Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In heat dog

• 02-10-2012 12:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    My Lab was a bit overweight during the summer, getting chunky and not as fit, easily tired out.

So I decided to cut back on her food, (well mostly the scraps) we would give her.

She is on a diet of nuggets now, and has slimmed down.

she was late coming into heat this time, she is 3 in december, and her first heat the next 2 were 6 months apart, and this one was 8 months for whatever reason.

So she seems to look a lot thinner, can this happen to bitches in heat?

I am gonna bulk her up a bit this week, adding some cooked rice to her meals and some mince.. She needs a treat! She is usually an off the lead dog, but cant let her out of my sight at the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭SunDog

In heat:D not gonna be fun for you. The bitch is not even three yrs. and already "chunky" and "easily tired out". May I suggest not only to stop feeding her "scraps" but more importantly start to give her more prolonged and engaging exercise.If her system has been used to eating high fats and carbs and then this is curtailed, the hormones/body may just be adjusting. Plus she may just be getting into her adult dog phase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

SunDog wrote: »
    In heat:D not gonna be fun for you. The bitch is not even three yrs. and already "chunky" and "easily tired out". May I suggest not only to stop feeding her "scraps" but more importantly start to give her more prolonged and engaging exercise.If her system has been used to eating high fats and carbs and then this is curtailed, the hormones/body may just be adjusting. Plus she may just be getting into her adult dog phase.

How dare you reply to me in such a tone.

My dog is a very much cared for and loved pet. Who is well looked after!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Quality wrote: »

Personally I think it was a good piece of advice

If the op had asked about my dogs exercise regime I think that they would be quite surprised to hear that she is an active dog. She swims five times a week. Spends 5 days a week with me doing 5km on the beach off lead.

We have fields beside our home which she is allowed to roam (obviously not now whilst in heat.)

When i said tired out, it may be to do with her transition from puppy to adult.
    But this extra weight loss is worrying as on the recommended dosage of her high quality nuggets, I have started to notice her ribs.

Labs are an obese dog. For anyone who has one here they can surely agree with me there. She would eat rings around herself of not controlled.

My question is does the heat affect their weight at all?

I am worried about her, because I love her. And the tone of sun dogs post wasn't helpful and quite insulting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

I don't think it was suggested otherwise. Only that a dog of that age really ought not be chunky or easily tired. It's easy for dogs to put on weight from scraps and equally hard for owners to ignore those fabulous begging eyes, but in the long run it rarely does the dog any good.
    Can I ask what type of feed she is getting? If she's fit and doing well I don't understand why you'd need to bulk her up this week.

EDIT ( I totally understand how Labs get fat, they are terrific scroungers, my friend has two and if food is not placed out of reach or locked away for get about it. It's gone in seconds. :))

• Advertisement

Whites lamb is her food. The chicken makes her fart! Which is not pleasant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

How much exercise is you lab getting?
    How much food are you giving her?
    And how heavy is she?

...my lab is 22 months old. She weights ~26kg (but I haven't weighed her in a while). She's fed 270g of redwitch dry food ONLY. She get's at min 1 hour off lead on the beach every day (one day a week she gets a 40min on lead walk) irregardless of weather conditions.

You love your pet for sure, but if you want to show your love to your pet, then you need to make sure you are walking it enough, and you are not feeding it too much. If your lab is "chunky" and "easily tired out" then either there's room for improvement in her exercise or diet.

You say she swims - for how long? Is this part of the 5km walk? My 1 hour off lead beachwalk doesn't have time for proper swims (just run in the water) and covers 6km - so it sounds like you're hitting the mark on the exercise.

So it comes down to diet...

Here's a thread I got some great advice in for our lab.

If the op had asked about my dogs exercise regime I think that they would be quite surprised
    ...well if the OP had posted this the first time around....
    We have fields beside our home which she is allowed to roam
    This isn't exercise. (And you shouldn't let your dog roam.)
    When i said tired out, it may be to do with her transition from puppy to adult.
    This didn't happen my lab.
    But this extra weight loss is worrying as on the recommended dosage of her high quality nuggets, I have started to notice her ribs.
    Thats a good sign. Be happy with this.
    Labs are an obese dog.
    They are prone to obesity - it's not the same thing.
    She would eat rings around herself of not controlled.
    Very true, we need to monitor what they eat carefully, and feed them accordingly.
    My question is does the heat affect their weight at all?
    I wouldn't have thought so, but my lab is neutered so I can't say for sure.

She will always end up in the sea when on her walks everyday. but i find its not great for her coat to be in salty water every day. So her Swimming is separate to the walks, as I have to drive her to the river. She likes to dive as well so bring her to a small local marina sometimes. She loves to retrieve from the water. In fairness she won't be swimming as much during the winter,

The daughter will bring her out for a walk a couple of times a week. But it won't be a serious walk, just a ramble In the evenings, more to get rid of the daughter than the dog!

