Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manic Street Preachers

Options
  • 02-10-2012 10:04am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭

Not seen a thread on them here so thought I would add one.

They're an institution at this stage, 25 years and counting, a new album expected next year (their 11th studio album).

The Holy Bible still ranks as my favourite album ever, and in Richey Edwards and James Dean Bradfield they had/have one of the greatest lyricists/most under-rated guitarists.

Discuss :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

The question is, do they belong in this forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Joe_Dull wrote: »

It's the rock and metal forum, they're a rock band, yes they belong here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭Decade of Decadence

Well considering there's already threads on Muse, The Doors, Queen and Nirvana :)

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

lord lucan wrote: »
    It's the rock and metal forum, they're a rock band, yes they belong here.

I would've always pegged them as indie or alternative, but clearly I'm in the minority here! Carry on :pac:

Quite like this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

I was just thinking the same thing

• Advertisement

Early stuff like their 'Generation Terrorists' debut gives knowing glances to Guns N Roses and Hanoi Rocks, while 'The Holy Bible' has elements of metal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Good band with solid politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

My favourite band of all time, it must be said! The Holy Bible is nothing short of a work of art. I remember the first time i heard it, it was unlike anything i had heard before and still stands well apart from anything else i've heard.

I think the best place i saw them was in The Astoria in 2008, not long before it was torn down, that was an amazing gig... They did 3 gigs that weekend on consecutive nights in different venues around London, if i remember correctly. I missed Hammersmith but got to the other one (Bull & Gate in Kentish Town if i remember rightly) and got really excited when they went into Condemned To Rock n Roll, only for it to just be a Motown Junk intro. Only time i was ever disappointed to hear Motown Junk...

My favourite band of all time, it must be said! The Holy Bible is nothing short of a work of art. I remember the first time i heard it, it was unlike anything i had heard before and still stands well apart from anything else i've heard.

I think the best place i saw them was in The Astoria in 2008, not long before it was torn down, that was an amazing gig... They did 3 gigs that weekend on consecutive nights in different venues around London, if i remember correctly. I missed Hammersmith but got to the other one (Bull & Gate in Kentish Town if i remember rightly) and got really excited when they went into Condemned To Rock n Roll, only for it to just be a Motown Junk intro. Only time i was ever disappointed to hear Motown Junk...

Seen them about 10 times at this stage, favourite would be a tossup between The Ambassador 'Send Away The Tigers' tour and the Smithfield 'Know Your Enemy' gig.

Totally agree with your comments on THB, I just wish more people were aware of its and Richey's genius.

Loved the Olympia gig last May, opening with Stay Beautiful and playing the likes of Life Becoming A Landslide and Archives of Pain.

One of my lifetime ambitions is to hear them play PCP live though!

Seen them about 10 times at this stage, favourite would be a tossup between The Ambassador 'Send Away The Tigers' tour and the Smithfield 'Know Your Enemy' gig.

Totally agree with your comments on THB, I just wish more people were aware of its and Richey's genius.

Loved the Olympia gig last May, opening with Stay Beautiful and playing the likes of Life Becoming A Landslide and Archives of Pain.

One of my lifetime ambitions is to hear them play PCP live though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Seen them probably a dozen times - mostly just because they're always playing festivals - and each time they've been brilliant.

Still think Faster is the best thing they've ever done.

I remember in Leaving Cert English class we were given an assignment to pick any song we want and analyse it like a poem. I didn't even need to think about it, I did mine on Faster! I think i came up with some interesting theories and got a really good B as opposed to my standard C- territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

The Holy Bible is a great album. Bleak as f*ck but also strangely uplifting.

JDB does a solo acoustic version of This is Yesterday which is great. Loved Terrorists and Everything must Go, wasnt too keen on Gold against the Soul apart from one or two songs.

Havent heard their recent albums i.e. post Know Your Enemy, are they worth a listen?

MetalDog wrote: »
    The Holy Bible is a great album. Bleak as f*ck but also strangely uplifting.

JDB does a solo acoustic version of This is Yesterday which is great. Loved Terrorists and Everything must Go, wasnt too keen on Gold against the Soul apart from one or two songs.

Havent heard their recent albums i.e. post Know Your Enemy, are they worth a listen?

That's a no brainer mate.

'Journal for Plague Lovers', which was released in 2009, is comprised entirely from lyrics Richey left in a shoebox for the band before his disappearance.

Written around the same time as The Holy Bible, they're just as bleak, and musically, it could be considered slightly darker than 'The Bible'.

Many consider it Part 2, and the horrifying artwork is by the same artist who's work graced the cover of THB.

Probably my second favourite album of theirs, and I can't recommend it highly enough

I thought Postcards From A Young Man was their worst album, to this day not a single song off it has grown on me.

Bizzarely, though, their version of Rihanna's Umbrella did grow on me, though that's more to do with the guitar riff, which is distictly Manicsy.

Looking back, one song that often gets overlooked, since it wasn't on any albums, was The Masses Against The Classes. Great song, and the first Manics release I was a fan for. I remember it was like christmas morning the first time i heard it...

I thought Postcards From A Young Man was their worst album, to this day not a single song off it has grown on me.

Bizzarely, though, their version of Rihanna's Umbrella did grow on me, though that's more to do with the guitar riff, which is distictly Manicsy.

Looking back, one song that often gets overlooked, since it wasn't on any albums, was The Masses Against The Classes. Great song, and the first Manics release I was a fan for. I remember it was like christmas morning the first time i heard it...

Bizarrely enough, The Masses Against The Class hit the top of the charts, definitely one of the more unusual No. 1's in recent times.

As for 'Postcards......', I consider it a solid 7/10 album, in particular highlights for me include Don't Be Evil, Auto-Intoxication and the gorgeous Motorcycle Emptiness guitar hook on Hazelton Avenue

the gorgeous Motorcycle Emptiness guitar hook on Hazelton Avenue

This is exactly why i didn't like that album. Every song on it seemed to be trying to be a different song from Manics legend, and the strings overkill just sealed the deal for me. I really enjoyed Journal For Plague Lovers (thought criticism of Nicky's vocals in William's Last Words was very unfair) and before that Send Away The Tigers was a solid album. The elephant in the room, though, is Lifeblood! For a while they wouldn't play any songs off it, but i never thought it was a bad album, probably a 6/10 and it loses a mark just because in the run up to it's release Nicky gave an interview where he described it as "The Holy Bible all grown up"...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I'm probably going to be in the minority but The Holy Bible does not feature in my top two Manic albums.

Everything Must Go takes top spot for me, with Generation Terrorists coming in second.

Kess73 wrote: »
    I'm probably going to be in the minority but The Holy Bible does not feature in my top two Manic albums.

Everything Must Go takes top spot for me, with Generation Terrorists coming in second.

Always thought GT was at least 6 tracks too long ( there's ALOT of filler like Damn Dog, the two Repeats, Tennessee etc)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Seen them probably a dozen times - mostly just because they're always playing festivals - and each time they've been brilliant.

Still think Faster is the best thing they've ever done.

Never really listened to these guys before but that song is class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

One of my favourite bands but I've yet to see them play live. Hopefully, I'll get the chance to see them some day. Anyway, The Holy Bible is one of my favourite albums of all time and I think that Richey Edwards must be the most underrated lyricist there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Only have Postcards From a Young Man, haven't listened to it enough but Its not war is a great song. Really wanna get into more of their stuff. Hearing that there is better albums makes it exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Mushy wrote: »
    Only have Postcards From a Young Man, haven't listened to it enough but Its not war is a great song. Really wanna get into more of their stuff. Hearing that there is better albums makes it exciting.

I'd recommend Everything Must Go. Even though I prefer The Holy Bible, I think that EMG would probably be the best one to listen to next.

That or "This Is My Truth, Tell Me Yours" or "Send Away The Tigers". Postcards is fairly far removed from the first 3 albums so i'd work towards them rather than diving right in.

If recommend Gold Against the Soul purely for the four singles.

Only the Manics could release an album that was almost universally derived at the time and still contain FOUR classic singles

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

'Journal for Plague Lovers', which was released in 2009, is comprised entirely from lyrics Richey left in a shoebox for the band before his disappearance.

Written around the same time as The Holy Bible, they're just as bleak, and musically, it could be considered slightly darker than 'The Bible'.

Many consider it Part 2, and the horrifying artwork is by the same artist who's work graced the cover of THB.

Probably my second favourite album of theirs, and I can't recommend it highly enough

I had no idea Richey's material was involved, must check it out so. Cheers.

MetalDog wrote: »

I had no idea Richey's material was involved, must check it out so. Cheers.

You won't be disappointed

'All Is Vanity' is a particular highlight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Was a huge fan back in the day. THB is still probably my favourite album of all time. Not a single bad song on it imo. Of all the bands I listen to, the only other album I can think of that didn't have a song I disliked was Slayers Reign in Blood.

Saw them in the Point in 99. They were f**king electric that night. That was the first time I heard Prolgue to History. Epic song and a tragedy it never made the album TIMTTMY.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 johnadom

Always good live and for me that's what counts!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭Clemenza

Manic Street Preachers announce new album, single and UK tour

The band will release their 11th studio album, 'Rewind The Film' on September 16. Recorded in the band's own studio in Cardiff, Rockfield in Monmouthshire and Hansa in Berlin, it features guest appearances from Lucy Rose (on 'This Sullen Welsh Heart') Cate Le Bon (on '4 Lonely Roads') and Richard Hawley on the title track. "[If] this record has a relation in the Manics back catalogue, it’s probably the sedate coming of age that was 'This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours'," the band say in a statement.

The album, which is the follow-up to 2010's 'Postcards From A Young Man' will be preceded by the single 'Show Me The Wonder' on September 9. Shortly after the album's release, the band will tour the UK and Ireland – playing Newport, Dublin, Bristol, London, Manchester and Glasgow.

The tracklisting for 'Rewind The Film' is as follows:

'This Sullen Welsh Heart'
    'Show Me The Wonder'
    'Rewind The Film'
    'Builder Of Routines'
    '4 Lonely Roads'
    '(I Miss The) Tokyo Skyline'
    'Anthem For A Lost Cause'
    'As Holy As The Soil (That Buries Your Skin)'
    '3 Ways To See Despair'
    'Running Out Of Fantasy'
    'Manorbier'
    '30 Year War'

Manic Street Preachers will play:

Newport Centre (September 13)
    Dublin Olympia (20)
    Bristol Colston Hall (22)
    London Shepherds Bush Empire (24)
    Manchester Ritz (27)
    Glasgow Barrowland (29)

Tickets go on sale on Friday (July 12) at 9.30pm. To check the availability of Manic Street Preachers tickets and get all the latest listings, go to NME.COM/TICKETS now, or call 0844 858 6765

Taster of new album

Advertisement