Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewing - Machine & Material?

Options
  • 02-10-2012 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

The OH has taken up dress making and is looking to pick up a good sewing machine. She was told not to get the Ikea one for some reason, and to stay away from one or two other makes - cant remember.

Anyway, does anyone know of somewhere that provides good value on sewing machines? Also, any tips on where to buy patterns and / or materials at reasonable prices?

Regards,

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Gormal

Search in the Arts & Crafts section for info on material there are a couple of threads like This one or this one.

You might have more luck in that section for advice

Most people will recommend Brother or Singer machines, Mines a Toyota and has not let me down yet :p

Can't help you with the patterns, but she will find some free ones online...... yes I know..... you print them off and tape them together was a bit weird the first time I did it too. Better to buy a few so you know how things go together first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Gormal wrote: »
    Search in the Arts & Crafts section for info on material there are a couple of threads like This one or this one.

You might have more luck in that section for advice

Most people will recommend Brother or Singer machines, Mines a Toyota and has not let me down yet :p

Can't help you with the patterns, but if she will find some free ones online...... yes I know..... you print them off and tape them together was a bit weird the first time I did it too. Better to buy a few so you know how things go together first.

Cheers for that, some great information.

Any idea of good places to go to buy the machines?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Gormal

See this thread for starters, you should post in the Arts & crafts, they're a helpful bunch.

Stay away from Lidl/Aldi own brands theres been a lot of hassle with them, well the aldi lot at least.

Advertisement