Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Leash?

Options
  • 02-10-2012 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

I'm a beginner surfer using an old single fin 1970s fibreglass board (7.5f). My leash is really elastic, like a typical car elastic. Is this recommended these days, after I wipeout I can usually tug the lease slightly and the board will rebound back to me... its basic string, elastic cord and velcro cuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

There should be some stretch & elasticity in a leash, generally more so the longer it is, but it should not be rebounding back in a violent alarming manner.

Equally, if I'm reading your post correctly that is, your leash should've been replaced long ago.
    No leash is designed to be used for that period of time i.e. circa 70/80's up to now.
    Over time all the general wear & tear, abuse, sea water & sunlight, scratches received, pinching underfoot or in car doors etc etc will impact upon the ability of the leash to do it's job reliabily ultimately causing it to fail.... when you'll need it most!

Replace it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

The first leashes were made out of bungee elastic like the ones you use onbikes as a kid to hold your school bag on. If it's like that then stop using it, the board will come flying back at you. The father of the guy who invted leashes lost his eye that way. Also it's old and could easily snap.Now they are made of urethane cord and stretch but not as much as a bungee cord.

Get a new one, about 8ft should be OK for your board. Dakie make goodleashes as do BIC, Creatures of Leisure. Personally I wouldn't use a FCS one asthe one and only one I has snapped when it shouldn't have.

When you fit the new one make sure string on the board is short so that thewebbing at the end is touching off the board, it's called the rail saver and isthere to stop the string or cord from cutting into the board when it's stretchedfully.

Also be aware that leashes are an aid - they do break so you need to be able to swim in if it breaks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Personally I wouldn't use a FCS one asthe one and only one I has snapped when it shouldn't have

Begs the question, how many have you actually snapped :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

They can all snap at any stage, a weak point are the metal connections (swivels etc) as these can corrode with salt especially if left to dry for a lengthy period.

In my case zippers on wetsuits and boardbags are other items that have corroded with salt over the years.

Even the boot of my car a few years back was beginning to show signs of salt corrosion at one stage with a white residue under the carpet eating away the metal, I used to just throw all my wet gear into a bag and some salt water would remain in the boot everytime.

Boiling hot water is best thing to clean out the salt, dissolves it instantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

What are the best leashes going.

I have a bulldog leash that I've used for seven years now. I was nearly going too recommend them but the rubber ankle swivel joint started to rip after about 2 years and would have snapped if I hadn't of noticed it. happened in indonesia of all places. I got one of the lads who make the board bags there to fix it up with a bit of cord. Bombproof ever since. It tends to get wrapped around your legs and board more often though without the swivel... anyway I think i'll get a new one for the winter before i loose a board.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

7 years?! I was always told to change them every 6 months if you surf a lot :eek: Having said that, the leash on my log has been on the go for over a year now (it's FCS), have been thinking of getting a new one.

I've never had leashes snap but have had the velcro fail on them, was pretty shook after the first time it happened.

6 months, maybe if you surf every day in hawaii. I've never snapped a leash. This one did pull the metal bar out of the plug though. Lucky enough the board went up the river and did get to badly smashed up.

I'm thinkin of getting a dakine one. All their windsurf gear is top quality.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I've never had leashes snap but have had the velcro fail on them, was pretty shook after the first time it happened.

Always rinse the velco straps when surfing beachs;)

Only once did the swim of shame one big day at easkey, luckily the board wasn't badly damaged but the anderson did leave a ding on the reef:pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

rodento wrote: »
    Always rinse the velco straps when surfing beachs;)

Only once did the swim of shame one big day at easkey, luckily the board wasn't badly damaged but the anderson did leave a ding on the reef:pac:

Hah I'm not surprised, was getting out of the water Sunday night at a rocky point break when I slipped, the Anderson got slammed down on a rock with my full weight on top of it. I was scared to look at the bottom but it hadn't even a dent much less a crack!

That wouldn't be the day of your famous "getting in trouble behind the pier" incident that i've seen mentioned around the internets? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Mickeroo wrote: »

Nothing like that 'oh sh*t moment' watching your board disappear towards the shore with you stranded facing a long swim :D

That's character building!

• Advertisement

Wasn't that day, but I had suited up with another fella and I was the first one in the water and I quickly realised that the fecker wasn't following me.

I made a decent effort to paddle to the left but feck me that just wasn't hoing to happen, I got caught in a rip from hell. I ended up been carried off to a wave out back that kinda was linking the left and the right. It was also one of the biggest waves I've ever seen.

I took a long hard look at what was happenning and knew I was in what they call trouble. Also realised it was far easier to get carried to this wave than try and paddle to the left. As I drifted out I watched the walls of white water coming in and knew that I had to catch one of these to get back in.

Plan was to paddle in to the impact zone and let the board carry me home. Didn't really care if it was written off just kinda hoped it'd work out well.

To my knowledge I've only ever be hit with worse white water surfing Pico Alto in peru.

Thought i was going to drown in it to be honest but I held on to my thuster for dear life and was eventually thrown clear. Ended up belly riding close to the harbour and thought i'd end up up the ramp, but was stucked backwards that thought i was about to be taken back out to sea.

Was saved by an orange life bouy and was fished out of the sea.

All I remember after that was been taken to LJ's and drinking into the night.

Learn't an awfull lot that day, most important was always have a plan to get into out out of the water and the importance of reading currents and rips and working out where one will end up once they jump into the water.

Happenned in 2003

High tide at left can be fairly dodgy when its pumpin. Serious flow of water around the end of the pier.

Learn't an awfull lot that day, most important was always have a plan to get into out out of the water and the importance of reading currents and rips and working out where one will end up once they jump into the water.

Happenned in 2003

That's not true, you still have no sense just how many times have you been rescued? Into double figures yet:p

That sounds horrendous! I've only ever been out at easkey in 2.5m swell so never seen it that crazy.

Can only think of three times myself:P

Once in Easkey, helped out of water at liss on high tide and in the maldives when Sun cream went into my eyes and I couldn't see a thing

Can only think of three times myself:P

Once in Easkey, helped out of water at liss on high tide and in the maldives when Sun cream went into my eyes and I couldn't see a thing

According to Four Seaasons they guys in the Maldives had a boat dedicated to just rescuing you :D:Dtongue.png

And were you not air lifted off a hill once

More like taxi'd off the mountain, finished a 700m ice face and was offered a free hilicopter ride off the mountain, who was I to refuse:D

Advertisement