Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New fuse box

Options
  • 01-10-2012 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I need a new fuse box for my house, can anyone recommend a good Electrian in Galway that won't overcharge?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

I need a new fuse box for my house, can anyone recommend a good Electrian in Galway that won't overcharge?

Thanks in advance!

Out of curiosity what makes you think you need a new fuse box?

How old is the house/wiring?

Are there fuses blowing constantly that lead you to believe you need a new board?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Galwayfoodie

leeomurchu wrote: »

Thanks in advance!

Out of curiosity what makes you think you need a new fuse box?

How old is the house/wiring?

Are there fuses blowing constantly that lead you to believe you need a new board?

Well the oven washing machine and two plug sockets went so I replaced all of the fuses one by one and only the oven came back on. Today I tried to change more fuses and now even though the digital clock is in the oven, the actual oven won't turn on. It's the old fuse box with ceramic fuses.

House was built in the 70's.

Nightmare!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Probably a good idea to have the consumer unit replaced if it is old. I wonder will you also be replacing the oven?

Well the oven washing machine and two plug sockets went so I replaced all of the fuses one by one and only the oven came back on. Today I tried to change more fuses and now even though the digital clock is in the oven, the actual oven won't turn on. It's the old fuse box with ceramic fuses.

House was built in the 70's.

Nightmare!

Do you know if it's the original wiring, it might need to be rewired you generally rewire after 30-35 years. It might be required on your house insurance policy.

Fuses blowing are a sign of a fault somewhere either a faulty appliance or wiring. Replacing the board won't fix a fault andis more likely to unearth more.

The cables in the back of the socket might be loose.

How old is the cooker. You might just have to reset the time clock on it as the power was off its probably returned to factory default

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

For the oven, try pressing the manual button, usually a hand symbol, to enable using it without timer settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Galwayfoodie

That worked, cooker working again thanks a mil!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

top man robbie;)

One down you're off to a good start :D

meercat wrote: »
    top man robbie;)

Ah C'mon throw a dog a bone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

leeomurchu wrote: »
    meercat wrote: »
    top man robbie;)