She has always been superfit, and has been spending some time with my friends 12mth husky lately. She does seem to tire out before him and is a bit slower now, where as she used to be faster.

Also the fields beside us are massive! She heads off for a ramble in the evenings and covers a good few acres. My house is elevated so have sight of her.

Zulu wrote: »
    ...well if the OP had posted this the first time around....

This isn't exercise. (And you shouldn't let your dog roam.)

This didn't happen my lab.
    Thats a good sign. Be happy with this.

They are prone to obesity - it's not the same thing.
    Very true, we need to monitor what they eat carefully, and feed them accordingly.

I wouldn't have thought so, but my lab is neutered so I can't say for sure.

Is ur lab a bitch? My lab is 12 months older than urs so maybe yours will settle a bit more for you. Mine still had puppy behaviour at 23 months. In fairness some parts if her are still puppyish at 34 months

Yeah I know I have to sort out the neutering. It's been a hectic year, The plan is to have her done before Xmas. Have to wait a few weeks for her blood vessels to settle after this heat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Your dog shouldnt be allowed to roam, its actually against the law!! She could be picked up by a dog warden or worse, stolen. Seriously, how do people still allow their dogs to do this and think its ok??

Is your dog out everyday with you or the daughter, which is it? You need to seriously look at the way you are treating this dog and be a bit more responsible. You say you love her? Then dont let her ramble and being at risk at being stolen, lifted by the dog warden or worse, shot by a local farmer if she strays into one of their fields!!

andreac wrote: »
    Your dog shouldnt be allowed to roam, its actually against the law!! She could be picked up by a dog warden or worse, stolen. Seriously, how do people still allow their dogs to do this and think its ok??

Your dog needs proper exercise, not just a walk a couple of times a week which you say is just a ramble, she needs proper focused exercise. You need to seriously look at the way you are treating this dog and be a bit more responsible. You say you love her? Then dont let her ramble and being at risk at being stolen, lifted by the dog warden or worse, shot by a local farmer if she strays into one of their fields!!

Please re read ALL my posts in regards to my dogs exercise regime.

FFS If I need to up the dogs exercise regime, there will be nothing left of me. Never mind the dog!

Ive just edited it there. But you havent addressed the other queries regarding roaming??

You say you have her out walking, but your daughter has her out a few times a week, which is it?

She gets more than one walk a day is what that was supposed to read like.

Walks on beach in morning; swimming or rambling in evening.

andreac wrote: »
    You say you love her? !!

This sort of statement is uncalled for. IMO.

What about the roaming, you havent replied to that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭SunDog

OP my intention/tone was not to offend. I was merely going by what you had said. It is clearly obvious you love your dog.
    My own lab also used to love taking a run and jump into any body of water at the slightest nod:)
    If your inclined to think there is something wrong with your dog maybe visit the vet. Owners should be the first to see a change with there dog.
    Hope she'll be well and best of luck

This sort of statement is uncalled for. IMO.

Well its my opinion, anyone that loves their dog wouldnt be so irresponsible to let them roam and put them in a position where they can come to harm and that is exactly what you are doing.

The fields are beside my elevated house. Where I can see her sniffing about and running.

Hopefully there won't be a dog warden hiding in the long grass waiting to take her

• Advertisement

SunDog wrote: »
    OP my intention/tone was not to offend. I was merely going by what you had said. It is clearly obvious you love your dog.
    My own lab also used to love taking a run and jump into any body of water at the slightest nod:)
    If your inclined to think there is something wrong with your dog maybe visit the vet. Owners should be the first to see a change with there dog.
    Hope she'll be well and best of luck

Thank you for the decent civil reply.

I am worried about her.

But as it goes on a lot of these forums. Everything u say and do is used against you and construed to make you the Worst pet owner in the world.

It's easy to be a Cnut to people on boards, not so easy for people to be nice.

I thought I might get some friendly advice from a pet loving community here but, everything I say and do seems to me criticised.

Thanks to all the posters who replied.

I still haven't had an answer to my question in whether anyone thinks that a heat can affect a bitches body weight.

A heat can have a bitch all over the place regarding hormones. A lot of bitches can go off their food and therefore lose condition that way, but unless your bitch isnt eating, then she shouldnt be losing condition.

It sounds like your bitch is getting bit fitter so i wouldnt worry, its not good for a dog to be chunky to they are better to be a bit on the lean side than chunky side.

