Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP!!!! getting dogs to canada

• 01-10-2012 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello, just a quick question..my boyfriend and I are moving to calgary in the new year, We have 2 staffies we want to bring with us. These dogs are very kind temperment and are not aggressive in any way. However, we are aware of the stereotypes of these dogs created by the stereotypical Staffie owners in the ireland of which we are not. I know that Canada is very strict about Pitbulls, but is it the same with Staffies?also we've been quoted nearly 2000 euro to ship them out to us at a later date,but now ive learned that if u fly wit ur pet it will only cost us 150 euro per dog witch is a massive drop, any advise on this would be great thanks:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

Here is a carrier that was recommended to me http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/pets.html

you could try lufthansa as well.

I don't know about the laws about "Restricted Breeds". good luck and hope you don't have too many obstacles in your path.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 eavansara

Hi there

Would love to know more about this too! Planning on hopefully taking our two dogs (mixed mutts) with us next year. We've looked into paperwork and vet requirements etc, but its the getting them there. Cheapest/best way to fly or ship them. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Frostine

Ontario and New Brunswick are the only provinces that have a ban on Pit Bull type dogs. Calgary does not have any restrictions right now. There was discussion this summer due to some nasty attacks on people, but no legislation yet. Edmonton does have some restrictions, but it is not illegal to own a Pit Bull type dog. Here are some links you may find helpful:http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/breederinfo/breederinfo11.htm,
    http://www.edmonton.ca/for_residents/pets/restricted_dogs.aspx, http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/ABS/Pages/Animal-Services/Responsible-pet-ownership-bylaw.aspx.

I personally think the problem is always with the owner and not the breed. Any breed of dog can be vicious when it's not trained properly. Good luck with the move, I hope your family (including your dogs) like it here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

I brought my dog zeus here, Calgary. He came after me though so solo.

Your dog can only fly with you if it is under a certain weight. Which varies greatly airline to airline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

PM me if you have any questions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭tinyfox

We moved from Cork to Vancouver in May and got our collie sent over to us about 2 weeks later. I can give you the name of the company in Dublin we used and any other info you want. The lads with the company were really helpful and were in contact with me every step of the way. I rang them a million times before and during her travels and never felt like I was being a bother.

We sent her in a Gulliver Travel size 7 box which is fairly big and it cost us €800 for her travel. She also needed her Irish passport and for that she had to get a rabies injection and a blood test and all in I think that was about €100 and her vet did all that for us. The day before she travelled she went to the vet again to get a worm dose and a final check so she could have her passport stamped indicating she was fit for travel.

PM me if you want any more info smile.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4 vocaw

Hi I am thinking about bring my dog out to Canada as well could ye tell what company ye used and how ye got on

Advertisement