Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardi to tackle cycle menaces

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you referring to the practice where cyclists cycle two abreast to control overtaking manouevres?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

are you referring to the practice where cyclists cycle two abreast to control overtaking manouevres?

Yes. Yet again I was blocked by 2 cyclists on a straight road for no good reason for about 2 miles last weekend. All they had to do was cycle in single file and allow the build up of traffic behind to pass but no, they took it upon themselves to takeover that stretch of road and hold everyone else up. Then they wonder why motorists get frustrated with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

So we are going to get arrested for j-walking? :P
    Hopefully, J Walkers are the scourge of all road users including motorists, motorcyclists and cyclists. :)

A Cyclist on the road is like a hemophiliac in a royal rumble and they still have the audacity to scream at drivers to be careful.
    But this law is obviously done to make money. I have seen police drive by drugys to fine somebody on the bike. These are the same police that are understaffed by the way ! Stupid Stupid Stupid.

All cyclists are guilty of is being slightly pricky

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Why don't Gardai deploy facial recognition CCTV to detect rogue cyclists that run traffic lights etc. surely this would free up staff that could be used for more useful tasks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

people often raise the point of cyclists getting penalty points; penalty points (someone tell me if i'm wrong) apply to your licence to drive.
    how do you endorse someone's licence to cycle when you do not need a licence to?

A lot of cyclists would have a driving licence, but unless all cyclists have one, it just doesn't seem feasible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

smash wrote: »
    Don't know why anyone thanked this. It's not the job of traffic corps and the average cop on the beat to track down gangland scumbags!
    Populist rhetoric raking in Thanks in AH? Well I never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Swanner wrote: »
    Yes. Yet again I was blocked by 2 cyclists on a straight road for no good reason for about 2 miles last weekend. All they had to do was cycle in single file and allow the build up of traffic behind to pass but no, they took it upon themselves to takeover that stretch of road and hold everyone else up. Then they wonder why motorists get frustrated with them.

because it's safer, it stops driver blindly overtaking, they have to slow and actually think about it, and you are done in one manoeuvre rather than prolonging it overtaking a longer distance if they were in a line.
    They are perfectly entitled to cycle two abreast without any issues, just because you think you are inconvenienced slightly.
    If you can't pay two abreast due to road conditions then you should not be overtaking a single file either as you clearly couldn't give the required space while passing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

dearg lady wrote: »
    the amount of pedestrians that wander out in front of my bike is unreal. In the city centre this could easily happen to me 5 or 10 times on a 30 minute cycle. It's constant and it's very annoying.

This is why I have a bell on my bike, and I'm not afraid to use it.

Shame so many people have earphones plugged in, and can't hear anything else at all. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Off with there heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Even of we were to agree on that point it still doesn't address the hypocrisy.
    There's no hypocrisy involved in safe cyclist. Most car lanes don't have enough room for a car to safely pass a bike. Two bikes really doesn't make that much difference.

Look around you, man. Cyclists don't hold up cars, for anything more than a few seconds. It's cars that hold up cars.
    Bradidup wrote: »
    Why don't Gardai deploy facial recognition CCTV to detect rogue cyclists that run traffic lights etc. surely this would free up staff that could be used for more useful tasks.

Seems a bit OTT to me, but provided it is done in parallel with detecting rogue pedestrians who walk out in front of bikes without looking, and rogue drivers on their phone, and rogue speeding drivers and all those other rogues, then fire away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

The amount of anti-cyclist rhetoric on this thread is hilarious.

Cyclists are great. They cycle to work, soaked from the rain and their own sweat, freeing up traffic for motorists like me.

These martyrs should be encouraged. We shouldn’t be putting them off with licence and insurance bureaucracy or nanny-state helmet laws.

Somebody else suggested that cyclists should have to wear a hi-vis with a serial number. The law already provides that if a cyclist who is suspected of committing some offence can have his bike taken from him by a Garda, if said cyclist doesn’t give his details. (S.108 Road Traffic Act, as amended – below*) We may not need to force them to wear a Star of David, after all.

