Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LGH Gone Totally Non Smoking

Options
  • 01-10-2012 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

As the title says, the General Hospital has gone totally Non Smoking i.e. You are not allowed to smoke ANYWHERE with in the grounds of the hospital.. Not outside the door, the car park, behind a shed up the back etc.

Think they've lost the plot there, plenty of other issues they should be concentrating on that should be more of a priority rather than stopping ppl having a smoke outside in the fresh air...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I can understand a hospital trying to discourage smoking tbf though,

I mean if you are in there with the aim being to get healthy again, it seems silly that you can go outside the front door in a nice shelter to smoke!

Justy opinion though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭apache

Most of the hospitals in Dublin are the same. I'm sure others too?
    I got heckled at a yellow line once. They had people patrolling it and one of my feet was over the yellow line!
    What I think is ridiculous is people who are dying and have to drag their oxygen tanks etc a long long way to have a smoke. They hardly care at this stage about smoking - the one little comfort they have left. Ridiculous and maddens me!
    Also then the cheek of them selling cakes and frys which add to obesity but they are making money from that so they won't stop that. Double standards...

If someone wants to continue to smoke then don't go to hospital imo. If you are on an oxygen tank I think it would be wise to not smoke!

Kind of defeats the purpose of being treated by medical professionals....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭apache

If someone wants to continue to smoke then don't go to hospital imo. If you are on an oxygen tank I think it would be wise to not smoke!

They are dying. I don't think they care yeah? When my mate was dying she smoked with her oxygen tank. Neighbour did too. Plenty do!
    Thats a naive attitude to have! (but then again with your user name)
    lets not treat fat people while we are at it and those who get skin cancer from a holiday in the sun. Like really???
    people with STDs shouldn't be treated either...seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Guys, its a good topic but as per the charter we will have to keep the comments directed at how the smoking ban is affecting people here in Donegal. I know its difficult but "them there's the rules"

• Advertisement

apache wrote: »

They are dying. I don't think they care yeah? When my mate was dying she smoked with her oxygen tank. Neighbour did too. Plenty do!
    Thats a naive attitude to have! (but then again with your user name)
    lets not treat fat people while we are at it and those who get skin cancer from a holiday in the sun. Like really???
    people with STDs shouldn't be treated either...seriously?

But not everyone in a hospital is dying, so I don't think they should be smoking. They should be treated for their smoking addiction and everything should be done to encourage them to quit so they are not suffering in a hospital.

Likewise with overweight people, the they are not fed junk food in a hospital, it's not encouraged and they are educated on the dangers of over-indulgence, and the importance of a healthy diet and lifestyle.

Everything you listed above, anything that leads to that ailment is not encourage by doctors in a hospital, why should smoking be easier to do?

And just because most do it doesn't mean it's right...

My uncle had major heart trouble, went to hospital and got surgery. He was told it was a result of his smoking, guess what he done? Stopped smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

As I said keep the posts on topic and in accordance with the charter. We can leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think its a good move.

Advertisement