Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

semi vs over&under

Options
  • 01-10-2012 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

so i hope to buy my first shotgun in the comin weeks but im stuck and cant decide whether to get a semi or o/u:confused:

the gun will be used for clays and the odd bit of game shooting. so im looking for pros and cons of both types and if anyone wants to recommend a make and model great. my budget is 800 max but as the gun will only get used a handful of times each month i hoping to find a bargin!!

thanks in advance for any and all info!

TB26

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    so i hope to buy my first shotgun in the comin weeks but im stuck and cant decide whether to get a semi or o/u:confused:

the gun will be used for clays and the odd bit of game shooting. so im looking for pros and cons of both types and if anyone wants to recommend a make and model great. my budget is 800 max but as the gun will only get used a handful of times each month i hoping to find a bargin!!

thanks in advance for any and all info!

TB26

Do any of your mates have an o/u or semi?
    Have you gone with them shooting on various different disciplines?

As far as I can see due to your type of shooting an o/u would suit you.

O/u's are generally lighter then semis so would suit long days rough shooting. Game gun would be suitable.
    O/us are easier to unload when climbing gates ditches etc and also are very safe on clay ranges as the barrels are open.

Two shots out of an o/u are enough in rough shooting and clays.

Semi more suited for ducks, and decoying.

It's up to you, it's a buyers market so shop around find a gun that fits you well..

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Tommy87

Have you ruled out a side by side??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Go for an Over/Under.

If it's clays with the odd bit of game an O/U would suit you best. More favoured on clay ranges, and as said above easier to unload, make safe both on the range, and for game.

Also for that extra shot, as anything over 3 will require a restricted license, it's not really a deal breaker in my books.

For your budget there are a nice few second hand guns. Everything form Beretta to Browning. If it's new then your budget would be just enough for a Bettinsoli. A subsidiary of Beretta. I had one and loved it. Great for clays, and not so expensive that you are nervous to bring out for game.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Tommy87 wrote: »
    Have you ruled out a side by side??

tried one on my shoulder and didnt like it at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

Invincible wrote: »

Very strange looking gun! Interesting though.

I am looking at the A391 Xtrema 2 Synthetic and the A400 Xtreme Unico Synthetic, with kick off for the reason I need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Invincible

Hunter21 wrote: »
    If you have €4500 for it maybe :D one in my local gun shop here.

Saw one in a dealers a few months back, he said 1900 was the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Try both types of guns and then decide.
    By trying I mean get out in the field or clay range,and try them both to your style of shooting.
    Asking people which is better will lead to debates on the merits or faults of both until the cows come home.:D
    Find and shoot with what you feel most comfortable with,and shoot it a lot to get better with it.

Its a buyers market at the moment so there is plenty to chose from when you make your choice.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Hey Tommy hope your keeping well, my view would be Auto all the way only coz I've had them I've the kidsall many over and unders, a side by side and two other autos which where heavyweights, ive chopped and changed so many times now and at the end I've a Bennelli auto bought second hand for less than a grand. They are light 7lb and with little recoil, these are out there second hand but hard to find.
    As for on the range Autos are as good as not welcome at some shoots, but good safety habit will keep out of trouble.
    Any Questions feel free...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

TB26,
    I like my 20ga o/u for clays, I can swing it fast and shoot better with it than with the 12ga.

With that said, I would go with an auto if it were to be my only shotgun. The o/u is more specific than the auto, and the sxs more specific still.

I think the auto is the perfect gun for general use and merriment.

Just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

so i went to hilltop today to look at some shotguns. after lookin at alot of shotguns i tried a few and ended up buyin a bettinsoli diamond o/u and got it at a great price. i could recommend hilltop enough they have a fantastic selection of firearms for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Nice one good to hear you got something that suits you.

I fired my semi for the first time today I'm also happy.

How long will the process be before you get your license

Advertisement