Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In heat dog

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Quality wrote: »
    That was meant as a joke.. he he.. should have put smiley face beside. will edit. Sorry if it offended you.
    Ok cool :) let's all be friends!
    Ok I wont be lifting the dog.. but will get husband to do it later, and check weight charts on google and monitor over next few weeks.
    Ok, do get your husband to lift her (she's in for a shock if she's not too used to it, our Chloe just looks at my with the best "WTF" face), but do NOT bother with weight charts. Seriously.
    I was following them and similar guidelines and it cause our problem with weight. In simple terms, the charts at for "average" dogs. Our lab is from field stock & not show, so she's a good bit smaller. Also, she's a petite lab on top of this! You'll need to deal with your own dogs needs.

Essentially, she should have a waist, and you should be able to feel her ribs with out digging for them. I'd say if you keep an eye on her weight, and you've a visible waste just maintain that. Then the next time she into the vet (for her shots or what have you) have a chat with them.
    reeta wrote: »
    Every single time I see a post... ...you will have a smart and mostly insulting comment to say. Can you just give advice on the questions asked or if not, stay away !
    Who is this aimed at? And has it ANY help or advice for the OP. Because from the look of it, it's just another caustic, inflammatory, comment that serves the exact purpose you're complaining about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

i have never weighed her before, (expects stoning from crowd:o:))

How do you do it?

or do you bring her somewhere?

My vet has a treadmill looking weighing scales, very accurate, IF you can get your bloomin' dog to stop moving (!) Would your vet have one of these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Yes our girl is a field version and is quite big for a girl, height and paws wise.. massive paws.

she is as big as any male she has been in contact with down our way.. Except for head size.. Hence needing the husband to lift.

Thanks for the advice Zulu, I will get onto the vet cause want to find out when best to get her done and he might be able to advise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Some of the Maxi Zoo pet stores have a weighing scales if there is any of them near you.

IF you can get your bloomin' dog to stop moving (!)
    Thats the easiest thing for labs. Wave a piece of liver or lamb or salami under their nose, and tell them to sit.
    And be in awe of their statue-esque stillness while focused intensely on your food. :D Bloody "hungers mother".

• Advertisement

My vet has a treadmill looking weighing scales, very accurate, IF you can get your bloomin' dog to stop moving (!) Would your vet have one of these?

ha ha, thats hilarious,, a treadmill for dogs?? :D Yep will ring the vet later...

but have to see my husband struggle first.. although maybe best to wait til she is out of heat.

Thanks for the advice Zulu, I will get onto the vet cause want to find out when best to get her done and he might be able to advise.
    No worries! If you have any other questions, don't be afraid to ask. We're nice, honest :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Zulu wrote: »
    Thats the easiest thing for labs. Wave a piece of liver or lamb or salami under their nose, and tell them to sit.
    And be in awe of their statue-esque stillness while focused intensely on your food. :D Bloody "hungers mother".

Heh, I forgot food focus, but of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

This is a handy chart for assessing whether or not your dog is under or overweight.
    dog_weight_chart1.jpg

Thanks,

Yes I can see her ribs. slightly, and thats where my worry was.. in fairness, she has never been obese, but probably on the heavy side, ie never saw the ribs before. She is definitely not thin.

She is probably at a good weight for her size. but am defo gonna get her checked.

That chart is very helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Thanks,

Yes I can see her ribs. slightly, and thats where my worry was.. in fairness, she has never been obese, but probably on the heavy side, ie never saw the ribs before. She is definitely not thin.

She is probably at a good weight for her size. but am defo gonna get her checked.

That chart is very helpful.
    It's not uncommon for people to think that if you can see their ribs they're too thin. Another factor is that the majority of labs one sees around are massively overweight so, for a lot of people, a lab that's the proper weight looks really skinny.

I use that chart for checking my own weight! "Can I just about feel my ribs without pressing in? Do I have a noticeable waist? Yes? Excellent, I'm at a healthy weight."

ETA: Here's a picture of Rani (on the right) the night she arrived at my house. You can see what a little pudding she was; she had difficulty walking 30 minutes and had a noticable limp.
    20585919a6146106330l.jpg

This picture was taken after we got the weight off of her, it's a couple of years old, but she's still the same weight. She'll do an hour's walk standing on her head, and there is no discernable lameness or stiffness, despite the fact she's about 13. Just realised she looks a bit underweight, but it's only because she's stretching her head down.
    20585919a8574585393l.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

How dare you reply to me in such a tone.

My dog is a very much cared for and loved pet. Who is well looked after!

Clearly...:rolleyes:

She will always end up in the sea when on her walks everyday. but i find its not great for her coat to be in salty water every day. So her Swimming is separate to the walks, as I have to drive her to the river. She likes to dive as well so bring her to a small local marina sometimes. She loves to retrieve from the water. In fairness she won't be swimming as much during the winter,

The daughter will bring her out for a walk a couple of times a week. But it won't be a serious walk, just a ramble In the evenings, more to get rid of the daughter than the dog!

She has always been superfit, and has been spending some time with my friends 12mth husky lately. She does seem to tire out before him and is a bit slower now, where as she used to be faster.

Also the fields beside us are massive! She heads off for a ramble in the evenings and covers a good few acres. My house is elevated so have sight of her.

I dont think its a good idea to let your dog roam. Even if you can see her, what good can you do from the window? Is there livestock around? Other dogs? Taffic? Children? Poison? How can you have sight of her over "a good few acres"?

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Clearly...:rolleyes:

Sigh. Why did you bother? Honestly, why? Did it make you feel better about yourself?
    The whole thing was done and dusted. The conversation had moved on in a positive direction.

Sigh. Why did you bother? Honestly, why? Did it make you feel better about yourself?
    The whole thing was done and dusted. The conversation had moved on in a positive direction.

Er...because its my opinion and I type as I feel essentially. I dont use Boards to make myself feel better, didn't think anyone did tbh, that's a little sad :(
    btw you seem to have missed my post directly below regarding the dangers of allowing your dog to roam...:D

btw you seem to have missed my post directly below regarding the dangers of allowing your dog to roam...:D
    no I got that, my objection was with the snide remark & the :rolleyes:.
    I don't see how that post could be interpreted as being friendly, helpful or civil.

no I got that, my objection was with the snide remark & the :rolleyes:.
    I don't see how that post could be interpreted as being friendly, helpful or civil.

Oh I'm sorry

oh great...:pac:

another idiot with their smart remarks, and snide comments.

Just what this thread was missing..

Thanks to all the true posters, who are a huge asset to this forum, especially Zulu and Kylith.

the rest of you could do with some obedience training yourselves..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Zulu, that's exactly how we weigh our dogs, husband on scales, weight noted, husband picks up dog, weight noted, subtract the difference and voila!! And there's me thinking we had hit on an ingenious way to do it!!

Reeta - who is your post directed at?

oh great...:pac:

another idiot with their smart remarks, and snide comments.

Just what this thread was missing..

Thanks to all the true posters, who are a huge asset to this forum, especially Zulu and Kylith.

the rest of you could do with some obedience training yourselves..

I think what this post actually means is that you want to come onto boards and ask people advice about your dog, but if someone advises you (for example against letting your dog roam, as I did, and pointed out the possible dangers to your dog as well as to livestock, children, other animals etc) and you dont want to listen to that advice you just have a go at them. So, why bother? The first poster that replied to you (apologies I will check name in a sec) gave sound advice and you got all high and mighty asking how dare someone answer you in that manner - just because you didn't like the advice.

For what its worth reading the rest of your posts it sounds like your dog has a quality of life superior to that of a lot of dogs, and it's a pity there are not more people willing to put in that amount of time exercising etc, but I suppose you dont want to hear that from me because you've already labelled me "snide" and "an idiot" and "in need of obedience classes" because I happened to say something you didnt like :(

• Advertisement

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Zulu, that's exactly how we weigh our dogs, husband on scales, weight noted, husband picks up dog, weight noted, subtract the difference and voila!! And there's me thinking we had hit on an ingenious way to do it!!

Reeta - who is your post directed at?

Likewise (and cats too) - we have an monthly "weigh in" lol :D

because you've already labelled me "snide" and "an idiot" and "in need of obedience classes" because I happened to say something you didnt like :(

Nah, I had a look over some of your other past posts to confirm that...:rolleyes:

...snip

I don't know why I bother. Fine folks, be bitches to each other, I'm out. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Another train wreck of a thread.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement