Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Evacuation Plan/Air Raid Siren

Options
  • 01-10-2012 6:34pm

Every now and then I hear them testing the air-raid siren and it's got me wondering; if there was ever actual air raid or an attack, where do we go? Is there any form of plan made out in any eventuality, as slim to none as that might be?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You mean the fog-horn :confused:
    You take your iodine pill and keep calm.

snubbleste wrote: »
    You mean the fog-horn :confused:
    You take your iodine pill and keep calm.

Is it a fog horn or an air raid siren?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's a fog-horn.
    Why would such a peace-loving town in a neutral country have an air-raid siren?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Thats actaully the good people at Galway Fire Service testing the Siren. Its tested quite a bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Every now and then I hear them testing the air-raid siren and it's got me wondering; if there was ever actual air raid or an attack, where do we go? Is there any form of plan made out in any eventuality, as slim to none as that might be?

Yes there is a nuclear shelter under Moneenagiesha School - presumably only for VIPs so the city executive, local HSE management etc. There is probably a major emergency plan in the back of some filing cabinet in City hall.

The FCA used to have the job of bomb reporting. You got to sit in a bunker and watch dials for blast waves and for detonations above the horizon. Theory was they then phoned them in to a central command point.

As for the rest of the population - well at least there's iodine tablets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭primrose_lily

Yes there is a nuclear shelter under Moneenagiesha School - presumably only for VIPs so the city executive, local HSE management etc. There is probably a major emergency plan in the back of some filing cabinet in City hall.

The FCA used to have the job of bomb reporting. You got to sit in a bunker and watch dials for blast waves and for detonations above the horizon. Theory was they then phoned them in to a central command point.

Under Moneenagiesha school? Hmm interesting....i heard something alright today and thought that it sounded like an air raid siren...then...i kept walking...haha id be fecked if it was for real, didnt even raise an eyebrow to it :) just thought, jeez thats an annoying sound! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

I remember watching an interview with Cold War RAF Vulcan Bomber pilots who were on Nuclear QRA ( Quick Reaction Alert ) ready to head for Soviet Targets, they said that it was almost guaranteed that when they launched for Soviet targets and made the journey home that they would quite simply have no home to go to as the UK/British Isles would quite literally not exist. So good luck to Iodine tablets.

Dont forget that Shannon was a legitimate Nuclear target to the Soviets as was Bantry Bay which has the Whiddy oil terminal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Chicken1 wrote: »
    Thats actaully the good people at Galway Fire Service testing the Siren. Its tested quite a bit.

The good people in renmore barracks also test one about once a week.

It's an alarm for soldiers.

They test the one in Athlone every friday at 3pm as well, which was always a pain in the arse if you were in bed sick in my house growing up as we lived about 40 yards from the stupid ****ing siren.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I thought it was a warning for the oil tanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

There is no longer a shelter in monaghesa thats a store room now for civil defence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

I remember reading the disaster plan a few years ago, there's designated sites around the city, two of them being Mary's secondary school and a community center in renmore, can't remember the rest. It's at these sites that bottled water and food would be distributed and blankets and cots provided. The plan is very detailed, list of everything to do in multiple disaster cases and how to conduct a city-wide evacuation and using the emergency broadcast channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

if there was ever actual air raid or an attack, where do we go?

The county council can tell you the plan for your part of Galway.

contact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Both the city and county have their own separate major emergency plans, cant find the city plan online but the county one is here

http://www.galway.ie/en/about/MajorEmergencyPlan/Galway%20Co%20Co%20MEP%20-%20Final%20Draft3.pdf

The county fire service covers both city and county so I'd imagine the plan is similar, pretty sure I have a copy of it at work so I'll have a skim over it tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Weren't all Irish fog horns decommissioned in 2011?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I thought it was a warning for the oil tanks?

Why would they want to warn the oil tanks about anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

This is really about zombies, isn't it, boney?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Why would they want to warn the oil tanks about anything?

sorry to warn us about them, well in case the oil tanks exploded im pretty sure that the city would be affected

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Simarillion

It's just Galway Fire Brigade calling the volunteer firemen to the station.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/CorporateServices/OtherCorporateServices/EmergencyPlan/
    It's OK - the city council have a plan.

They don't say what it is but it is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

It's just Galway Fire Brigade calling the volunteer firemen to the station.

That's what it used to be in my home place - in the days before pagers and mobile phone. The firemen also used to have a bell in their homes connected by phone line, just a bell nothing fancy like a phone.

When it was revving up and down(instead of continuous) it meant these was a serious incident.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

We take Pete's car, we drive over to Mum's, we go in, take care of Philip - "I'm so sorry, Philip" - then we grab Mum, we go to the Winchester O'Connells, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

dilallio wrote: »
    We take Pete's car, we drive over to Mum's, we go in, take care of Philip - "I'm so sorry, Philip" - then we grab Mum, we go to the Winchester O'Connells, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

I'd buy that for a dollar...

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

It's only a matter of time before the Mayo hordes complete their infiltration tactics and move to all out military assault.

Therefore Galway's air raid preparedness is of the utmost importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Turf flinging hardly counts as an air raid....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 cytop

Back to somewhat on topic, anybody remember this fascinating little booklet about what to do in the event of the bomb going off...?

http://www.brandnewretro.ie/2011/11/11/survival-in-a-nuclear-war-advice-from-irish-civil-service-1960s/

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

i dont even have iodine tablets. should i have a stock of them at home or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

You'll be grand they should all be out of date by now anyway! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dublinerbarbie

I heard it today morning. To be honest I f** hate to wake up for this, I just jump out of the bed, and run to the baby room... Yes I got into panic very easily.. But I NEVER EVER heard the feckin siren before, never. And now its the second time I hear it in the last few weeks. First one also woke me up, and me jump out of the bed. Maybe I watched Silent Hill too many times, but I dont think I am the only one who is freaked out by the sound of the siren.. :/

Ficheall wrote: »
    This is really about zombies, isn't it, boney?

Maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

.dont think they use the horns at all.

Advertisement