So her Swimming is separate to the walks, as I have to drive her to the river.
    Ok, that's all good. So how long is she swimming for?
    The daughter will bring her out for a walk a couple of times a week. But it won't be a serious walk, just a ramble In the evenings, more to get rid of the daughter than the dog!
    Ok, so it's a 5km walk somedays, and a ramble others, isit?
    I'm not clear what exercise she's getting... perhaps give us an honest "typical" week?
    Also the fields beside us are massive! She heads off for a ramble in the evenings and covers a good few acres. My house is elevated so have sight of her.
    Ok, but this isn't counted as exercise. A "ramble" isn't exercise.
    As for letting her off to do this - I'm with Andreac on this point, but I'll leave it there.
    Is ur lab a bitch? My lab is 12 months older than urs so maybe yours will settle a bit more for you.
    Yeah she's a she - but she's settled fine. Great dog, just needs TONNES of exercise. I'm only giving her the bare minimum with what I'm doing. You can see it in her behaviour when she's exercised properly (5hour hill walk), she responds brilliantly.
    Mine still had puppy behaviour at 23 months. In fairness some parts if her are still puppyish at 34 months
    Ah yea, sure mines still only a puppy.
    To be fair Quality, you could be a little clearer in the exercise. Fair enough you've probably posted it all here, but it's hard to follow/understand.
    FFS If I need to up the dogs exercise regime, there will be nothing left of me. Never mind the dog!
    EXACTLY! That's what you get/thats the "joy" of owning a gun dog/working dog! She's going to need far more exercise that you!

she is walked twice a day or walk/swims every day, except for the two days a week I work, a lot of the time i work my husband is off and he brings her out during the day. I will always bring her out in the evening, generally for a swim when i have been working approx half an hour.. she dock dives and retrieves.

her walks in the morning are 1 hour + and her evening walks/ swims are shorter maybe half an hour

we try to bring her with us when we go places at the weekend. Which is a bit easier now that she has settled down a lot. when I am in the house during the day she can enter the fields..

They are safe, and no road frontage near them, I can see her from my house/garden..

she would not be let out to roam at night/ or in dark. she is never let off the lead on the road to roam either, although she is fantastic to command.

she is also left on lead when in heat, although the beach we use is remote i would not take the risk.. ( and yes, getting her spayed will be done)

She is a clever dog and well trained, obedient, kind, loving and a BIG part of my family.

13 year old daughter would not be as vigorous with walk as I would.. But I think it is important that she pull her weight with our family dog, and take her out in the evening, especially when me and her father have done the morning walks.

Well then, kudos! Looks like the exercise is all good, fair dues to you. She's sure to be dropping the lb's if you're feeding her right.

With that exercise & a good diet you should have a beautiful lean, happy, healthy lab! I wouldn't be concerned about the weight dropping - sounds like it should be. It's good for her to have a waist & barely visible ribs.

Start weighing her. Once a week @ the same time. If the weight is dropping & you're still worried - bring her to a vet. But it sounds like you're on a winner there.

Well then, kudos! Looks like the exercise is all good, fair dues to you. She's sure to be dropping the lb's if you're feeding her right.

With that exercise & a good diet you should have a beautiful lean, happy, healthy lab! I wouldn't be concerned about the weight dropping - sounds like it should be. It's good for her to have a waist & barely visible ribs.

Start weighing her. Once a week @ the same time. If the weight is dropping & you're still worried - bring her to a vet. But it sounds like you're on a winner there.

i have never weighed her before, (expects stoning from crowd:o:))

How do you do it?

or do you bring her somewhere?

i have never weighed her before, (expects stoning from crowd)
    Quality, maybe drop the attitude a little. I know (pretty sure) it's not aimed at me, but it's getting trite & is hardly working towards getting more positive responses. People are trying to help in their own way, and if you listen openly you'll get great advice here.
    How do you do it?
    Well, I weigh myself. Then I pick her up and get my wife to read the new weight! :)
    or do you bring her somewhere?
    My local vets offer a free "weightwatchers" for dogs (anicare in fairview), but any vet would allow you to use their scales free of charge.

Quality, maybe drop the attitude a little. I know (pretty sure) it's not aimed at me, but it's getting trite & is hardly working towards getting more positive responses. People are trying to help in their own way, and if you listen openly you'll get great advice here.

Well, I weigh myself. Then I pick her up and get my wife to read the new weight! :)

My local vets offer a free "weightwatchers" for dogs (anicare in fairview), but any vet would allow you to use their scales free of charge.

That was meant as a joke.. he he.. should have put smiley face beside. will edit. Sorry if it offended you.

You are being very helpful, thanks. Because you give positive feedback and constructive criticism.

Ok I wont be lifting the dog.. but will get husband to do it later, and check weight charts on google and monitor over next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

Every single time I see a post from someone looking for advice on their dogs I know, without doubt, you will have a smart and mostly insulting comment to say. Can you just give advice on the questions asked or if not, stay away !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

reeta wrote: »
    Every single time I see a post from someone looking for advice on their dogs I know, without doubt, you will have a smart and mostly insulting comment to say. Can you just give advice on the questions asked or if not, stay away !

Apologies that reply was for Andreac!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement