Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman World Championship 13/10/12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Izoard wrote: »

Macca 8/1
    Kienle 9/1
    Raelart 9/2
    Will the 3 above have enough of a gap coming off the bike to Crowie?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Macca's interview was decent. He talked about how the tables may have turned slightly between him and Crowie, as in he has lost bike strength but his running is better than ever so its him that'll be hoping to be within touching distance coming off the bike and its Crowie revving up the other guys to break Macca and build a lead on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Bambaata wrote: »
    Macca's interview was decent. He talked about how the tables may have turned slightly between him and Crowie, as in he has lost bike strength but his running is better than ever so its him that'll be hoping to be within touching distance coming off the bike and its Crowie revving up the other guys to break Macca and build a lead on the bike.

I suspect more mind games from Macca, so that Crowie will push harder on the bike and will leave him with less in the legs for the run,
    Maybe not but Macca likes playing mind games

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

BennyMul wrote: »
    regardless of external factors not giving us the time to train to qualify, how much of it is down to physical ability, or do we assume that anyone who trains correctly and give it their all will qualify (providing things go right on the day)?
    My impression is that the main limiting physical factor is your ability to recover, and as part of that, not be prone to injury. That is what I feel some people have intrinsically as an advantage over others. I still think with agers, its a hard thing to guage, because so many other factors are in play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Oryx wrote: »
    My impression is that the main limiting physical factor is your ability to recover, and as part of that, not be prone to injury. That is what I feel some people have intrinsically as an advantage over others. I still think with agers, its a hard thing to guage, because so many other factors are in play.

Previous sports history has a big part to play as well i think. If you have always been a couch potato and done no sports b4 taking up triathlon then getting from A to B is going to take a lot longer than a person who is already at B or C when taking up the sport. For example BMC was a professional footballer for Leeds and comes in much higher up the scale than most.
    Regarding Bmuls original question how much is down to actual talent...i believe i read somewhere before that in triathlon only 2% or 3% of agers are actually talented....the rest get to the top through hard work and sacrifice. Dont ask me where i read it but i remembering thinking at the time wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PGF

Ceepo wrote: »
    I suspect more mind games from Macca, so that Crowie will push harder on the bike and will leave him with less in the legs for the run,

Surely Crowie doesn't GAF about Macca's mind games? Is he that fragile that Macca has an affect on him? Personally I think Macca is full of it (but obviously bloody good at racing).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Ceepo

PGF wrote: »
    Ceepo wrote: »

Surely Crowie doesn't GAF about Macca's mind games? Is he that fragile that Macca has an affect on him? Personally I think Macca is full of it (but obviously bloody good at racing).

Don't think that he would GAF, or is fragile and is typical Macca pre race talk, but as he says himself, "I just plant a seed"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I think it worked on Crowie. Look at the last time MAcca won, all year he reminded people that Crowie would run people down and thus the bike was where the damage needed to be done. Then Crowie came back and beefed up his bike work and we all know what happened then! Crowie's a machine now but how is age effecting him!? It'll be an interesting one. Kienle should be more like 20/1. A non wetsuit swim will hamper his chances but it will be interesting to see his bike time!

I cant wait anyway! I'm down in my folks place for it so if their internet starts acting the maggot ill go mad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

BennyMul wrote: »
    regardless of external factors not giving us the time to train to qualify, how much of it is down to physical ability, or do we assume that anyone who trains correctly and give it their all will qualify (providing things go right on the day)?

You might be interested in Martin Muldoons post on his week pre christmas last year training with some of the Irish elites. 40 hours across 10 days and he closes off by saying "After the 10 days I felt great, a bit tired but not overly so..."

http://martin-muldoon.blogspot.ie/

There's at least 4 Irish lads heading out there who's race plan includes beating Martin!

• Advertisement

Bored in work so here you go...

1198 Rob Cummins M40-44
    1662 Liam Dolan M30-34
    1385 Neil Feerick M35-39
    1991 Kate Lahart F25-29
    1308 Owen Martin M35-39
    995 James Mc Laughlin M40-44
    1034 Matt Molloy M40-44
    1371 Martin Muldoon M35-39
    1715 Michael O'Brien M30-34
    2094 Sharon O'Hara F18-24
    814 Alan Ryan M45-49

So, what's the pecking order on race day? Some real quality in there.

What I know:
    Matt Molloy will lead the Irish out in the swim and is coached by Bill Black (still?) but he's on his 3rd IM this year. He hasn't raced great this year - by his standards, but was the best of the Irish last year with 9:13.
    Owen Martin is on his 3rd im this year, with IM Canada most recently. That's gotta take it's toll, but he outraced Muldoon last year finishing in 9:35 ish.
    Mike O'Brien Kona debut but survived the carnage in Austria with a quality performance but only got married last weekend.
    Martin Mudloon is doing his first IM this year, but had to come through some a fair bit of travelling and some tough HIMs to get here. He's coached by Alan Couzens at Endurance corner who has planned his season towards this. Was probably dissappointed with 9:38 last year.
    Alan Ryan has kept the head down since Regensburg but has put a couple of big years into getting back here with a stated aim of gaining a podium in his age group - no doubt like others. Last year that would have required sub 9:30 for Alan.
    LCDs swims have improved in a wetsuit, it's 12 months since his last IM and has been able to focus on this race since last September.He posted one of the fastest AG bike splits on his last visit in 2010, on a harder bike day than 2011 proved to be.
    Rob Cummins another debutante.

I think it will come down to Muldoon and LCD on the run. They're the freshest.

Best of luck to them all, i've huge admiration for them and the others in getting there. Really looking forward to tracking it tomorrow. I would like to see LCD do it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Notwitch wrote: »
    So, what's the pecking order on race day? Some real quality in there.

What I know:
    Matt Molloy will lead the Irish out in the swim and is coached by Bill Black (still?) but he's on his 3rd IM this year. He hasn't raced great this year - by his standards, but was the best of the Irish last year with 9:13.
    Owen Martin is on his 3rd im this year, with IM Canada most recently. That's gotta take it's toll, but he outraced Muldoon last year finishing in 9:35 ish.
    Mike O'Brien Kona debut but survived the carnage in Austria with a quality performance but only got married last weekend.
    Martin Mudloon is doing his first IM this year, but had to come through some a fair bit of travelling and some tough HIMs to get here. He's coached by Alan Couzens at Endurance corner who has planned his season towards this. Was probably dissappointed with 9:38 last year.
    Alan Ryan has kept the head down since Regensburg but has put a couple of big years into getting back here with a stated aim of gaining a podium in his age group - no doubt like others. Last year that would have required sub 9:30 for Alan.
    LCDs swims have improved in a wetsuit, it's 12 months since his last IM and has been able to focus on this race since last September.He posted one of the fastest AG bike splits on his last visit in 2010, on a harder bike day than 2011 proved to be.
    Rob Cummins another debutante.

I think it will come down to Muldoon and LCD on the run. They're the freshest.

Best of luck to them all, i've huge admiration for them and the others in getting there. Really looking forward to tracking it tomorrow. I would like to see LCD do it though.

LCD has done things differently on the bike and run this year. I've seen some of the numbers ANIMAL, fvcking ANIMAL.

tunney wrote: »
    LCD has done things differently on the bike and run this year. I've seen some of the numbers ANIMAL, fvcking ANIMAL.

Is he mainly self coached now - you in the Matt Steinmetz role!?

I see Mike O'Brien and MCOS share a coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I really cannot wait to see how this race unfolds, looking at the list it really hammers home how tough it is to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Macca 8/1
    Kienle 9/1
    Raelart 9/2
    Will the 3 above have enough of a gap coming off the bike to Crowie?

where did you get the odds?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Is he mainly self coached now - you in the Matt Steinmetz role!?

I see Mike O'Brien and MCOS share a coach.

Yes we do, or rather did. I've since left that. Trained with MOB for bike and swim over the last 2 months. He is only 2-3 mins off me on a 4k training OW swim. So, non wetsuit, I would expect 65-68 mins. Bike will be 5-5:15. Heat factor since he did 3:14 in Austria in mid 30s heat I'd imagine much the same so circa 9:30 - 9:40. Depends if Austria is still in the legs in the latter stages. Was at his wedding last week. He didn't touch a drop and was up early to drop a mate to the airport and get a proper breakie on while we made gluttons of ourselves at the buffet. He has remained focused and will put a cat among the pigeons if he has a good day

Of the Irish most of them will do 60-70 min swims, Molloy obviously excluded. O'Gorman and Dolan last 2 out of the water but will reel the rest in, Dolan being the uber bike more so. Dolan to catch and pass most of them on the run and slowly run Molloy down. With Martina and Muldoon already out on the run it could be very interesting from 7hrs onward...

As for the PROs.. Realart vs Crowie for me

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭centre back

does anyone know where to watch this tomorrow?? thanks

http://universalsports.com/triathlon/

Or

Ironman.com

Seems like they've updated the site

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i think this year could be the first time since stadler that a guy that wasnt in the lead bunch in the swim gets on the podium.
    you have kienle roling up the field and that can play well in the hands of schildknecht bracht and rapp to get in the mix and those guys are serious runers.
    iam suprised nobody talks about the guy that was third i melbourne this year which i think was the 2nd ironman defo a top 10 potential man.
    van honeacker seems to really focus on hawaii this year as i thik is a ralert and that can work for those guys apart from mind i think raelert the most complete swim bike runner in the field.

females i think cave timed it well this year and raced less
    windy will help steffen and do carfree
    and joyce with a good swim could hold steffen long on the bike and is the 2nd best runner of the contender. will be an intersting races as rinny is the best runner Ironman has ever seen and this will put pressure on the top 3 of the bike.

on another thing in this thread we all make the choices we want to make and the the truth is there is a lot of busiess owners that have kids that make it to hawaii.
    as those people have the drive it take to get their they dont make up excuses they do and thats why they are successful in buisiness too.
    ryan has kids
    molloy has kids and runs a company what i am saying tough people are successful whatever they do as they are diciplined and have willpower.
    and while there is more than 3 % of agers are talented ironman depends less on talent than olympic tri . molloy and ryan where both pretty fat 7 years ago and in the 15 en stone range
    the same cummins he is only in hawaii becasue he really wanted to go there and like he opened a bike shop and did it he went to hawaii
    and the reason is this guy (at least last year ) did 180 k rides on the dublin tri course in the phonix park . allan ryan does 6 hours sessions on a turbo traiiner.
    ie those guys really have it mentally what it takes and they struggle on when most start to cry and walk.
    and they have great support from their other halfs which is very important. but they plan their success and have worked very very hard in life . 80 to 100 hours a week in work live is great IM training.... as its a similar circle there is good and bad days in sport like in business and the ones that get up from failure and work better and harder are the ones that usually succeed.

the people who come up with excuses if i had this i would be great hardly ever go far in live....
    its also funny to see that most male pro athletes become better when they have kids.....and in theorie should have more on their plate but it gives them more focus and distraction from the sport.
    also we have hardly ever seen somebody on the dole to be a good triathlete....
    of course less on the plate helps but the people with really good time management and business owners with the needed self drive are not really in a disadvantage as building up a buisness gives s a very transferable skill to become a good Ironman, as those guys are alpha people that often dont understand you cant do that, they find ways how to do something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭sherdo2010

This is starting 5pm Irish time right!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Hopefully the table below will help tracking the race within a race for first Irish home.
    Takeaway menu on standby, beers in fridge, kids all knackered and will be in bed early. If Carlsberg did Saturdays!!
    Race No|Name|AG|Swim|T1|60.5mile bike|bike finish|T2|13.1mile run|Run total|Finish
    814|Alan Ryan|M45-49||||||||
    995|James McLaughlin|M40-44||||||||
    1034|Matt Molloy|M40-44||||||||
    1198|Rob Cummins|M40-44||||||||
    1308|Owen Martin|M35-39||||||||
    1371|Martin Muldoon|M35-39||||||||
    1385|Neil Ferrick|M35-39||||||||
    1662|Liam Dolan|M30-34||||||||
    1715|Mike O Brien|M30-34||||||||
    1991|Kate Lahart|F25-29||||||||
    2094|Sharon O Hara|F18-24||||||||

Race No|Name|AG|Swim|T1|60.5mile bike|bike finish|T2|13.1mile run|Run total|Finish
    814|Alan Ryan|M45-49||||||||
    995|James McLaughlin|M40-44||||||||
    1034|Matt Molloy|M40-44||||||||
    1198|Rob Cummins|M40-44||||||||
    1308|Owen Martin|M35-39||||||||
    1371|Martin Muldoon|M35-39||||||||
    1385|Neil Ferrick|M35-39||||||||
    1515|Ivan O Gorman|M35-39||||||||
    1662|Liam Dolan|M30-34||||||||
    1715|Mike O Brien|M30-34||||||||
    1991|Kate Lahart|F25-29||||||||
    2094|Sharon O Hara|F18-24||||||||

Thanks JB, one more addition 1515

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kennedy_adrian

catweazle wrote: »
    Probably a good footballer so as well, plenty of Feericks on that Milltown team over the years

He never played any football really. His brother and father were great footballers. He wasn't involved in sport growing up at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭centre back

http://universalsports.com/triathlon/

Or

Ironman.com

Seems like they've updated the site
    thanks notwitch, watching it now, at least the time difference here in canada is a better than back home!

Matt Molloy out in 54:36 6th in AG so by that account, I'd add 5-8 mins to the expected time of the rest of the Irish

O'Brien 71:37
    Martin 71:11
    Muldoon 67:11
    Alan Ryan 73:21
    Cummins 79:21
    McLaughlin 74:27
    O'Hara 83:23
    O'Gorman 79:40
    Lahart 77:02
    Ferrick 76:44
    Dolan ... come on LCD!