Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No dogs on the beach from June - Sept

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

cocker5 wrote: »
    GStones32...

I have to ask .... are you actually being serious?

You say you child was knocked over by a dog on the beach.... the you mention the word "attack"!!!!! was the dog growling at your child, being aggresssive or was he actually just knocked over??

reason i ask is you mention the word "attack" many times in your post yet you say you son was infact just knocked over? They are two VERY VERY different issues. And to be honest your sound a little hysterical.... and over the top if infact a dog just knocked your child over.

So im going to take it you as being a very over proctective parent using words like "attack" etc and assume (as you said in your post) the dog knocked your child over and say this.....

I am a responsible dog owner who often walks / runs my dog around the "path" area of Greystones Beach and all over Greystones infact.

I always walk him on lead, he is a very friendly dog whom I adore but I do understand not everybody is dog friendly and wouldnt appreciate it if he ran up to them for a pet etc... so I do believe dogs should be kept on lead on the Greystones South beach and I also think ALL dog owners who dont clean up after the dogs should be fined €100 on the spot, as should the parents who leave "sh*tty" nappies on the beach, and sweets wrappers from their kids... they too should be fined.

We all have to play our part and keep the beach clean and safe for EVERYBODY to enjoy.

With regard to the incident with your child, the fact is it shouldnt have happened, the dog should be on their lead, was you child hurt? It doenst sound like it (thank god) but lets be realistic here, its a public beach if you dont want anyone, anything, any animal near your child best keep them at home is my honest answer.

Its a public area that should be enjoyed by all.

another child could have ran by and accidently knocked your child over... or a flying ball this could could have come in contact with your child. Its a part of life Im afraid. the same could have happened witha swing in the playground - maybe that should be removed too?? you honestly sound hysterical using words like attack...

Everybody has the right to enjoy using the beach... regardless of whether it scares you or not.

I hope you child is ok .... but your really sound like an over proctective parent (its a bit scary if in honest) when firstly you say you child was knocked over by a dog then you refer to it an an "attack"!!!

you really need to use correct words and stops trying to scaremonger.

The law states dogs need to be under control NOT on lead....

anyway its a public beach to be used by the public.... this includes.... parents, children, OAP's, dog owners etc....

This post is beneath contempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Gstones 32's post was totally reasonable. No so called ''responsible dog owner'' has rights to do what they want with their dog that supersede the rights of an 18 mth old child to play on the beach. ''He wont hurt ye'' ''She's friendly'' How often do you hear this? Paths. Harbour, green areas in Greystones all soiled by responsible dog owners. Even the private forest walk in the Glenview has now been discovered by the ''not on my own doorstep'' poo brigade. Ban on the beach all year I'd prefer. Any deterent to stop people in urban areas from getting dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Jethropool

GStones32...

You say you child was knocked over by a dog on the beach.... the you mention the word "attack"!!!!! was the dog growling at your child, being aggresssive or was he actually just knocked over??

reason i ask is you mention the word "attack" many times in your post yet you say you son was infact just knocked over? They are two VERY VERY different issues. And to be honest your sound a little hysterical.... and over the top if infact a dog just knocked your child over.

So im going to take it you as being a very over proctective parent using words like "attack" etc and assume (as you said in your post) the dog knocked your child over and say this.....

I am a responsible dog owner who often walks / runs my dog around the "path" area of Greystones Beach and all over Greystones infact.

I always walk him on lead, he is a very friendly dog whom I adore but I do understand not everybody is dog friendly and wouldnt appreciate it if he ran up to them for a pet etc... so I do believe dogs should be kept on lead on the Greystones South beach and I also think ALL dog owners who dont clean up after the dogs should be fined €100 on the spot, as should the parents who leave "sh*tty" nappies on the beach, and sweets wrappers from their kids... they too should be fined.

We all have to play our part and keep the beach clean and safe for EVERYBODY to enjoy.

With regard to the incident with your child, the fact is it shouldnt have happened, the dog should be on their lead, was you child hurt? It doenst sound like it (thank god) but lets be realistic here, its a public beach if you dont want anyone, anything, any animal near your child best keep them at home is my honest answer.

another child could have ran by and accidently knocked your child over... or a flying ball this could could have come in contact with your child. Its a part of life Im afraid. the same could have happened witha swing in the playground - maybe that should be removed too?? you honestly sound hysterical using words like attack...

Everybody has the right to enjoy using the beach... regardless of whether it scares you or not.

I hope you child is ok .... but your really sound like an over proctective parent (its a bit scary if in honest) when firstly you say you child was knocked over by a dog then you refer to it an an "attack"!!!

anyway its a public beach to be used by the public.... this includes.... parents, children, OAP's, dog owners etc....

Cloud cuckoo land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Not Easy

I agree that dog owners should be forced to pick up dog poo and punished if they don`t but this nonsense talk of a ban on dogs in urban areas is a joke!!

Not Easy wrote: »
    I agree that dog owners should be forced to pick up dog poo and punished if they don`t but this nonsense talk of a ban on dogs in urban areas is a joke!!

I would also add that I would prefer a ban on kids on the beach to be honest, they are noisy and annoying :D

All you can do is encourage people to clean up after dogs and punish them if they are caught, the same for littering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

It really should be up to the owners to
    ensure their dogs are in control at all times. I can only let our girl off when there's no one around as she's big and over friendly and would think nothing of jumping on a kid for a lick and a play. Some dogs are fine off the lead though and I have no issue with this.

The poster above hit the nail on the head when they said all the problems are down to the humans whether is be rubbish or ****e.

The word attack however does seem a little dramatic given the context here and certainly banning dogs from all areas is nonsensical.

A little bit of common sense across the board would go a long way.

No one said a ban on dogs from all areas! A ban on dogs from the beach all year round. Making it uncomfortable for people who feel that they have a right to own dogs but no responsibility to clean up after them. it will always be argued that this is a tiny minority. '' Most are responsible dog owners'' lalalala! They're NOT! Walk down the seafront any day and you will see people walking ahead of their dogs pretending not to see. People who do not own dogs (as they live in urban areas and do not think it is ideal to do so ) are totally sick of it.

People who do not own dogs (as they live in urban areas and do not think it is ideal to do so ) are totally sick of it.

This is complete nonsense for obvious reasons however I have to ask, if you see owners ignoring their dogs why don't you speak to them about it ? If enough people do this on enough occasions you will shame them into acting responsibly.

I'll also assume none of you holding this view have cats as we all know they are fast becoming a huge menace with regard to leaving their dirt in people's gardens and I would hate to think that there'd be any hypocrisy in this discussion !!!

Yes I do bollock them and no I don't keep cats. And no it isn't nonsense. Listen to Tom Dunne show some day. I don't respect your ''right'' to keep a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

You wont be bollocking me dearie, - I work hard, pay my taxes, clean up after my dogs and last time I checked it wasnt against the law to have one - what a joyless, BORING, sanctmonious lot you dog Nazis are, the same villagers will be gatherimg the pitchforks when lots of dogs are barking all day because they can't be exercised.

When the start taxing Child Benefit dearie then I will listen to the dog Nazis.

This forum used to be fun and interesting but presumably the people who used it dont bother any more for the same reason I wont be

Sieg Heil !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

You wont be bollocking me dearie, - I work hard, pay my taxes, clean up after my dogs and last time I checked it wasnt against the law to have one - what a joyless, BORING, sanctmonious lot you dog Nazis are, the same villagers will be gatherimg the pitchforks when lots of dogs are barking all day because they can't be exercised.

When they start taxing Child Benefit dearie then I will listen to the dog Nazis.

This forum used to be fun and interesting but presumably the people who used it dont bother any more for the same reason I wont be

Sieg Heil !

I'm not sure what Tom Dunne has to do with it. It's a great show but unfortunately I don't get to listen to it all that often as i'm working....

That aside, whether you respect our rights or not, many of us love dogs, enjoy having them as pets and have a right to keep them. I have no doubt that some dog owners are irresponsible, same goes for some parents, but we don't ban kids on that basis. We should however continue to educate people to ensure they understand the responsibilities that come with owning any animal. Ranting and raving that we don't have a right to keep them will not fix the issue. And I have to agree with previous posters even if it was meant tongue in cheek, by far and away the biggest cause of dirt on the beach is human litter, particularly parents and children. Only recently we had a thread where a dog was injured as a result of fishermen leaving hooks and line. Should we ban that too ?

Any deterent to stop people in urban areas from getting dogs.

What?
    No one said a ban on dogs from all areas! .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Do dog owners have to downplay every incident or resort to "whataboutery" everytime stuff comes up?

People who don't know a dog or owner are just expected to assume that if its off a lead it's safe, especially around children? There's been enough cases of familiar dogs supposedly acting out of character attacking children within the family. Families should be able to enjoy the beach without even a perceived threat from unteathered dogs imo.

The amount of dog crap around the place really doesn't convince me it's only a minority that are irresponsible either to be honest - but once dog owners can point to general litter, they clearly aren't that arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mirekb

I have dogs and agree that there is an unacceptable level of irresponsibility amongst my fellow dog owners re poo picking up etc. However, my right to own dogs who are well loved, well fed and well exercised shouldn't be in question either.
    I very rarely walk my dogs on the north end of the south beach, I go the other way. There are two reasons for this 1. kids can be scared of dogs and I don't like scaring children and 2. some parents are irresponsible in how they let their children approach dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GStones32

GStones32...

I'm sorry if you feel this way. I came onto boards.ie for some simple advice on this matter and I was disgusted when I read your post. I was going to close my account straight away until I saw some other people's views weren't like yours.

My son spent two nights in hospital so for fogive me for being "hysterical" about this "attack".

Maybe you are an "over protective" dog owner or maybe you were the cowardly dog owner that ran away when I tried to confront them.

(its a public beach if you dont want anyone, anything, any animal near your child best keep them at home is my honest answer) - I don't think it is too much to ask that a child can play on the beach!

I'm going to treat you and your post (Cocker5) with the contempt that you deserve and ignore you. Please do not reply or comment again as I do not want to get involved in a childish quarrel. All I wanted was some help and views on this matter, not to get abused.

Going forward, I have received a phone call from the Dog Warden this morning who said they would be concentrating patrols in Greystones in the coming weeks, so we'll see what happens.

Slán

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mirekb

Was he bitten? That must have been awful. I hope they find the dog and owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

GStones32 wrote: »
    I'm sorry if you feel this way. I came onto boards.ie for some simple advice on this matter and I was disgusted when I read your post. I was going to close my account straight away until I saw some other people's views weren't like yours.

My son spent two nights in hospital so for fogive me for being "hysterical" about this "attack".

Maybe you are an "over protective" dog owner or maybe you were the cowardly dog owner that ran away when I tried to confront them.

(its a public beach if you dont want anyone, anything, any animal near your child best keep them at home is my honest answer) - I don't think it is too much to ask that a child can play on the beach!

I'm going to treat you and your post (Cocker5) with the contempt that you deserve and ignore you. Please do not reply or comment again as I do not want to get involved in a childish quarrel. All I wanted was some help and views on this matter, not to get abused.

Going forward, I have received a phone call from the Dog Warden this morning who said they would be concentrating patrols in Greystones in the coming weeks, so we'll see what happens.

Slán

Im sorry but i just dont believe this for one second..... two nights in hospital???

If this was the case surely you would have mentioned this in your original post. then this is an attack and should be treated like a criminal offence! There would be witnesses etc and im sure they would have confronted the owners etc... and called the guards etc...

IF this was the case the guards should have been called and if the dog did indeed "attack" you child as a result he had to go to hospital for two nights the dog would have been PTS and the owners would be liable and rightly so !!! IF this is the case which I dont believe it is.

If my child was "attacked" in the manner in which your NEW post suggest and had to spend two nights in hospital I would go mental!

BTW you mentioned maybe I'm the cowardly owner who ran away... sorry but as i already mentioned i walk my dog ON LEAD and on the paths etc not on the sand etc so sorry to disappoint you but it wasnt me!

and if my dog did EVER attack someone (unprovoked) I think I would surrender him myself to the guards etc... I have NO time for aggressive dogs of any kind....so sorry your wrong on this occasion.

BUT I dont believe this is what happened.... something just doesn't add up im afraid. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I do hope your child is ok.... Im sure it was scarey for him

but your new post... doesnst really add up in my opinion im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Report this "attack" to the local gardai? newspaper? If this attack happened and your son spent two whole days in hospital, this should be big news and will help your cause.

I would also hope that you would never exagerate a story about your son's well being for your own benefit or to try to win an internet forum arguement.

Publicise it, take pictures, talk to papers, dog wardens, gardai, get everyone talking about it.

Report this "attack" to the local gardai? newspaper? If this attack happened and your son spent two whole days in hospital, this should be big news and will help your cause.

I would also hope that you would never exagerate a story about your son's well being for your own benefit or to try to win an internet forum arguement.

Publicise it, take pictures, talk to papers, dog wardens, gardai, get everyone talking about it.

My point exactly ;)

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Do dog owners have to downplay every incident or resort to "whataboutery" everytime stuff comes up?

People who don't know a dog or owner are just expected to assume that if its off a lead it's safe, especially around children? There's been enough cases of familiar dogs supposedly acting out of character attacking children within the family. Families should be able to enjoy the beach without even a perceived threat from unteathered dogs imo.

The amount of dog crap around the place really doesn't convince me it's only a minority that are irresponsible either to be honest - but once dog owners can point to general litter, they clearly aren't that arsed.
    Exactly

Maisy wrote: »

When the start taxing Child Benefit dearie then I will listen to the dog Nazis.

Sieg Heil !
    With a post like that you wont be missed. Dogs v Child benefit. What logic!. Meanwhile this morning tidy town are working the spine road margins stepping over the **** you non BORING people leave behind. you disgust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Gstones 32's post was totally reasonable. No so called ''responsible dog owner'' has rights to do what they want with their dog that supersede the rights of an 18 mth old child to play on the beach. ''He wont hurt ye'' ''She's friendly'' How often do you hear this? Paths. Harbour, green areas in Greystones all soiled by responsible dog owners. Even the private forest walk in the Glenview has now been discovered by the ''not on my own doorstep'' poo brigade. Ban on the beach all year I'd prefer. Any deterent to stop people in urban areas from getting dogs.

Are you actually for real saying something this stupid? You really do hate dogs don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

With a post like that you wont be missed. Dogs v Child benefit. What logic!. Meanwhile this morning tidy town are working the spine road margins stepping over the **** you non BORING people leave behind. you disgust me.

Hold on a second 'stepping over the ****'? Hyperbole of the highest order said to back up your single minded agenda. My pregnant wife walked up the spine road yesterday and didn't mention this mountain of ****.

no! I love dogs. I have just come to the conclusion that people will not do the right thing by others where dogs are concerned. They seem to bring out selfish worst in people. You wouldn't take a dump in someone elses garden but yet we have several responsible dog owners traipsing through the estate daily, ignoring the dog behind them, playing on mobile phones ,etc. A paid dog walker taking up to five dog walkies, again no bag. it's not in my garden so it doesn't matter is the sentiment. You may not want to face this. But...............

Hold on a second 'stepping over the ****'? Hyperbole of the highest order said to back up your single minded agenda. My pregnant wife walked up the spine road yesterday and didn't mention this mountain of ****.

you,ve got to be kidding. walk to the gym both sides of the road and have a look yourself. Or beyond eden gate up the farrankelly road. the harbour,
    even the main st is rarely free off dog****. You and ''your pregnant wife'' might think that's ok. I dont. thats all

you,ve got to be kidding. walk to the gym both sides of the road and have a look yourself. Or beyond eden gate up the farrankelly road. the harbour,
    even the main st is rarely free off dog****. You and ''your pregnant wife'' might think that's ok. I dont. thats all

Will you take a chill pill....

there is one thing I will agree with you on (and only one thing) that Greystones is literally heaving with dog poo.... as a dog owner it REALLY bugs me too.

I havent really seen it on the main street, but most def all along the sea front, the Burnaby, and many more places. TBH it totally p*sses me off. I walk my dog around Greystones each night and without a doubt each night i see at least 5 /6 poos and its dreadful.

on occasion I have approcahed people with a poo bag in hand (as my pockets are full with them for my dog) offering it to them when I see their dog going to the toilet and many times they have told me to "f*ck off" I believe the ONLY way to get them to clean up after their animals is hit them where it hurts - in the pocket - €100 fine when caught, and then we may see people acting responsible.

Absolutely. If this was an agressive attack and your son was hospitlised, this should be all over the news. Attacks in the UK make national news headlines. The incident should be reported as the dog and owner need to be dealt with appropriately before it can harm another child.

cuddlycavies - None of us like stepping in dog ****e and we all agree that irresponsible owners are an issue but your posts are coming across as irrational rants which does nothing to resolve the situation.

Swanner wrote: »
    Absolutely.

cuddlycavies - None of us like stepping in dog ****e and we all agree that irresponsible owners are an issue but your posts are coming across as irrational rants which does nothing to resolve the situation.
    Well the tidy towns lads are up there today. Go up and ask them if its irrational ranting. Their hard work being literally shat on by the responsible dog owners of Greystones. It's not a rant. The ones who clean up are a small minority. If people don't get angry about it, it will just stay as is. Drogheda currently have a campaign and one is to be launched in Dun laoghaire. I will be trying to get support to do something in Greystones. have already started. will keep you poopers posted!

• Advertisement

Drogheda currently have a campaign and one is to be launched in Dun laoghaire. I will be trying to get support to do something in Greystones. have already started. will keep you poopers posted!

Now your talking. That will achieve a lot more then moaning about it on boards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement