Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relatives and friends gone forever.

• 01-10-2012 11:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

Are memories enough to get over loved ones dying. We'll all have to experience our parents dying for example unless we die first.

Sometimes the thought that loved ones will be gone forever into nothingness freaks me out a bit. That's it gone for good.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

What's with the depressing threads tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Happy happy joy joy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

There are places I remember
    All my life, though some have changed
    Some forever not for better
    Some have gone and some remain
    All these places have their moments
    With lovers and friends I still can recall
    Some are dead and some are living
    In my life I've loved them all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Nothing like reading a positive upbeat thread on boards before bed aye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

The thought that my siblings will die before me (I'm the youngest by a good bit) is an absolutely sickening one. I'd much rather die first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The thought that my siblings will die before me (I'm the youngest by a good bit) is an absolutely sickening one. I'd much rather die first.

That can be arranged....for a price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Gauss wrote: »
    Are memories enough to get over loved ones dying. We'll all have to experience our parents dying for example unless we die first.

Sometimes the thought that loved ones will be gone forever into nothingness freaks me out a bit. That's it gone for good.
    They're not really gone in some respects. People have children so they reproduce their genes, then they often program their children with their own life learnings so they can be even better than they were.

Humans live on through their children in ways that supersede natures intentions. We know of people and their stories going back generations and millennia, children often carry on, not just memories but behaviours of their parents You could jump into the future a generation or two and probably see your grandchildren walking down the road just like your father did. That's a type of immortality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Ah it's nothing to be freaked out about. When we do die I firmly believe it will be like a dreamless sleep, one we obviously never wake up from though. Sometimes when I wake up in the morning and can't remember anything from the previous 7 hours, I think that's what death must be like from a dead person's perspective(if you'll excuse the oxymoron :))

There's something strangely peaceful about nothingness if you think about it for long enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Balls to that. The thought that me will be gone forever into nothingness freaks me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

humbert wrote: »
    Balls to that. The thought that me will be gone forever into nothingness freaks me out.

I'm rather looking forward to it. Who the hell would want to live forever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Everyone and everything will break down to atoms and exist forever. Night all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

The thought of living forever scared me even as a kid. Phuk that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Me, absolutely me. Hopefully when they cure death everyone else shares sentiment, I'll be first in the queue.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Humbert I am with you all the way here!

The best perspective I found on it, and it hasnt cured my fear at all but its the best I found was a quote from Mark Twain.

"I don't fear death, I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never caused me the slightest inconvenience".

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Glenn_Flinn

We DO live forever. All of us. The people on this forum are just sheep beyond belief, and Atheism is the hip thing sheep are 'bahh'ing along to these days.

Living forever won't be unpleasant. Unpleasantness only comes from being a spiritual entity trapped in animal flesh like we are all experiencing now. But it's just an experience. The only thing that's for certain is that we live forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Ugh. Accept the inevitable or spend the rest of your only existence scared.

I know what I'm going to do. Good luck everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    The thought of living forever scared me even as a kid. Phuk that.

Yea living forever could be boring too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Birth implies death.

Thing to do is make new friends.
    Make younger friends.
    Look to the next generation of relatives too.

People live on in memories, and you can pass on those memories as stories to younger relations. If you don't tell the stories who will remember ?

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

Advertisement