The laws to regulate cyclists’ behaviour are already there. Anyone who suggests we need to ‘clamp down on cyclists’ with new laws should look at the existing laws first. (Although I agree with allowing cyclists to turn left on red if the way is clear – this would free up traffic for all road users).

This cycling clampdown will doubtless land a few shaggy students in court for having no lights on their bikes. It’ll be another great day for justice.

I’m looking forward to see what the Gardai have in store for us after the pedestrians have been schooled. Maybe they’ll crack down on blasphemers next.

*108.— A member of the Garda Síochána may demand of a person in charge of a pedal cycle whom the member suspects of having committed any crime or offence or of having been concerned or involved in a collision or other event in a public place causing injury to person or property, the name and address and date of birth of such person, and if such a person refuses or fails to give his or her name and address and date of birth or gives a name or address or date of birth which the member has reasonable grounds for believing to be false or misleading, the member may take the cycle, by reasonable force if necessary, and retain it until such time as he or she is satisfied as to the identity of such person.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I take it a tad of exaggeration here then if thats the case, either that or your a cat nervous driver who needs a runway to pass out. Its not as if you are passing out a convoy of cars now is it.

While I agree totally that the law needs to be put on cyclists who don't heed the rules of the road, some of the comments on here are straight out of the "Joe Duffys - I need something to moan about", as for the suggestion to fine a cyclist 5 euro for a digression, maybe the need to do the same for not been able to spell! Don't go spouting on something you obviously don't have an understanding about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

This is why I have a bell on my bike, and I'm not afraid to use it.

When I was commuting to college I use to carry a fog horn attached to the pushbike handlebars, far more effective than any bell.

Worked wonders with cagers and Jay walkers.

http://www.buckandhickman.com/find/keyword-is-Roebuck/category-is-Unclassified/product-is-1266579

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yes. Yet again I was blocked by 2 cyclists on a straight road for no good reason for about 2 miles last weekend.
    if it was a perfectly straight road, and you could not overtake, there must have been oncoming traffic.
    it's perfectly possible that if you were unable to overtake two cyclists moving at maybe 30kph, it does not sound like there were optimum overtaking conditions; so the cyclists prevented you from overtaking them in a move which might result in you having to cut back in on top of them quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

It appears to me that a complete redesign of our road structure is badly needed. It is not optimal to have cars, bikes, motorbikes, Trucks, pedestrians on the one road. With different speeds, physical characteristics etc there is a lot of room for conflict and frustration.

It seems that city centres, about 3-4 km in diameter should be free from all vehicular traffic except for bringing in heavy deliveries. They do this in historical centres in France, Italy etc and it makes walking and cycling in those centres less stressful for people getting to their destination.

On the other hand these countries have autostrada and autoroutes where speeds of 130 kph are routine......

Several trunk roads exist with 80 kph limits but no access for cyclists or pedestrians except on dedicated lanes and limited places for crossing etc.

As a pedestrian you risk a fine by crossing anywhere but on these dedicated places.

In urban centres on the continent it seems that you do not get the same level of uncertainty you get here. Traffic in general ( and I include all forms perhaps except boats....) behave in a predictable way. This is the nub of the problem, that road users expect other road users to act according to the rules as printed without realising that those who do not do a formal course in road usage, usually cyclists and pedestrians, will not necessarily have the skills or rules unless thay alos happen to be motorists, motor bikers, or truckers etc.

This does not mean that the people that have to do courses and get licenses behave better on the road than those who don't as it is human nature to stretch rules and see if "they can get away it".

Fear is the only thing that keeps everyone in line and that needs constant police presence and consistent enforcement and supervision.

In reference to comparing bikes to toys, there is a large difference between a commuter on tha way to the city centre and a child in a suburban estate.

The commuter is far more likely to encounter large volumes of fast moving traffic in a stressful situation than the child in the residential area.

He or she is also more likely to cause hold-ups, uncertainty and "close shaves" than the child at leisurely play.

Adult, city centre cyclists should have some form of ready identification just like motorists which allows ease of solving the law enforcement problem of accurately assigning blame to those who break tha law.

As mentioned before I believe this to be the central nub of the problem in why the Guards find it hard to enforce the law on cyclists or pedestrians.

There is no doubt that conflict exists on our roads on a daily basis due to inconsistent application of rules and bad overall design of our transport infrastructure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

http://www.streetsblog.org/2011/09/19/study-1000-peds-injured-annually-by-cyclists-statewide-number-is-dropping/
    Summary and Conclusions
    Several important findings have emerged from this study. First and foremost, the incidence of pedestrians involved in accidents with cyclists who needed to receive medical treatment at a hospital far exceeds previous estimates. Earlier research, based on a sample of hospitals nationwide,estimated that there were approximately 1,000 pedestrians hit by a cyclist each year in the United States who needed to obtain medical treatment at hospital. This present study, based on every hospital in New York State, has found that in New York State alone, there were approximately 1000 pedestrians struck by cyclists each year necessitating medical treatment at a hospital. Even this figure grossly underestimates the frequency with which pedestrians are injured in collisions with cyclists. This figure of 1,000, for example, excludes pedestrians involved in cycling accidents who received medical attention at a walk-in clinic or from their own personal physician.Moreover, it excludes countless number of pedestrians involved in cycling accidents who either did not sustain injuries at all or whose injuries were not serious enough to warrant seeking professional medical attention.A second finding emerging from this study is that the profile of pedestrians injured in cycling accidents is a distinctive one. Compared to the population for New York State as a whole, victims tend to be much younger and to remembers of minority racial/ethnic groups. In particular, Hispanics are overrepresented among pedestrians involved in cycling accidents.There are also notable demographic differences between out-patients and in- patients who have been involved in pedestrian-cyclist accidents. In-patients,who have sustained more serious injuries, are more apt to be female and older when compared to out-patients.Finally, the geographic distribution of pedestrians involved in cycling accidents tends to be concentrated in New York City as compared to the rest of the state and also to be concentrated in specific locales within the city.Brooklyn has the highest number of patients and Manhattan has the second highest number of patients. Even within these boroughs, accident victims tend to cluster within smaller geographical units. These boroughs also lead in terms of the total number of pedestrian fatalities.In sum, this study supports the wide body of anecdotal data that pedestrians are at risk not only from motor vehicle drivers but also from cyclists. In any collision between a pedestrian and a cyclist, blame might be assigned to the pedestrian, to the cyclist, or to both parties. This study has not furnished any evidence which could be used to apportion responsibility. But it has underscored the fact that pedestrian-cyclist accidents are far more common occurrences than previously thought and that government and public health officials need to pay more attention to this phenomenon.

Would be an interesting exercise if cyclist pedestrian interactions were obliged to be reported and recorded by the Gardai as they are at present with motorised vehicles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Chinasea wrote: »
    WTF are cars parking for in cycle lanes ? most of these are just downright ignorant.

Just cause it might not be illegal (and I doubt that) fecken cars should not be parking in the few cycle lanes that we have.

In this particular instance, any motorist (car, van, truck etc.) who is caught parking in a cycle lane should face a fine of €100 with an increment for each subsequent offense. I also see this happening frequently and find it absolutely deplorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

A jay walker stepped out into the middle of the road from behind a stationery High backed SUV into the path of a friends motor bike. He clipped the mirror, did a pirouette and got 37K compo. The motor bike had to be sold as the insurance was off the scale the next year. Watch out for Mr Magoo in D4. Padestrian Jay walker should have got FA and prosecuted. Not a chance he was rewarded for his stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

Good. Last week, I was crossing the road when the green man came on. Luckily, I jumped back in the nick of time! I almost got knocked by a cyclist, who was going full speed, despite lights on his lane being red! And the scary thing was, they didn't even see what they had done! I was shaking afterwards!

I've seen them violate rules constantly but that was heartstopping!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Spook_ie wrote: »
    http://www.streetsblog.org/2011/09/19/study-1000-peds-injured-annually-by-cyclists-statewide-number-is-dropping/

Would be an interesting exercise if cyclist pedestrian interactions were obliged to be reported and recorded by the Gardai as they are at present with motorised vehicles.

LOL your really struggling for stats when you have to some of the densely populated cities/state in the US to get enough numbers.

New York State Population of 19m+
    3rd most populous, and the 7th most densely populated of the 50 United States....New York City, with a population of over 8.1 million, is the most populous city in the United States.

CatEyed92 wrote: »
    Good. Last week, I was crossing the road when the green man came on. ...

Perhaps you phrased this wrong, but you're meant to wait for the green man before you cross?

Theres a lot of cyclists red light breakers, stand at any light and the majority do it. No argument from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

cyclists :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

BostonB wrote: »
    Perhaps you phrased this wrong, but you're meant to wait for the green man before you cross?

Yeah, sorry about that.

Yes, he was on, timer had 10 seconds left too out of the usual 20.

cyclists :rolleyes:

Some people have to learn the hard way. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

hopefully we will see less mamil's on the road because of this

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Arktura

im glad of this, i mainly cycle through the city simply because its the fastest and generally the most enjoyable way to get around. i get really annoyed at other cyclists breaking red lights, cycling the wrong way, i especially cant stand people on footpaths. i really do hope the gardai do clamp down on this behaviour.
    i do hope that they clamp down on jay walkers also, i was waiting on o connell street today and i actually lost count of the number of people just walking out in front of busses, cars, cyclists expecting them to slow down because they decided that they should just stroll across the street. mothers doing this with kids in prams baffles me.
    a bit of driver education could go a long way also, i think im a much better driver since iv started cycling around dublin, more observant at least.
    i see way too many drivers pulling across cyclists to go up a street (i got knocked down recently this way, the driver said she didnt see me.), talking on their phones, applying make up, reading (WTF?!), parking in cycling lanes, pulling into cycling lanes when trying to exit a junction making the cyclist move out to avoid the car.
    I will say that i find think the attitude towards cyclists overall is improving from all road users. Bus drivers seem to be the best overall, i find that a lot of car drivers are much more aware of cyclists but there is still room for improvement. i think the jay walking thing is a major issue though, that and cyclists jumping lights when its simply a stupid and dangerous thing to do. you'll only injure yourself and affect/injure someone else.

sorry for the length but here are some facts and figures for everyone to make what they want to make out of them

-Cars involved in 70% of cyclist accidents
    -Almost 70 per cent off all cycle collisions involved cars.
    -Left-turning vehicles were involved the majority of fatalities,
    -The most common collision involved right-turning cars. These accounted for just fewer than 20 per cent of incidents.
    -The next most common type is classified as “side swipes”, accounting for 15 per cent of collisions. These occur where a vehicle overtaking a cyclist or changing lanes hits the bicycle.
    -Door opening accidents accounted for about 14 per cent of incidents
    -Left-turning vehicles hitting cyclists accounted for just over 12 per cent.
    -Crashes where the fault is more likely to be attributable to the cyclist accounted for a much smaller proportion of incidents. In just over 4 per cent a cyclist hit a pedestrian, while in fewer than 3 per cent of collisions a cyclist turned right into on-coming traffic.
    -The more serious a crash, the more likely it was to involve a vehicle turning left, according to the report.

Top four types of cycle accidents:
    -Drivers turning right in front of an oncoming bicycle.
    -Drivers hitting a bicycle when overtaking or changing lanes.
    -Car doors being opened in front of cyclists.
    -Drivers hitting cyclists when turning left.

*Source: http://www.traceysolicitors.ie/blog/cyclists-in-dublin-facts-figures-on-accidents/

Regards,

Arktura

hopefully we will see less mamil's on the road because of this

whats a mamil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

whats a mamil?

Middle Aged Men In Lycra :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭bedirect

I cycle, but I do not agree with the people that cycle of footpaths, up the wrong way on one way streets etc. The police will need a power of arrest if they are to deal with these people as most of them will give a false name & they will never be traced

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I don't understand why a cyclist should have to compete for road room with the likes of lorries and other large vehicles. Buses are lethal, overtaking bikes just to pull in right afterwards is pure dangerous. I have no problem cycling on the road when there's a cycle lane but when there is none a cyclist should be premitted to cycle on the footpath with due care to pedestrians.

I don't understand why a cyclist should have to compete for road room with the likes of lorries and other large vehicles.

they don't have to compete, they have equal status on all but motorways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

CatEyed92 wrote: »
    Good. Last week, I was crossing the road when the green man came on. Luckily, I jumped back in the nick of time! I almost got knocked by a cyclist, who was going full speed, despite lights on his lane being red! And the scary thing was, they didn't even see what they had done! I was shaking afterwards!

Last week, I was cycling down the road when the green light came on. Luckily, I stopped in the nick of time! I almost hit a pedestrian, who was walking blindly onto the road, despite the red man! And the scary thing was, they didn't even see what they had done! I was shaking afterwards!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I don't understand why a cyclist should have to compete for road room with the likes of lorries and other large vehicles. Buses are lethal, overtaking bikes just to pull in right afterwards is pure dangerous. I have no problem cycling on the road when there's a cycle lane but when there is none a cyclist should be premitted to cycle on the footpath with due care to pedestrians.

If anybody does not want to use the road where there is no cycle lane, they have a number of options, including:

1) Dismounting and walking along the footpath

2) Use a different route

3) Forget cycling and just walk / drive / get the bus etc

4) Campaign for more and better cycle lanes but in the meanwhile choice options 1, 2, or 3 as above.

There is zero need to allow at least adult cyclists to use the footpaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

BostonB wrote: »
    LOL your really struggling for stats when you have to some of the densely populated cities/state in the US to get enough numbers.

New York State Population of 19m+

Yeah, which is why I said that perhaps it's time that accidents involving cyclists were treated the same way as accidents involving motor vehicles, if there is an injury then the Gardai are required to be informed and the accident logged....

You have a problem with that?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A cyclist is a second class road user. Motorists are third class. If all else is equal you have right of way over them.

If you are in front they are only allowed to overtake if it's safe to do so.

"Riding the high side" is a term referring to the practice of keeping well out from the kerb so you have manoeuvring room if another road user does something stupid.

The worst thing you can do is try to cycle defensively at the edge of the kerb in places where you thing it would be unsafe for you to be overtaken as this will encourage overtaking and give you no room to avoid anything.

When the road widens or there is a hard shoulder you move in to let people pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Here in Brisbane it's legal to cycle on the footpath. Oddly enough everyone seems to get on just fine. I'm usually bemused when people give out stink about cyclists on the footpath, sure it's not allowed but everytime I've ever encountered it it's neither endangered or inconvenienced me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Two questions for you: What's the speed limit on that road? Are your brakes as effective and as safe as a cars'?

60 KPH and yes, I have hydrolic disc brakes on my bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

the notion that I should be using the cycle lane on the foot path from Finglas down to the Tolka valley is insane, I'm doing 50->60KPH on that stretch and the cycle lane has a bus stop in it, there is no way I'm going to obey the current law that I should use the available cycle lane where it endangers myself or others.
    Two questions for you: What's the speed limit on that road? Are your brakes as effective and as safe as a cars'?
    60 KPH and yes, I have hydrolic disc brakes on my bike.

While I'm quite glad that you are staying out of the cycle lane (named a cycle land, not a racing lane) where you're a danger to both yourself and others - yes, bus passengers are also allowed alight in safety; we are all sharing the road space - and I'm glad you have effective brakes, the problem is that these brakes will not allow you to stop in a safe or stable a manner as a car's.

I had to make an emergency stop early on Sunday morning, doing 50kph in the car. While I remained in my seat as I was belted in, everything on the passenger seat fell into the footwell. I didn't fly over the steering wheel, and I didn't fall over, as the car has a stable four-wheel base. Are your brakes equally safe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

If you lose control of a bike you will only hurt yourself, it's a different story in a car. Adults should be able to take responsibility for their own safety as long as the safety of others is not threatened.

Two questions for you: What's the speed limit on that road?
    what has that got to do with anything? Speed limits do not apply to bicycles
    Are your brakes as effective and as safe as a cars'?
    far more effective in general, no abs though so you'll just lock up.

If you lose control of a bike you will only hurt yourself, it's a different story in a car.

well, that's not really true is it? easy to hit a ped or another cyclist or cause a bus to suddenly brake and cause passengers to fall etc etc etc...

• Site Banned Posts: 13 rdsatapa

The “casualty reduction” plan, launched yesterday, will see “the full rigours of the law” applied to cyclists who go through red lights, cycle on footpaths or travel the wrong way on a one-way street facing increased levels of Garda enforcement.

¿ So how many "casualties" are actually being caused by cyclists going through red lights or travelling the wrong way on one-way-streets ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

How is that a source for stating this?
    Thought you were looking for the source on the 100€ fine.my bad.

far more effective in general, no abs though so you'll just lock up.
    unfortunately not, afaik. in emergency braking, a car can hit 1G of deceleration. a bike can't match that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

lycra lout on his super light Reynolds 531 steel framed fixie VS a Garda on his ton weight full laden mountain bike in hot pursuit bumping on and off curbs and breaking traffic lights :)

Gardai will have to upgrade to something sportier. : )
    There's a rumour going around that one of the cycle Gardai is a national TT champion. MTB or not, you'd want to get him on a really bad day to get away from him...

I also suspect most of the people who would try to run are the high-vis flappers cycling along with their knees at their ears, or schoolkids on their fixies, who really wouldn't have a hope. Fixies are good for riding in a straight line, not so much for the ducking in and out of roads at speed.
    Yeah, which is why I said that perhaps it's time that accidents involving cyclists were treated the same way as accidents involving motor vehicles, if there is an injury then the Gardai are required to be informed and the accident logged....
    That is actually the law at the moment. If an incident involves any injury, the Gardai must be notified of the incident.
    In most cases where there's some form of collision or incident with a bicycle, there'll probably be an "injury", be it a pedal to the shin or stem to the balls, but you'll find that in most cases the cyclist doesn't bother reporting it to the Gardai unless they end up in hospital. Combination of "Ah shure I'm grand, I can walk" and embarrassment means they usually just want to get up and move on as soon as they can.
    A terrifyingly high number of motorists are also willing to just drive off without stopping, either through ignorance or badness.

Edit: Sorry, I see now you're referring to cyclist/pedestrian incidents. Afaik, they are legally required to be reported as the bicycle is a vehicle involved in a collision. But like I say above, in most cases people just want to get up and move on, not stand around waiting for a Garda to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

I see the same stupid b*tch on her bike every morning when I'm at the bus stop....she comes along all "DING DING DING OUTTA MY WAY! I'M A CYCLIST!!!" whilst cycling in the cycle lane.

Then when I'm on the bus, it has to drive behind her as she's cycling in the middle of the bus lane, despite there being a cycle lane on the pathway.

Indicative of most of cyclists out there.

I see the same stupid b*tch on her bike every morning when I'm at the bus stop....she comes along all "DING DING DING OUTTA MY WAY! I'M A CYCLIST!!!" whilst cycling in the cycle lane.

Then when I'm on the bus, it has to drive behind her as she's cycling in the middle of the bus lane, despite there being a cycle lane on the pathway.

Indicative of most of cyclists out there.

whereabouts is the cycle lane? There's a few on path cycle lanes I won't use because they're dangerous or useless etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Does all cyclist do the same at your bus stop? Or just her?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

whereabouts is the cycle lane? There's a few on path cycle lanes I won't use because they're dangerous or useless etc.

It's on the N11 and there's a clear cycle lane on the pathway....despite this the stupid cnut decides to cycle in the middle of the buslane whilst the bus drives at a nice speed of about 6mph.

The cycle lane goes onto the road for about 10metres after the bus stop but most cyclists dont follow it back on to the pathway....

• Advertisement
Advertisement