Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cluid Voluntary Housing

Options
  • 02-10-2012 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I am wondering if anyone here has any experiences living in a Cluid owned property, especially if it is a mixed tenure development.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

em_cat wrote: »
    Hi all

I am wondering if anyone here has any experiences living in a Cluid owned property, especially if it is a mixed tenure development.

Thanks in advance.
    Think there was a thread about this recently. You could be paying €1600 a month next to someone paying sfa for the same sort of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

Thanks, I am aware that there has been a thread similar to this already started, but I have some specific questions in regarding how Cluid manages their properties, especially when there is management company in place, and when the development is a mix of private ownership, rentals and local authority housing.

I am hoping to hear from anyone, including people who live in a Cluid property and as well as some private owners in this type of development.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

my sister lives in the one in stepaside and she is a social housing single mom...there are both social housing and privately owned properties

the first thing i will say is please dont listen to the same old crap that social welfare applicants get their apts for nothing, that is not true, my sister pays on average 200-250 a mth rent which is well above the average that a tenant has to contribute when on rent allowance, this isnt that far off what a working person pays for a house share or flat share and she also has a child to factor into the equation.

As for the type of tenants, yes there are a few heads that you would rather not be around but weather private or social welfare you get weirdos everywhere as long as you keep yourself to yourself then there is no problems, she has gotten on fine in the place

the was two things that happened while she was there, one a shooting well publicised in the news and the other a mother arrested and sentenced for taking photos of her little girl with a naked man, both very serious but both can happen in any community, neither make the stepaside development a bad place

i visit her a bit and the apartments themselves are quite big and seem to hold the heat well so her heating bill is a whole lot less than mine, the common areas are well maintained both inside and out and the caretaker lives in one of the apartments should you need him any time of the day or night. She did have a leak underneath the floor recently and they where quick to act and fix it aswell as replacing any tiles that where damaged. She has never had any complaints about the apartment itself, she does keep herself to herself and has never had any trouble that you would not find in any other apartment complex and for the most part seems happy to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Cluid - what's the catch?
    They do the governments job for them and it's a non profit entitiy and registered charity.
    My inner skeptic doesn't get it.
    How is it funded?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Zamboni wrote: »
    Cluid - what's the catch?
    They do the governments job for them and it's a non profit entitiy and registered charity.
    My inner skeptic doesn't get it.
    How is it funded?

http://www.cluid.ie/_fileupload/Cluids%20Annual%20Report%202011%20Final.pdf

Just had a quick skim-read of this.
    So in a nutshell, it is a big landlord, subsidised by local authorities, the HSE and the Dept of the Enivironment and exists to generate (probably) massive salaries for it's management.
    All in the name of nice housing for poor people.

• Advertisement

Thanks to all who have posted here.

I don't mean to be blunt but I am not looking for peoples views on the type of people that Cluid houses, I am specifically looking to hear from people who currently live, have lived in a Cluid property or from private owners who live developments that have Cluid properties mixed with private ownership.

Cheers

Op what do you mean the type of people, there is no stereotype here sorry to burst your bubble

people who work can be any "type" as can people on welfare, if your looking for a description of a Jane Doe with 5 kids scrounging on lone parents with not a tooth in her head and common as muck, dragging her kids up...Im sure there are some of them, likewise there are 9-5ers, lone parents dropping kids to school working part time, stay at home mothers

As I have said from my post above there was two incidents in the cluid run stepaside apartments but as to what type they are, you decide that

What you judge someone as and what someone else views them as can be vastly different so if you want to know what "type", drive yourself down there, get yourself a paper to pass the time and have a look at the "type" of people who come and go, but remember its not nice to judge books by there covers

also its terenure how many scumbags do you see hanging round terenure really.... its not west tallaght or finglas....and there i go judging lol :rolleyes:

Tenure not terenure lol my bad

edellec

I think there is a misunderstanding here, I was referring to the above post from Zomboni. I am trying to avoid judgmental comments being made as that is not the purpose of why I started this thread. As I said above, I am not looking for peoples opinions on who Cluid houses and am not looking for opinions on providing housing for people on welfare.

The reason why I started this thread was to gain an insight into how Cluid manages their properties when in a mixed tenure development. The only way I can get this is to ask those who live in Cluid Housing within this type of development with but also those who are not Cluid tenants but live in that type of development.

I apologise if my above post seemed judgmental in any way.

em cat, cluid are just like a co.co they allocate a certain number of apts to social housing, mostly tenants on housing list for that area can ring cluid and ask to be housed (everyone i know in cluid homes has done this) its a fairly quick process after that, rents are higher than if you where on rent allowance, its paid weekly into bank account any problems ring cluid they send someone out to check it out no problems

i dont live in one but my sis does and lots of friends some working some on social housing none on boards, everyone is happy with the apt and i am green with envy about how well the apts are built and how well they are kept

like everywhere you get good and bad tenants and to class social welfare ones as bad and private as good is not right you

if your thinking of moving into a cluid property then ultimately what is said on here is not what you should go on, it should be based on your needs and if it suits you or not and like anywhere else go in the morning, afternoon and evenings along with weekends prior to deciding to see if it suits you and what its really like

if your just doing this as some sort of research for something else then you are going about that the wrong way imo

so i am done posting as it feels that you are doing the latter rather than the former and i feel your trying to coax posters into saying negative points of view about certain TYPES

if im wrong i apologies but thats the impression i get from your posts

Hi edellec, I appreciate your comments and I appreciated your post about your sister's situation and how she is getting on.

I still think you are misunderstanding why I started the thread. Maybe I should point out that I currently live in a development that is mix tenure, meaning we have a mix of social and private dwellings. The area has its good and bad points, but it is not all down to social tenants. I never made any judgements about people and as you have pointed out, this is a kind of research and I believe I am going about it the right way and for the record I know quite alot about Cluid, who they are and what they provide. This was just to hear from people who live in their properties, what it is like for them and also from private owner/occuopiers.

Also, if you feel that I am trying to "coax" a negative response from people about "Types" of poeple, then you clearly have misunderstood the purpose here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Gary The Gamer

edellc wrote: »
    my sister lives in the one in stepaside and she is a social housing single mom...there are both social housing and privately owned properties

the first thing i will say is please dont listen to the same old crap that social welfare applicants get their apts for nothing, that is not true, my sister pays on average 200-250 a mth rent which is well above the average that a tenant has to contribute when on rent allowance, this isnt that far off what a working person pays for a house share or flat share and she also has a child to factor into the equation.

As for the type of tenants, yes there are a few heads that you would rather not be around but weather private or social welfare you get weirdos everywhere as long as you keep yourself to yourself then there is no problems, she has gotten on fine in the place

the was two things that happened while she was there, one a shooting well publicised in the news and the other a mother arrested and sentenced for taking photos of her little girl with a naked man, both very serious but both can happen in any community, neither make the stepaside development a bad place

i visit her a bit and the apartments themselves are quite big and seem to hold the heat well so her heating bill is a whole lot less than mine, the common areas are well maintained both inside and out and the caretaker lives in one of the apartments should you need him any time of the day or night. She did have a leak underneath the floor recently and they where quick to act and fix it aswell as replacing any tiles that where damaged. She has never had any complaints about the apartment itself, she does keep herself to herself and has never had any trouble that you would not find in any other apartment complex and for the most part seems happy to be there.
    Big wow, e200 per month. Is she in a house share then? I doubt it. I pay e1150 per month for an apartment nearby. Congrats to her for procreating.

Big wow, e200 per month. Is she in a house share then? I doubt it. I pay e1150 per month for an apartment nearby. Congrats to her for procreating.

charter rules have you read them at all....

nasty piece of work you are, how dare you judge what circumstances my sister is in to end up in social housing, and if you want to pay over inflated rental prices for your shoe box so be it more fool you then

so what size of a property is in. How does she feel about paying a grand less a month than her working neigbhours?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Edellc- you are being confrontational towards other posters- and deliberately misrepresenting the OP- even when she corrected you. You are also attacking other posters. I'd advise you read the charter also- especially the part about attacking/refuting the post- *without attacking the poster*.......

Gary- the OP was not inviting a social housing bashathon- refrain from going down this road- or I will take action.

OP (em_cat) - please clarify your request a bit better.

Any more nastiness, back seat moderating, snide remarks about social welfare recipients/social housing recipients/cluid or other housing association members etc- and I swear, I will ban people.

Two wrongs don't make a right- if you disagree with what someone posts- and are incapable of refuting it without attacking someone- report it instead and bring it to the moderators attention.

Gary and Edel- yes, both of you, consider yourselves both warned- behave if you don't want a little posting holiday from this forum.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

nasty piece of work you are, how dare you judge what circumstances my sister is in to end up in social housing, and if you want to pay over inflated rental prices for your shoe box so be it more fool you then

I pay inflated rental prices because I have no other option. Prices are pushed up by the state and its associated housing associations controlling supply. Yes it rankles and Id certainly rather not live near social tenants in the same development.

you always have an option but if you want to play the woo is me card off with you

and using the same old "prices are pushed up by the state" due to welfare people is a load of rubbish and is low gary, prices are the way they are due to the people of ireland insistent on owning thus why we had the housing bubble and rents are high as LL have to pay big mortgages

as for your snobbery, karma is a bitch and i hope you never find yourself unemployed and in need of social help

now off with you, you really are not worth replying to any more and this is not they way the OP envisaged the thread going, you have pulled it totally off thread

jog on

Right, you have no clue about rents or the propety market in general. Rents are high because the landlords have big mortgages due to the bubble>? Nothing to do with supply and demand then? Supply is nowhere near high enough due to thousands of empty properties and local authority properties. I'm paying twice for somebody elses mistake.

Right, you have no clue about rents or the propety market in general. Rents are high because the landlords have big mortgages due to the bubble>? Nothing to do with supply and demand then? Supply is nowhere near high enough due to thousands of empty properties and local authority properties. I'm paying twice for somebody elses mistake.

You choose to pay high rents your choice no one else's stop blaming others and take responsibility for your actions

If you don't understand that rents in areas like stepaside, sandyford, dundrum etc etc are high due to massive mortgages taken out on over inflated apartment all because of the Irish condition and the need to buy along with greedy little landlords and novices looking to make a quick buck and banks handing out money like it was free. Thus resulting in rentals with high rents to pay these mortgages, with a bit skimmed off the top as profit and not to mention an extra bit added for the prestige if living in said areas and least I forget you, or should I say people like you who are willing to pay these ridiculous rents, this is why the rents are high, if you don't understand that then your more to be pitied than anything else.

You choose to pay these rents if you don't like it move no one has a gun to your head so stop blaming everyone else and take responsibility

And most of all stop dragging the thread off topic and sprouting on about something you clearly have no understanding off

your understanding of business economics is hilarious. So my rent is somebodies mortgage with a little bit of profit added?

So say my landlord bought in the 80s and had no mortgage, he'd be renting for a couple of hundred quid a month. And the landlord who bought in 2006 on a variable rate might have the same place for 2400 a month. Thats how it works, I can understand your sisters situation a bit better now.

Its great to know that I have a choice. I will tell my landlord that I'm only paying 400 a month as its my choice. Or I might move to athy and have a nice house to myself, forget the 2 hour commute to my job. Or I might become a single parent. Silly me chosing to pay high rents when I had so many other options.

Edellc and Gary- you both received fair warning.
    Another part of the forum charter relates to dragging threads off topic- as you both seem intent on doing.
    3 day ban for both of you- and consider this a slap on the wrist.........

• Advertisement

em_cat - perhaps it might be helpful if you could prepare a list of questions you have covering any aspects of how a mixed development might work- and posters might be in a position to address them point by point.

People- any more petty comments about housing association members, social welfare recipients or any other off-topic posting, not directly pertinent to any questions the OP may pose, will result in further bans.

Em_cat- the floor is yours.

Thanks Shane, I will have a think about it, so I can clarify what I asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

the_syco wrote: »
    Think there was a thread about this recently. You could be paying €1600 a month next to someone paying sfa for the same sort of place.
    hi,know its an old thread,but just came across it,as a cluid tenant forthe last 6 yrs,i live in a 24 hse devolppment (ciuid)alongside approx 60 affordable housing units,,and below us a county council estate(wood view,carrigaline,co cork)in general most ppl are ok,the foreign /non nationals living in cluid housing,except for one family,have never caused any hassle,but there has been nearly constant hassle from some locals/and their kids,fighting/shouting /gardai/etc,quiet for a month or so,then bedlam again,mostly down to drink/drugs ,cluid /gardai gets called,goes quiet for a while,but from one night to another ,one doesent know what will occour.like it or not,a lot of people who get a house for nothing ,have no respect for their area /or their neighbours(i got my cluid house from being on the council list),if i could move i would ,and for any normal person who is considering moving to an area where cluid/co council/owned property is mixed,i for one one advise them not to,youll regret it,maybe other cluid areas are well managed ,mine isnt,damage to property/cars etc,anti social behaviour,dirt,parents who dont supervise their kids,,,,,,,,,,i originally come from a good area,and maybe have different standards,but come on ppl,there are lots of council areas in cork city and county ,where parents/residents control /nurture their kids,and keep their houses/area clean,where i live ,garrydhu drive,this int so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lololololo1234

<Mod Snip>

Please read the forum charter before posting again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Generally speaking, you shouldn't have any concerns living beside Cluid occupied properties. While, it is social housing, Cluid don't tend to put up with bad tenants. So if you're unlucky enough to find yourself living beside anyone involved in anti-social behaviour, chances are they'll be evicted fairly promptly. They're generally very well managed.

Advertisement