the iPad. As of now it's on 5%. Waiting for it to drain before charging up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

light to moderate usage , checked fb , skysports and email took off charge at 7:55 down 83% , not sure whether auto brightness is working correctly

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

My initial charge was a disaster. Phone lost 100% charge after 7 hours with minimal calls and internet use.

Since I let it drain completely the battery has been much better. Used it quite a bit this morning, still on 83%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I'm happy enough with the battery, definitely lasts longer than my 4 did

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Iirc your meant to let the phone completely discharge its first charge. This allows the battery to calibrate properly.

This was advise given when I got the 3GS and mac air etc.

Who have you this advise? It contradicts what apple have on their website

faceman wrote: »
    Who have you this advise? It contradicts what apple have on their website

Just double checked. Its in the manual I got for the mac air and even in the manual for an old PowerBook. Can't find 3GS box.

Never bother seeing if things are different these days with newer tech. Ws not aware it's not recommended now. I did it regulary with my 3GS and up until i got my new 5, I could get a full day with a 3GS.

Just double checked. Its in the manual I got for the mac air and even in the manual for an old PowerBook. Can't find 3GS box.

Never bother seeing if things are different these days with newer tech. Ws not aware it's not recommended now. I did it regulary with my 3GS and up until i got my new 5, I could get a full day with a 3GS.

Ah I thought you meant the iPhone batteries. They're different to that ones used in the laptops

100% @ 7.30am
    68% @ 5.00pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Here you go, all the battery info you need.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

Elessar wrote: »
    I took mine off charge at 4am this morning and now, at 10am it's at 78%. I'll update later on. Light to medium use for email, texting, web browsing and Facebook.

At 8pm it's now at 10%. Im Heading to bed.

Use is as above plus about an hours worth of playing the dark knight rises game on and off throughout the day (very graphically intensive).

Overall I'm very happy. Over 16 hours of battery life with regular use.

Unfortunately the besel and chamfered edge is badly scratched after a week of use :(

My case can't come soon enough!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

100% at 8:30
    72% at 20:20
    Low to medium use.

Was very worried when I first got the phone, around 6 hours from a full charge. Since then I have let her drain completely a couple of times followed by a full charge, very happy with it now.

• Advertisement

100% @ 7.30am
    68% @ 5.00pm

51% @ 10.16pm

WiFi on since 4.30pm
    Bluetooth on.
    Notifications and push on.
    Light useage in fairness between 7pm and now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Woke this morning at 6am and took it off the charge, light use and it was still at 97% at 2pm. Brilliant on standby anyway. I haven't drained the battery yet really and I only bought it on Saturday. Definite increase compared to all the workmates who have the 4s.

Use iPhone Regularly
    For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

From link above.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Didn't plug it in during yesterday to test it:

100% at circa 8am.
    30% at about 11pm.

Did about 2 hrs of podcast/radio app listening, and light/medium usage and messing about.

Elessar wrote: »
    Unfortunately the besel and chamfered edge is badly scratched after a week of use :(

My case can't come soon enough!!

Where are you based?
    I bought a cheap cover in Dublin City centre to get me by until my case comes from amazon.

White phone is still perfect since the day i bought it, and i had it a week earlier by going to Belfast :)

Please god i didnt jinx myself now :o

Some of you doing better than me

Took my phone off charge at 10:50am. It now at 90%. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

last night I still had 34% charge after starting at 8am on 100%.

Light use internet, 3 hours podcasts/music. A few calls (no more than 10 mins altogether.

I have the brightness way down and bluetooth off. Everything else including WiFi I leave on. I have email set to push.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭conor06

Havent noticed any difference in battery consumption from iPhone 4 to iPhone 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I have my iphone 5 two weeks this Friday, I think the battery life performance is ****e, the other day I was coming home from work on the train, just browsing the internet, facebook, twitter and sent a few texts and the battery went down 10% in 25 mins. Is there anything I can do? Should I contact apple?

I have most of the location services off, Siri off, birghtness way down.

On my iphone 4 I could have all these on (no siri) and my batter was never this bad.

• Advertisement

Ok I'm seeing some dreadful battery life today.

I did a full cycle charge today, unplugged the phone 15 minutes ago. I logged into Skype to send some IMs I also had the Simpsons "tapped out" game open. 15 minutes later its down to 90%. :(

Advertisement