Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much did you get for your commumion?

• 01-10-2012 6:27pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Thinking back to mine, I got £11. Was totally over the moon and bought myself some sticky dart guns from my local Toymaster.

Now people are getting and giving insane amounts. I don't understand the point of even giving money for these events? What's the purpose behind it?

How much did you get for your Communion 56 votes

£/€0 - £/€20
    0% 0 votes
    £/€20 - £/€50
    37% 21 votes
    £/€50 - £/€100
    23% 13 votes
    £/€100 +
    39% 22 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I don't understand the point of even giving money for these events? What's the purpose behind it?
    Sorscha needs to learn respect for things, so her communion money will go towards feeding her 25k pony for the next month!

Enough to buy a sega megadrive in 1996

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Got nearly two hundred. Bought some toys, hoarded the rest.
    I used to be quite good at saving :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Not enough.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

I got give or take €300, a few others in my class hit the €1000 mark...pricks :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Got mario 64 and a Nintendo 64 plus a load of small bits and pieces like a blow up couch which were all the rage back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Bout three fiddy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Jaysus, I'm not even that old so I guess my parents/relations are just tight arses!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

£80-something in 1986. It was the day before my birthday though so that bumped it up a fair bit.

Bought toys with some of it, put the rest in the post office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Between 20 and 50, it would have been around 1990. My mother would tell relations to have some sense if they tried to throw money at any of us and all credit to her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

2 shillings and sixpence........and the priest rubbed my balls for luck:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Around £120 in 1990. My cousins were all in their 20s/30s by then though so I was spoiled by them as well as by aunts/uncles/grandparents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I'll just go and count it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Didn't partake in these particular festivities so that'd be a flat zero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

0.56 old money :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Nothing - I made my communion in the UK in 1982. The whole money thing wasn't done back then. Actually, I'm not sure kids making their communion in the UK do the whole money thing even now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭purplegeko

I got £80 in old money and thought i was loaded - i bought a Nintendo game and my mam made me put the rest in the Post Office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I think I got €250? This was back in 2002.

My spoilt cousin got nearly a grand in total! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

£132, that was about '94 I think, not too shabby :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

I got well over 100 euro. Brother took me to by a budgie and cage. Most expensive budgie and cage I ever bought because I never saw that money again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

600 euro for communion and 800 for confirmation. Wish I kept it for when I actually needed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

I can't remember :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

About IR£30-40 I think. Everyone else in my class seemed to get way more, most claimed to get a couple of hundred at least. Looking back now I think,

1) 95% were spoofing
    2) Numeracy skills were lacking (due to spending all our class time preparing for communion)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

1100 - not sure if pounds or euro . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Around £60 in 1989. I remember feeling very pleased with myself, buying my mum a Choc Ice on the way home from mass the next morning. This was before Magnums, when the humble Choc Ice was considered second only to Cornetto in terms of ice cream extravagance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

IPAM wrote: »
    £132, that was about '94 I think, not too shabby :)

It's confirmed, my family was just poor :(

Did mine in the same year (I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Heathens get nothing :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Joekers

I'm hoping for around 500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Im thinking I should do it again if you can make that kind of money on the deal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Should we adjust for 25+ years of inflation if applicable?

About £100 I think. Can't really remember. Can't remember what I bought or anything like that. Sure I was only 7. My mam probably stole half of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭JamieKCCO

I got around £600 in 1996...I wonder where it all went? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I got...€550? Jesus, it was a lot of money. Bought a GBA, Harry Potter, a pressie for my brother and sister and the rest (around €200 ish?) went into the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

JamieKCCO wrote: »
    I got around £600 in 1996...I wonder where it all went? :(

Well if you're from Cavan it's probably exactly where you left it 16 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭JamieKCCO

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Well if you're from Cavan it's probably exactly where you left it 16 years ago.

No I'm not from Cavan but I'll check there, thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I got €500 for my communion.

Would have got €250 more if my family members hadn't thought it a good idea to adopt a dolphin for me.
    I hated that dolphin. "little fucklipper" is what I called him, I'd be sitting eating breakfast in the morning and my mother would come in with the post, a letter addressed to me from little flipper.

He'd send me pictures of himself lapping up my €250, living the fine life in the sun, the little bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Tope

Got a tenner altogether: £5 from my godfather and £5 from my auntie, and that was it money wise. Was given rosary beads and a little statue of Mary too, just what every 7 year old wants!
    This was in 1983, but still I think I got the least of anyone I knew - most of my friends got around £50 and upwards.
    Biggest amount in my class was £100 - we thought that kid was spoilt rotten back then! Nothing compared to what they get now, I find the whole thing bizarre these days.

I was only 5 so I haven't a clue if/what I got
    I'm sure any money went into the post office
    I do remember getting a couple of kids' bibles
    I'm sure those would go down well these days as gifts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I got an eternity of salvation.
    Some tacky cünts cap in hand collecting cash for a religious ritual, stinks of poverty in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

I am Commumion, with the power to commum you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

45 pounds. My brother got over one hundred pounds, two years later. Inflation, apparently. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

thruppence ha'penny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Dead Man Walking

50 punt in about 81. bought a 4 man tent, old heavy triangle style, family got about 4 years of summer holidays in wexford out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

How old are kids when they do their communion? Eight? Nine? And they get hundreds just like that?

dafuq do they do with that much money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

£103 in 1986

£0 for my communion. I got £50 for my confirmation though and put it towards my first very own bike though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

It went into the post office- never saw it after that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'm english, so we didn't get communion money :( think I got a WHsmith's voucher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

A few quid away for the price of a commador 64.. All the rage back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

We don't do 1st Communion in the C of I thank God.

• Advertisement
Advertisement