Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

looks like a better looking mount and blade, could be good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,389 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Combat looks a bit simplistic mind you. Hack at another bloke - if he blocks, you've wasted your hit (more or less), if not you take some HP off. Kinda like Skyrim and Oblivion. Which isn't to say it's bad, but it could do with being a bit more complex.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

LMAO that is one violent game :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's still only in Beta, but looks like savage fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭blaa85

Anyone buy this yet? It's out now for €23 on Steam. One of the lads threw this video up on facebook, it looks like some laugh.

I'll definately get it this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

blaa85 wrote: »

That looks hilarious, especially at 3:13. Like something out of Loony Toons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭blaa85

Actually works out about €19.50 if ya buy direct from their site or gamersgate.

So got the game last night and spent a bit of time playing the Team Objective mode which is 2 teams attacking and defending. There's the usual game modes too like deathmatch, TDM, CTF, King of the Hill, Last Man Standing, etc, but didn't really play any of them.

Majority of servers are 24 or 32 players, there's one that's 64 but it's constantly full and the ping is probably horrible.

It's pretty funny to play but the combat and buttons (There's quite a lot for combat) have a bit of a learning curve to them.

You definitely won't live long or scratch up many kills if you just charge in and mash the left-mouse button, there has to be a small bit of strategy like timing your left-mouse button to get 2 swings in one motion (a lot more vital than you might think) and know when to block since you can only do it a second at a time if you don't select a shield.

There's no time for Rambo moves here as it's extremely easy to be cornered by a bunch of guys and get cut to pieces in a second. It only takes 2 - 3 hits to kill you, sometimes 1 hit if the other guy is lucky.

Once you wrap your head around them though the combat is very satisfying ranging from Conan The Barbarian-esque (Pressing your shout button while charging, slicing someone to pieces, and then continuing onto your next victim) to the comical (a stand-off between you and another guy amidst a big battle with the 2 of you shouting at each other and and hiding behind a pillar that's between you and him, like a game of peek-a-boo)

There's 4 classes with Archer, normal sword guy who can dodge quickly, pike guy who has good range, and Champion who's a tough but slow guy. Once you get used to the combat, playing as the Champion makes you very deadly. Tried the archer but it's really wierd and inconsistent when firing with a bow & arrow, the crossbow is cool but slow to reload (It's disadvantage of being a strong weapon)

A lot still needs to be fixed with this game (it's still early days for it) as the combat does have it's problems but the fun factor keeps it entertaining. Seeing someone get hit by a javelin machine really does need to be seen, it's hilarious as they fly by you at the speed of light and their mangled ragdoll gets mushed into a wall. It sounds really painful, too, when they get smashed with it :pac:

Adding a shout button is great, nothing like you and about 10 others charging at some poor sap with a stick while roaring your heads off.

This game is funny as hell to play, currently been on the 64 player server which is just mayhem:

2012102300014.jpg
    2012102300008.jpg
    2012102300009.jpg
    2012102300011.jpg
    2012102300016.jpg
    2012102300002.jpg
    2012102300006o.jpg
    2012102300019.jpg
    2012102300020.jpg
    2012102300021.jpg
    2012102300022.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Tempted to pick it up at the weekend. Looks like a lot of fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

I picked this up after watching a coupel of videos, ended up playing it for 6 hours yesterday :D
    **** is absolutely MENTAL. Just hordes of people charging in and windmilling broadswords and whatnot, absolutely brilliant fun. Havent gotten the hang of the combat yet but ive managed a few good games with positive KDR, but honestly its jsut so much fun hacking away and WAAAAUGHHHHHHH'ing your way across the battlefield that scores dont matter that much

I tend to be the guy who shouts out "HELP!!" as I'm attacking someone. :D

I find that I'm quite good as the Knight with the hammer (not a sledge one, it looks more like your typical garden shed one :pac:). It's awful satisfying smacking people with it and knocking their helmets off.

Getting a lot better at the combat, knowing when to shield and kick someone back gives you a great advantage.

I'd often find myself sitting near the bottom of the table for a while then, when I get a streak, I find myself on top or near the top. Haven't come across anyone who has gotten a crazy amount of kills in a match so it's very doable to come first on the list.

There's some people who are insanely good at throwing a javelin when they are an archer. My best line of offence is to just run at them, strafing away, while shouting. It's funny to see them miss you, turn around and then run away from you while you scream your head off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

When I saw this, it just kept screaming 'Age of Chivalry' at me, I haven't checked into the game much but is there any difference between this and Age of Chivalry besides the better graphics?

When I saw this, it just kept screaming 'Age of Chivalry' at me, I haven't checked into the game much but is there any difference between this and Age of Chivalry besides the better graphics?

Didn't play AOC but from I gather from others is that it's a lot more refined and considering it's made from the same developers there's going to be long term support for it.

They're very responsive to people over at the forums and are taking a lot from people's reactions and ideas.

There was a major problem yesterday on Steam's end which made the game unplayable after a hotfix for the game was released. All servers freaked out acting like they were full and nobody could play the game for a few hours.

Anyways, this is the most fun I've had online since the L4D games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Didn't play AOC but from I gather from others is that it's a lot more refined and considering it's made from the same developers there's going to be long term support for it.

They're very responsive to people over at the forums and are taking a lot from people's reactions and ideas.

There was a major problem yesterday on Steam's end which made the game unplayable after a hotfix for the game was released. All servers freaked out acting like they were full and nobody could play the game for a few hours.

Anyways, this is the most fun I've had online since the L4D games.

Good stuff, didn't know it was the same developers but it did just very much seem like the same type of game as AOC just a newer version :). Age of Chivalry was great and I loved Mount and Blade so might give this a go at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I wasn't sure about if I'd want to pick this up, but I went with my gut and got it last night along with Hotline Miami. It was strange to get two games at the same time where I didn't mind dying and was laughing every time I did.

This is a whole lot of fun. Completely manic at times and so satisfying when you do things right (which for me, is rarely). And as said above, seeing someone taken out with a ballistic is f*cking hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Bought it this evening. It is hilarious :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Stop bumping this topic as it keeps reminding that i want this game! Im trying to finish my other games first before i buy any more ****! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Stop bumping this topic as it keeps reminding that i want this game! Im trying to finish my other games first before i buy any more ****! :mad:

Oh, go ooooooooon! It's absurd in its own way, but very fun. It reminds me of UT2k4 Ballistic Weapons mod simply because of the dismemberment :D

Also, cleaving three enemies in a single halberd swing is... truly satisfying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Robby91 wrote: »
    Oh, go ooooooooon! It's absurd in its own way, but very fun. It reminds me of UT2k4 Ballistic Weapons mod simply because of the dismemberment :D

Also, cleaving three enemies in a single halberd swing is... truly satisfying

Halberd is broken :P

I'm a jumping overhead attacker myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Dermighty wrote: »
    Halberd is broken :P

I'm a jumping overhead attacker myself.

You just made me realise that I was actually wrong there. It was the bardiche I got a triple kill (in a single attack) with! I haven't had much time to use the halberd yet though, since I opted to go with the Vanguard's 2-handed sword line for a while to unlock it entirely - the Claymore's a bloody beast of a weapon! Despite the inferior range, it's great craic to charge straight in and swing like a madman.

I really wanna take some time to get kills with the Great Axe for the Knight, but it feels really different to the Vanguard weapons and is taking a while to get used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Good, fun game and a nice break from the FPSes. There's quite a bit of skill and teamwork involved too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Caved and bought it. Its nice for a break from more "serious" games. Getting that clean headchop kill is soooooooo satisfying

Still loving this, it's great when you come across a worthy adversary on a server and you frequently have 1 vs 1 fights that take skill.

Interestingly, the odd time if you're fighting 1 on 1 with a guy and his teammates show up, they'll stand there and watch the 2 of you fight. Though you'll also get the arsehole who'll dive in swinging his hammer :pac:

I hope they're frequent with the updates, there's a lot they can do with new maps in terms of objectives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

I got the game on monday been playin it all the time.
    really enjoying it, a mate ended up getting it aswell.

its just a difference from the rest of the games its great.

startin to improve at it.
    mainly playing archer, up close to the fighting, behind team mates, supporting them with distraction damage, and kills when I can.
    Also trying to just hold up enemies by blocking them while waiting for a team mate to finish them off.

although really improving in my 1 v 1 skills. deffinately coming out with more kills than deaths, have manage to take on 2 or 3 guys at a time once or twice through strafing and positioning.

would love to see how the game is played in a proper team work aspect, such as a 5 v 5 type, with teamspeak and what not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

For anyone who might be interested.
    theres a 1v1 competition this weekend.

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/qqqs5rf3ho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

Picked it up today on Steam sale, its fantastic, very bloody and funny /bloody funny.
    not a hack and slash, actually takes skill to use the moves, I aint got none, yet.

A really nice change

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Gave this a bash again last night with the lads:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

This seems to be free for the weekend. Showing in my Library for 3 more days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Kiith wrote: »
    This seems to be free for the weekend. Showing in my Library for 3 more days.
    must give it a bash.Kind of regreted getting Natural Selection over this with my last tenner in the steam sale,so shall see if its any good before I'll pick it up.

Advertisement