Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manic Street Preachers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

It's different from them, but everyone seems to be doing acoustics these days

Been listening to the new singles and really loving them. It's quite a departure sound wise for them but it really works and it seems that the upcoming album will be a celebration of the Britain of old. The videos play like products of the 70s and there's a charm and warmth to them that's infectious. Really looking forward to the album and hopefully I'll get to see them live, been a decade or so since I last went to see them and that gig remains a highlight for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

MetalDog wrote: »
    The Holy Bible is a great album. Bleak as f*ck but also strangely uplifting.

JDB does a solo acoustic version of This is Yesterday which is great. Loved Terrorists and Everything must Go, wasnt too keen on Gold against the Soul apart from one or two songs.

Havent heard their recent albums i.e. post Know Your Enemy, are they worth a listen?

The 'Holy Bible' is a class album, and 'Generation Terrorists' is an outstanding album too. 'Gold against the Soul' is alright with a couple of incredible songs. I didn't think much of the newer stuff was all that great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Last album was a bit of a departure but excellent nonetheless :)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Stretchryan

Going to see them in a few months in Luxembourg - first time seen them was back in Feile days in Thurles with Richey and his guitar not plugged in. Amazing live band still to this day. Holy Bible easily my fav album of theirs and only one played more in my gaff would be Angel Dust by Faith No More

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Going to see them in a few months in Luxembourg - first time seen them was back in Feile days in Thurles with Richey and his guitar not plugged in.

You might have that backwards....unless they played there twice.

There is a famous vid of that show and James guitar was turned way down so all you could hear is Richies in La Tristessa. Its a train wreck! :p

Taster of new album - personally think its great!

http://youtu.be/nusymqINrSc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

They keep coming up with the goods.

Temaz wrote: »
    They keep coming up with the goods.

That chorus is HUGE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

New album 'Resistance is Futile' is the dogs bollocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvLbsJi1n58

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

The Manics are old hat now. Generation Terrorists was their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭finhex

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Oh, they were old farts already then. New Art Riot is the one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

They were probably at their peak in the eighties.

Seriously though, I don't really like the new album. The first four albums were great and it's been going downhill since then.

I'm selling my Manics cds for cheap if anyone's interested, pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

EMG and TIMTTMY are my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Can't get into the new album at all. Too poppy for my liking. The Holy Bible is probably my favourite album of all time. Really enjoyed Futurology a few years back, terrific stuff on that album. Journal For Plague Lovers was an unexpected treat too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Holy Bible will always be their masterpiece. EMG not far behind.

Anyone who claims they did nothing after that probably last listened to them with know your Enemy which nearly had an album worth of good stuff (it you include masses against the classes) with some god awful tunes thrown in too to make it over listed and turned people off.

Honestly think there stuff since send away the Tigers has been good at the very least. The bad songs stink, but the good stuff is better than the bad stuff to make up for it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Weepsie wrote: »
    Holy Bible will always be their masterpiece. EMG not far behind.

Anyone who claims they did nothing after that probably last listened to them with know your Enemy which nearly had an album worth of good stuff (it you include masses against the classes) with some god awful tunes thrown in too to make it over listed and turned people off.

Honestly think there stuff since send away the Tigers has been good at the very least. The bad songs stink, but the good stuff is better than the bad stuff to make up for it

Agree about the Holy Bible. Depending on my mood I'd put EMG up there with it. A couple of good songs on TIMTTMY and KYE but I haven't been able to get into anything since. Live, like a lot of bands as they age, they've gone so soft. Last saw them in Smithfield for the KYE album and they were terrible. A stark difference to the energy they still had in 1999 never mind the years previous.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Saw them live on The Holy Bible anniversary tour. Fantastic show. Hearing that album live made me love it even more. EMG has some crackers on it. Would love to hear the whole album live. I liked Know Your Enemy. Some good, angry , aggresive songs on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Agree about the Holy Bible. Depending on my mood I'd put EMG up there with it. A couple of good songs on TIMTTMY and KYE but I haven't been able to get into anything since. Live, like a lot of bands as they age, they've gone so soft. Last saw them in Smithfield for the KYE album and they were terrible. A stark difference to the energy they still had in 1999 never mind the years previous.

I was at that Smithfield gig. First and last one there as the residents complained about noise I believe ( fair enough).

They've since added a second guitarist (an Irish guy too I believe) who really improved them live. Think he came on board around Lifeblood or Send away the Tigers tour.

They've mellowed out for sure, but not always a bad thing.

Bradfield's solo album was pretty good too. Wire's might have been if could he sing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Weepsie wrote: »

They've since added a second guitarist (an Irish guy too I believe) who really improved them live.

Have to 100% disagree with this. His presence has lessened the bands live sound hugely. Their best gigs since 98 have all been 3 piece sets. Journal for Plague Lovers tour, Holy Bible Tour and various sets as a 3 piece (King Tuts etc.).

3 piece (and even with keyboard) = Energy
    Extra guitarist(s)* = Lethargy

I love 'em but their live output is woeful with the extra guitarists. Not to mention their overreliance on strings, samples and my god, the extra guitarist (Wayne Murray) is far far far to loud in the mix with backing vocals.

* They actually have 2 extra guitarists now and James barely plays guitar live now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 pardonme

Sign seen in Newton Abbot library at the Passmore Edward Centre

74afcc918c3f8ec52533e1f74b218f01fcc4e6e4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Favourite teeshirt I own

ZR5cl62.jpg

Advertisement