Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic weightlifting in Galway City Gym

Options
  • 01-10-2012 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi Lads ,
    I saw a post or two here about weightlifting in Galway ,
    At the moment we are meeting up in Galway City Gym by prior arrangement for coaching , (people give their mobiles and we all text and see what schedule suits everyone) , So If anyone here is interested in training Olympic Lifting please PM me your details and ill get back to you .

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Does Galway City Gym have a collection of bumper plates? I'm not in Ireland at the moment but that's a real plus as i'm hoping to try olympic lifting in the new year when I get back to Galway.

Is there many of you oly lifting in GCG at the moment? I know there is a good few powerlifters and bodybuilders that train there along with recreational gym goers but I wasn't aware of an oly lifting scene there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Furryst

Hi TheSegal , there are bumpers , bars and so forth , there are around 10 or 12 lifters out of there but you wont usually find them all there at once ,for example there were 6 there today , so I am not sure if you would describe it as a "scene" :)
    City gym was the first place to take in Oly lifting in Galway and that was years ago , and it has been going on , albeit quietly , for some time .

You'll be more than welcome .

This is a weightlifting class that will be fun and functional for all comers, from total beginners, male and female, old and young, suitable for all levels of fitness or indeed lack offitness.
    Learn a new skill while getting fitter, faster, stronger and more flexible.
    This will run for four weeks and is coached by myself along with other experienced Olympic lifting coachs.
    Classes run for 90 mins and include some weights based conditioning games.
    Four weeks of classes with Galways best weightlifting coach in Galway most high performance facility for only 60 euro.
    Best opportunity anybody associated with any type of sport/fitness could have to pick up this unique skill in a fun setting.

November 9 at 6:15pm

meeting at the gym in the connacht rugby sports ground

Spaces are exceedingly limited , i think that there are three spaces left so pm me if you wish to book .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Here's who's running the course alongside Mike:

Just so ya'll know it's legit!

Weightlifting Club and coaching in Galway
    I think that there is enough interest to create a pretty decent team now ,This video has been put up to attract more potential lifters.Hopefully it will let more people know that it is going on .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=narcW4N0Ou4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 sophiapoz

Anyone know if there is weightlifting for beginners in the Kingfisher Gym??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

sophiapoz wrote: »
    Anyone know if there is weightlifting for beginners in the Kingfisher Gym??

I would be utterly amazed.

The lads above are two of the only people to listen to around on weightlifting. They're on your doorstep. Go train with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Are Galway city gym still offering lessons in olympic weight lifting? Im movintoar Galway for a year in September and wouldnt mind learning how to do the olympic lifts properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

The lads who were operating the classes are now working out of limitless health in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Limitless-Health/390178284416724?fref=ts

Link to the fb page for Limitless. They run a 3 week intro to weightlifting course and then you can just the main class.....Mon, Wed and Fri from 5:30 to 7.

If you have any interest in olympic lifting, this is the only place to be in Galway. Two outstanding coaches who are bang on (Kevin, the guy from the video above, is one of the country's best ever lifters) and a great environment within the gym.....what more could you ask for!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement