Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brown bin

• 01-10-2012 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Just doing the yearly budget and i realised there is no financial benefit in using our brown bin as apposed to lumping everything except green bin materials into the black bin.

We are charged half the price of the black bin to get the brown bin collected and therefore are led to believe we are saving money by throwing our biodegradable waste into the brown bin.

However it was at this point i realised the brown bin is half the size of the black bin and therefore it costs the same per kg to get collected. On top of this the waste company's then sell the brown bin waste as compost for a tidy sum and thus make money from the collection and the resell.

So basically have we been sold this idea that we will save money by segregating food waste whereas we are paying the waste companies to make money.

Great marketing if nothing else.

Am i gone mad or am i making any sense at all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Either burn it all or bung it all in together and dump it up a mountain somewhere.

Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Youssef Chippo

Dump it in a bog be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

just burn all the potato peels, teabags, stalks, nappies ect.... thats what we do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

just burn all the potato peels, teabags, stalks, nappies ect.... thats what we do

Seriously? Could you not compost this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

We run the gas off the electricity and the electricity off the gas and we save two hundred pounds a year, but then a few weeks later ah god, I'll never forget it now, we got a new boiler..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Youssef Chippo

MadsL wrote: »
    Sure a few bags of compost can be bought from the money saved from buying a compost bin and other compost related paraphernalia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

MadsL wrote: »

cheaper than buying a tag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Our brown bin is the same size as our black bin and our company charges us a flat fee.

Change company.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 smois6

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Our brown bin is the same size as our black bin and our company charges us a flat fee.

Change company.
    Yes our company charges a flat rate too for black and brown so basically whatever you can fit in gets lifted but its still the same price weather you pay by lift or weight. Also no company in my area offers a brown bin the same size as black bin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Sure a few bags of compost can be bought from the money saved from buying a compost bin and other compost related paraphernalia.

Missing the point tbh.

Compost bin & paraphernalia??? :confused:
    Patch of ground, a pile and a garden fork ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

What a rubbish thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Never thought that, op.
    Interesting view. People who do use brown bins are just helping these companies make more money.

On the subject, I hate the way we have to pay for our bins to be collected. Refuse collection being free worked well for years. It was a service your taxes paid for.... now, not only do you have to pay for it, but you pay MORE taxes aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Get a dog, no need for a brown bin then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Man you're talking some garbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

My brown bin costs €2 and my grey bin costs €7. I have no problem with greyhound making money by selling the compost, although I do think there should be more competition in the market. I don't feel that I always have to be incentivised to not be a shíthead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Live over the border. Both bins and recycling boxes are free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Our refuse bin used to be charged by weight and the recycling one free. Now there is a flat fee for the refuse one, so we don't bother recycling too much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

Get a dog fatten it up and sell it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

My recycling bin is red and us the same size as the regular grey bin but costs 4euro less but is only collected once a month so most recyclable stuff gets binned in the grey regular bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Burning nappies? Hmm, I love inhaling dioxins, ta!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Get a little pig make him big get the bacon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Rubbise service. Refuse to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Don't use what you can't bury or burn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

The biggest scam is the bottle banks. You're basically giving them money and doing a lot of the hard work by bringing the glass to them or the drop off boxes. They could at least offer some kind of financial incentive through supermarket return schemes or curbside collections every 2 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

griffdaddy wrote: »
    The biggest scam is the bottle banks. You're basically giving them money and doing a lot of the hard work by bringing the glass to them or the drop off boxes. They could at least offer some kind of financial incentive through supermarket return schemes or curbside collections every 2 months

Well you are saving by not having to pay to bin them.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Brown bin?

No longer a bin... it'll be used to collect rain water of my gutter to wash my car. Gotta keep those water charges down :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Well you are saving by not having to pay to bin them.

Glass isn't really waste though. It's actually worth money. You get about 4 quid for bringing back a crate with 24 bottles in Holland, even more in Germany I think, same in Canada and loads of other places. Essentially in Ireland you're driving to their drop off point and posting money in their box. If you let your stuff build up you could be looking at about 40-50euro every few weeks, especially if you're young and house share. They could at least come and pick them once in a while if they're not paying for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

Brown bin?

No longer a bin... it'll be used to collect rain water of my gutter to wash my car. Gotta keep those water charges down :)

Is it not full of holes to aerate the organic matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Don't think so... its just a theory for now, will be put into practise when the charges are introduced.

• Advertisement

Good business opportunity for you so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Less of the backyard burning suggestions please.

It's illegal, selfish and ignorant.

I don't care how many generations of your family have been doing it without causing anyone any harm. You're the first member of your family that'll be prosectued for it!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

My Recycling and Compost bins are free and my Regular waste is pay by weight...

To be honest - I don't use the compost bin as I have my own composter in the garden - Everything goes into it and I've never had to empty it in 8 years , take a little bit out in spring every year for the plants , but otherwise it just rots down to virtually nothing...

My recycling Bin is substantially larger than the regular waste bin too..the result being that I'm now on the lowest pay level available (avg 10kg per lift) -

Bins are collected every 2 weeks.

Sounds to me like some of these companies are taking the piss a bit...

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    MTo be honest - I don't use the compost bin as I have my own composter in the garden - Everything goes into it and I've never had to empty it in 8 years , take a little bit out in spring every year for the plants , but otherwise it just rots down to virtually nothing...

You can put some things in it that you may not be composting, primarily fats and meat.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Zab wrote: »
    You can put some things in it that you may not be composting, primarily fats and meat.

Everything organic goes into my composter except bones - I have several cats and the composter is well away from the house , so any risks of attracting vermin are heavily mitigated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Man you're talking some garbage.

hey, that trash talking is going too far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Glass isn't really waste though. It's actually worth money. You get about 4 quid for bringing back a crate with 24 bottles in Holland, even more in Germany I think, same in Canada and loads of other places. Essentially in Ireland you're driving to their drop off point and posting money in their box. If you let your stuff build up you could be looking at about 40-50euro every few weeks, especially if you're young and house share. They could at least come and pick them once in a while if they're not paying for them.

Yeah but the difference is that they probably recycle the Glass in their own country, there are no Glass Processing plants in ROI anymore, so it all has to be exported at a cost

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Doop

While you may not be saving money with your current company charging the way they are, is not incentive enough that you are reducing our
    dependance on landfills by fillign them with useable recyclable organic waste?

Compost heap FTW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

The brown bin is ideal for generating chandlers for all your fishing needs!

Advertisement