Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How's your iPhone 5 battery?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

Not impressed with the battery life on mine.

100% @ 7am
    42% @ 5pm

13 minutes on phone calls, email is on 15 minute fetch, notifications turned on, played some games for about 20 mins this morning.
    Was expecting better. That said, I haven't done a proper charge cycle yet so I will reserve judgement for now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

100% @ 9am
    71% @ 5.06pm

Since I done one full charge cycle, ie. fully charge Anderson fully drain to the point where the phone switches itself off, the battery seems to be lasting a lot longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

Knock siri off if you dont use it everyday and 3g when you dont use it it will last a lot longer try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

wush06 wrote: »
    Knock siri off if you dont use it everyday and 3g when you dont use it it will last a lot longer try it.

This is what i dont understand, why buy the phone to turn most of its features off? This goes for iOS/Android/Windows etc

I dont mean to sound smart, so sorry if i do but i have everything on, always did, its one of the benefits of a smart phone imo.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

kceire wrote: »
    100% @ 9am
    71% @ 5.06pm

Since I done one full charge cycle, ie. fully charge Anderson fully drain to the point where the phone switches itself off, the battery seems to be lasting a lot longer.

What kind of use did you have during that? I've never gotten anything like that on any iPhone.

Do you use the phone as new or restore from backup?

kceire wrote: »
    This is what i dont understand, why buy the phone to turn most of its features off? This goes for iOS/Android/Windows etc

I dont mean to sound smart, so sorry if i do but i have everything on, always did, its one of the benefits of a smart phone imo.

That's all good if you use Siri every day or every hour I'm not saying knock everything off. When I'm not using the phone edge will do me ill get all my push stuff and when I need 3G ill knock it on.
    Siri likes to be connected to the servers a lot and if your in a bad 3G spot then your switching between edge and 3G it takes a lot.

Just saying it helps me out that's all

faceman wrote: »
    What kind of use did you have during that? I've never gotten anything like that on any iPhone.

Do you use the phone as new or restore from backup?

Restored from back up.
    General use, as per my previous posts.
    bluetooth on 24/7
    wifi on from 5pm to 11pm approx
    notifications and push on constantly.
    3G on
    basically everything on.

bit of surfing, emails, FB, twitter etc

100% @ 9am
    71% @ 5.06pm
    55% @ 9.51pm (from 7pm it has mainly been on standby but still connected to wifi)
    wush06 wrote: »
    That's all good if you use Siri every day or every hour I'm not saying knock everything off. When I'm not using the phone edge will do me ill get all my push stuff and when I need 3G ill knock it on.
    Siri likes to be connected to the servers a lot and if your in a bad 3G spot then your switching between edge and 3G it takes a lot.

Just saying it helps me out that's all

agh yeah, im not knocking it or anything, Different strokes for different folks and all that :)
    I have siri constantly on but only use it maybe 3 times a day when out walking or photographing.

Ok try knocking Siri off till you need it and the 3G also for two or three days and see how it goes. Knock 3G on if needed.
    I do be on wifi for a good bit of the day so for me it's ok. But I still need the 3G as well. Start with a full battery in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

Finding it pretty Spaulding to be honest. Possibly worse than my 4. Have Wifi on and would be connected all day either in work or at home. Bluetooth on as I need it when in car. Maybe slightly higher than average use but at 8.30am had 100% and now 14 hours later at 10.30pm I have 8%.

I'd rather have had the phone be slightly more chunky with a better battery I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Mine was 100% Wed morning 7.30am. Used to check e-mail, couple of phone calls & texts, general web browsing and used the sat nav/maps. Was about 45% at the end of the day. Again moderate use yesterday, a few phone calls, texts, checking mail/web and eventually the battery died at 10pm last night.

Charged it fully overnight, 100% @ 7.30am this morning, its 4pm now and its @ 96%. Haven't used it too much today apart from a few texts and e-mails.

I have wifi, siri, 3G & bluetooth on. I turn off location services and notifications are all manual.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

How does having Siri turned on (without actually using it) use battery? Just curious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

in this boat since I switched to an S3 and regretted it since. have to turn off bluetooth/wifi etc to make it last all day :(..upgrade is due around Oct 29th and I'm switching back to Apple asap....a miles better overall experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I have had the phone for 2 weeks now, It seems to be holding up the same as my 4, one full day of pretty heavy usage.

Problem is that there are nowhere near enough mini chargers knocking around places i'd visit, I must buy an adaptor and keep it with me whenever i'm out and about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Dades wrote: »
    How does having Siri turned on (without actually using it) use battery? Just curious!

Siri learns names of your mother etc... and to do this learning of your friends names etc..., it has to run a service in the background, constantly caching and inspecting the contents of your messages etc... to try to learn new words.

It is a bit of a waste of resources IMO since voice recognition never works properly IMO (I have done a project on it and studied the maths behind it, just don't believe it is reliable enough with the way it is implemented at present, need better techniques).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

thebman wrote: »
    Siri learns names of your mother etc... and to do this learning of your friends names etc..., it has to run a service in the background, constantly caching and inspecting the contents of your messages etc... to try to learn new words.

This is not how SIRI works. SIRI does not work in the background and is only using battery when you are actively using it. The only aspect of SIRI that will use some battery in the background is the "Raise to Speak" option as it monitors your iPhone's proximity sensor to activate Siri when you switch on the phone and then raise to your ear. This can be switched off by going to General > Siri and turn off "Raise to Speak". The rest of the SIRI features are unaffected by this and wont drain your battery unless you are using them in the foreground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It is a bit of a waste of resources IMO since voice recognition never works properly IMO (I have done a project on it and studied the maths behind it, just don't believe it is reliable enough with the way it is implemented at present, need better techniques).

Siri doesn't "learn" any names.

You set the relationship in the contact and it picks it up from there!

WTF I think you may be mistaken there thebman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Any updates on how the batteries are holding out after a decent amount
    of charging cycles?

Did the software update help at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Any updates on how the batteries are holding out after a decent amount
    of charging cycles?

Did the software update help at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Hey Captain, how does it compare to the S3? Currently debating whether to change or not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I took mine off charge at 7:55 this morning and used it for a fair bit of browsing for about an hour. By 9am it was at 83%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Got an iPhone 5 at launch, upgrading from iphone 4. When I setup the new phone I elected to copy my current data and settings via icloud. But i found that the battery didn't last as long as my 2 year old iphone 4. Got a day out of it at best.

I read that this can often occur if you set up a new phone as a copy of an existing one, so last weekend I wiped the iphone 5 completely and set it up as a new phone.

Happy to report this has made a big difference to my battery. Charged it on Saturday, now on Monday I've had it on standy for 2 days, 4 hours, usage (browsing, news, twitter, email, etc) for 8 hours 33 mins and have 4% left. huge improvement. Before I'd only get 24 hours on standby based on similiar usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Out of curiosity. Does the network your on, effect your battery? As in the more you use 3g for data etc. The quicker your battery drains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Out of curiosity. Does the network your on, effect your battery? As in the more you use 3g for data etc. The quicker your battery drains.

Yes, the more you use 3g or other functionalities the more you're going to drain the battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes, the more you use 3g or other functionalities the more you're going to drain the battery.

Ow I know that. Sorry What I meant is. Does the more you use 3g on a certain network make a difference to battery life.

For example an hour on vodafone, Meteor or 02?

Advertisement