Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

importing shotgun from Northern Ireland

Options
  • 02-10-2012 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi All,

Incase of confusion I live in ROI.

I am looking to buy my first shotgun. After looking at several dealer websites I have seen a few north of the border that i fancy.

Now i am wondering about the implications of purchasing in northern ireland. How would i go about it? Would i have to apply for my licence in ROI first with the gun serial number and then look to apply for an import licence or what would be the procedure? It is a huge hassle considering I do not yeat hold my firearms licence?

If anyone has any experience or information I would greatly appreciate it. I WOULD LIKE TO BE ARMED WITH SOME INFO BEFORE CONTACTING THE DEALERS IN QUESTION.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Ye you are right,
    Get the licence for it and apply for an import licence, If you want to go and collect it from him you would then need to get a european firearms pass you get that from your local station. And then you would need to apply to the psni for a visitors permit. Or you could have it shipped to your local rfd. It's not that much hassle but I am sure you would find the same gun down here somewhere,
    What are you interested in getting?
    Maybe someone here knows where you can get it without going to the hassle.:) I have done it myself it takes a few weeks longer once you get the licence which is pure torture.:D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭niall_walsh

good man juice,

Was looking at a few berretta 686 and miroku MK38. I don't have my heart set on these but I have tried out a few and loved them. The import looks like a hassle but if i seen what i wanted at the right price I would put up with it.

Also what's the deal with buying from a private seller like on the boards here. I presume i'd have to get serial number get licence etc before deal would be completed. I can't see someone waiting that long to complete the deal. Would I be able to get a friend of mine with a licence to purchase and then purchase it off him once I would have licence sorted? I suppose the same question would apply to getting him to purchase in northern ireland and then buy off him once licence is processed?

I have been reading the Dept of justice website.........complicated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Yes you have to wait until the process is complete, they could either wait until you got the licence or store it in an rfd untill you got the licence. You need a licence for each gun and you need to apply for each one separately, So if your friend bought it he would be waiting the same amount of time as you would be. That would be far more hassle. Thats quite a popular gun you should have no bother finding one. I will keep my eye out. If you see a dealer has one in cork and you are in donegal then you can just have the dealer in cork post it to your dealer.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭niall_walsh

Thought as much regarding my friend. Thanks for the offer to keep a look out and the advice re buying one privately. I'm actually based in Cavan but that is neither here or there.

I appreciate your time and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I have bought a couple of shotguns in NI,
    paid my money got a letter and even the import license application filled in by the dealer.
    Faxed the paperwork to the PTB got the import license back within the week registered post.

Then waited for my license from the gardai, picked that up, showed him my import license and away to NI.

Gave the permit to the dealer picked up the gun, stepped back across the border all done and dusted. Very very easy but that was 2002

• Advertisement
Advertisement