Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it illegal to stand on a 49 seater bus

Options
  • 02-10-2012 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hi all is it illegal to be allowed to stand on a bus that only had 49 seats? every monday from nass to carlow i.t there are at least 10-15 students standing on jj kavanghs bus as there is no seats left. i rang their office and they said they can carry 8 standing is this true? i feel this is simply dangerous and in this day and age it shouldnt be allowed.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Try the commuting and transport forum instead:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=246

• Registered Users Posts: 16 BALLHOPPER

:) Hi Glenryan,
    As a retired Bus driver i am familiar with the law on this matter, it is illegal to carry more passengers on a Bus than there is seats available for in other words if you are travelling on a bus that has forty nine seats then that bus is only allowed to carry forty nine passengers,check inside the door of the bus and it should be displayed how many passengers the bus can carry and if it is allowed to carry any standing passengers,to the best of my knowledge and experience it is illegal to carry standing passengers on normal coaches and all school buses have now to be fitted with seat belts.The only exception is on suburban buses where the buses are equipped with holding bars and have a speed restriction of sixty kilometers per hour.Iam surprised that any professional bus driver would allow people to stand, as if there is an accident and someone gets hurt it would be the driver that would have to explain the reason why passengers were standing.Hope this answers your query

Advertisement