Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new house old alarm

Options
  • 02-10-2012 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

hi folks - I'm hoping someone on here could point me in teh right direction. We've just bought a new place and the alarm system (aritech) was never used by the previous owners, when we try to set the alarm nothing happens and the message zone 6 alert and low battery keep flashing up.

We're trying to decided between overhauling the system or depending on the cost upgrading it or even replacing it. I'd love to get any feedback from the hive mind about which way would be best to go.
    Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

hi folks - I'm hoping someone on here could point me in teh right direction. We've just bought a new place and the alarm system (aritech) was never used by the previous owners, when we try to set the alarm nothing happens and the message zone 6 alert and low battery keep flashing up.

We're trying to decided between overhauling the system or depending on the cost upgrading it or even replacing it. I'd love to get any feedback from the hive mind about which way would be best to go.
    Cheers in advance!

You should have a look at the panic buttons. Maybe one of them is pressed and is causing the zone to be open when you try set the alarm.

If considering an up grade, any of these panels would be a good alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭tooth*grinder

Cheers Altor - she who must be obeyed wants to get Eircom to put in their phone watch system, they seem to be an OK service, but as I literately have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to these things (I've always been more of a shotgun and canned beans kind of home security type) so I've no idea if we're better off steering clear...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Cheers Altor - she who must be obeyed wants to get Eircom to put in their phone watch system, they seem to be an OK service, but as I literately have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to these things (I've always been more of a shotgun and canned beans kind of home security type) so I've no idea if we're better off steering clear...

There are plenty of good deals to be had out there. P.W Will just stick in a wire free system when all you may require is an upgrade using the cables available. Thats the route I would be looking into.
    Also make sure you ask for a live external bell if you go the P.W route. If you finish the monitoring then no one knows if your alarm has activated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,602 ✭✭✭Tow

we're better off steering clear...
    You have answered your self there. You potentially have a good wired system which just needs a service, or at most a more modern panel.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

If you plan on upgrading I'd recommend HKC :-)
    Make sure all the zones are closed
    Zone 6 usually refers to panic buttons that are usually found upstairs .. Open them up and push the button up or tighten the cover as it may have gotten a bang .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The wiring is probably fine & all you need is it checked out to be sure.
    PW wont do this for you either. They will quote over the phone or just send you out a rep who won't have any idea of the wiring thats in place.
    As Altor said take a look at the panel comparisons between Siemens & HKC . Either of those would suit your needs & both have wireless available should you run into problems with an cables.
    If you are looking at Eircom here are the questions you need to ask:
    Does you system include a working external bell? If not how much extra is that.
    Can you system be monitored by other service providers like UPC etc ?
    If not why not ? UPC lines can, & are , used to monitor alarms. Answering no here is a blatant lie.
    As GSM is not a reliable form of monitoring , whats my alternative if I have no phone line & Eircom won't use UPC etc?
    Does Eircom provide a secure radio option for monitoring?
    Will all my windows be covered with Sensors & Contacts.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement