Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone recommend a good hostel in Melbourne??

Options
  • 02-10-2012 4:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi guys,

A few of us are thinking of heading to the Melbourne races in November so just looking for ideas on where to stay. Somewhere cheap enough would be ideal!! So if anyone has any names of places please let me know!!

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭darcy07

habitat hq in st kilda is a good hostel good hour away from the races though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Space. Closer to the races than St kilda

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭manlad

The Gatwick Hotel Fitzroy St in St Kilda, its to die for, you might not leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

If you're just going to be here for the races, stay in the city or North Melbourne e.g.
    http://www.bevandmicks.com.au/ cheap n cheerful

As for the Gatwick, I'd cross the road rather than walk past it
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/st-kilda-hotel-of-horrors-in-limbo/story-fn7x8me2-1226155202062

• Registered Users Posts: 35 debs1

Thanks guys! Yeah think I may stay away from the Gatwick!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The Greenhouse backpackers is pretty central (on Swanson St near Flinders Station) and is prob the best backpackers I've been in while here in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

We're staying in the international backpackers on Elizabeth St.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

statina wrote: »
    We're staying in the international backpackers on Elizabeth St.

What do you think of it?

Sorry, I meant when we go to the Melbourne Cup. Why, is it crap?!!

No it's grand, especially for what you're looking for. For me though, I'm currently looking for work in Melbourne, so I'm looking for something different and I've moved up to the Greenhouse backpackers.

The rooms in the MIB are clean, it's a centrally enough location, the bathrooms are clean and are big enough too, the rooms are an ok enough size with lockers, the beds are comfortable, and there is a bar in the hostel so I'm guessing the above ticks all the boxes for what you're looking for.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »

No it's grand, especially for what you're looking for. For me though, I'm currently looking for work in Melbourne, so I'm looking for something different and I've moved up to the Greenhouse backpackers.

The rooms in the MIB are clean, it's a centrally enough location, the bathrooms are clean and are big enough too, the rooms are an ok enough size with lockers, the beds are comfortable, and there is a bar in the hostel so I'm guessing the above ticks all the boxes for what you're looking for.

we'l be on the solid piss so it sounds like just what we need! Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 47 elliott550

Bev and Micks is scumbag central. Sheer dirt of it.

Advertisement