Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abbeyshrule Aerodrome Upgrade

Options
  • 01-10-2012 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

New to this forum and don't know if this posted already but just noticed over on Etenders that Abbeyshrule is to have its runway extended by 300mts and widened. Could there be a new regional airport springing up in the midlands? According to Ultraflight website current length is 800 Mts so it will be 1,100 mts after extension. Is this long enough for regional services ?

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=SEP390575

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I would really doubt that there are any plans for airlines to provide a regional service to abbeyshrule. With the M4 you have ample access to the midlands from Dublin. There are enough struggling airports in the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

I wouldn't think there is any need for the Runway extension. The current length is grand for what they use it for.

Cant see any support from the Government, any plans from any Airline or any possible reason why they need it. Although i did see a Cessna Citation up there one day.

Anyway it would be nice for the lads up in EIAB to get it, but how do they plan on extending it by 300 meters. The max as far as i can see would be 100-150m. Especially with the River Inny (i think) at both sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

There's plenty of room for expansion at the eastern end of the runway. It's just bog there at the moment.

As for it being a regional airport, that'll be the day. It takes more than a runway extension to make that happen. You'd need navaids, ILS etc etc. That's all big bucks.

No it's most likely it's a useful extension for general aviation traffic. It'll be nice to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭tippilot

bluecode wrote: »
    There's plenty of room for expansion at the eastern end of the runway. It's just bog there at the moment.

Equally challenging from an engineering point of view. Ever driven over a bog road? Ouch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Landed in a virtual bog a couple of times. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Imagine a regional airport with what is practically a single lane access road, along an unfenced canal, and with a cut stone hump backed bridge, which involves two 90 degree turns to cross! Would be interesting all right! Iver in cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 68,794 ✭✭✭✭L1011

1,100 is long enough for an ATR72 (not at MTOW but within spec, from memory) but I seriously doubt there is any intent for airline services to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Any word on this project. Has the contract being awarded?

Advertisement