Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Legends

• 02-10-2012 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Tom Crean, nicknamed the "Irish Giant" (20 July 1877 - 27 July 1938) was an Irish seaman and Antarctic explorer from County Kerry. He was a member of three of the four major British expeditions to Antarctica during the Heroic Age of Antarctic Exploration

I've only recently been made aware of this guy,He truly is an Irish hero,Shame guys like this go under the radar and are not as celebrated as others.

So who else is an unsung Irish hero?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

You mean, Tom Crean, the guy that had a play written about him etc.?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

what's a play?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

I wouldn't say he's unsung I thought he was quite well known. He even featured in a guiness ad and a few threads on boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

The lad who slipped and bate his head of the pavement on the ice on the RTE news report a few years ago.

He took one for the team that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Tom Crean, nicknamed the "Irish Giant" (20 July 1877 - 27 July 1938) was an Irish seaman and Antarctic explorer from County Kerry. He was a member of three of the four major British expeditions to Antarctica during the Heroic Age of Antarctic Exploration

I've only recently been made aware of this guy,He truly is an Irish hero,Shame guys like this go under the MY radar and are not as celebrated as others.

your radar and everyone else's are two different things :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

what's a play?

A live-action youtube clip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

I've only recently been made aware of this guy,He truly is an Irish hero,Shame guys like this go under the radar and are not as celebrated as others.

Just read that Unsung Hero book. Now that is what you call a hard man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

If you're a reader, i'd recommend the book 'An unsung hero' , all about his role in the antartic expedition. Some of the stuff he did and was a part of is incredible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Charlie Bird.

A man who retraced Tom Crean's "footsteps" by flying to the South Pole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭who what when

Charlie Bird.

And mating with a sealion!

• Advertisement

Charlie Bird.

And got molested by an elephant seal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

To be fair he did get plenty of recognition for his contribution to the Empire during his lifetime so it isn't the case that he really was an "unsung hero".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Arthur Guinness is an unsung Irish hero.We should have a day in celebration of him and the Italian company which now owns his name......................Oh Wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

I was in Annascaul recently, they could do a lot more to commemorate the guy

I was in Annascaul recently, they could do a lot more to commemorate the guy

Theres a room dedicated to him in the museum in Tralee, though I haven't been in it to see what its like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Charlie Bird.

That's birds flying south for the winter for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Charlie Bird.

"when I look out of the window of the captains quarters on this Naval vessel, I wonder what it must have felt like to be Tom Crean approaching the ice continent"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

"when I look out of the window of the captains quarters on this Naval vessel, I wonder what it must have felt like to be Tom Crean approaching the ice continent"

Fcukin' cold I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Tom Crean was unheard of for many years in ireland because he joined the Royal Navy, and we're a bunch of c*nts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Arthur Guinness is an unsung Irish hero.We should have a day in celebration of him and the Italian company which now owns his name......................Oh Wait

Diageo aren't Italian, they're British. Their name was invented by a marketing company, which is even more depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

His boss Ernest Shackleton was Irish too. That has only really been highlighted in this country in recent years due to our tendency to ignore Irish people who did amazing things while working for the British before independence. Our history is very badly distorted by it's over emphasis on fighting the British.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

Francis Higgins, the most badass clim from castletown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Katie Taylor.
    No description necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Tom Crean was unheard of for many years in ireland because he joined the Royal Navy, and we're a bunch of c*nts.

This makes for harsh reading :eek:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/analysis/unsung-heroes-of-war-199331.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Katie Taylor.
    No description necessary.

Unsung? She was the talk of the country for weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Funglegunk wrote: »
    Unsung? She was the talk of the country for weeks!
    Ooops. I went on the thread title, and not the last line of the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

John Hume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

My right foot - well it is an Irish leg-end

*tumbleweed*
    *bells tolling*
    *crickets*

Ah fook, I've done it again :rolleyes: :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Lugs Branigan, now theres a man who needs a bit of a song sung about him.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

OldGoat wrote: »
    Lugs Branigan, now theres a man who needs a bit of a song sung about him.

We should clone him !!! Sort out all the ASBO's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Dan Donnelly http://www.curraghcamp.com/dan.html

It says Dan Donnelly's arm was removed from the Hideout pub in Kilcullen in 1996, but I'd heard it'd been 're-instated' since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Prop Joe wrote: »
    We should clone him !!! Sort out all the ASBO's
    He'd be kinda like MegaDublins very own Judge*, with fists instead of LawGivers.

*Nerd reply, just ignore it if you don't get it.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

OldGoat wrote: »
    He'd be kinda like MegaDublins very own Judge*, with fists instead of LawGivers.

*Nerd reply, just ignore it if you don't get it.

i remember reading a VERY short book about him, think it's still in the parents place........ What a man. a good old fashioned law man

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Charlie Bird.

And he did it in winter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Feeona wrote: »
    Different times, different rules.

Apart from the Commonwealth most of the combatants , including the USA, executed some of their deserters. The Commonwealth did execute Lord Haw Haw even though he held an Irish passport.

They deserted our defence forces during "The Emergency". How would people have felt about soldiers from neutral countries like Belgium or Holland who deserted to France in 1939 ?

Yes they were hard done by, but they did swear an oath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

Dermot Earley Snr seems to have all the makings of an Irish Legend. Never heard anybody talk negative about him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

U Dhammaloka,
    was an Irish-born hobo (migrant worker)[1] turned Buddhist monk, atheist critic of Christian missionaries, and temperance campaigner who took an active role in the Asian Buddhist revival around the turn of the twentieth century.

Dhammaloka was ordained in Burma prior to 1900, making him one of the earliest attested western Buddhist monks. He was a celebrity preacher, vigorous polemicist and prolific editor in Burma and Singapore between 1900 and his conviction for sedition and appeal in 1910–1911. Drawing on western atheist writings, he publicly challenged the role of Christian missionaries and by implication the British empire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U_Dhammaloka

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Dante

Patrick O'Connell.

He managed Barcelona FC throughout the Spanish Civil War in the 1930's when the very existence of the club was under threat due to Franco's fascist, nationalist rule. Long story short, if it wasn't for him at the helm of the club, there would be no Barcelona football club today. He pretty much single handedly kept the club alive during the civil war and contributed to the Catalan's republican cause. He is one of the biggest profiles in Barcelona's history yet not many have heard of him.

Coincidentally, there's a programme about him on TG4 tomorrow at 9.30 which should be an interesting watch going by anything I've read about him. Quite the ledge by all accounts!

Edit: Turns out he was also the first ever Irish captain of Manchester United which isn't too shabby either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

Single mothers who fight cancer and live to raise their young kids are heroes, not adventure sport Hooray Henry's with too much 'leisure time' and money on their hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Funglegunk wrote: »
    Diageo aren't Italian, they're British. Their name was invented by a marketing company, which is even more depressing.

And that's about all their good at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

An unsung heroine who isn't Irish is Mary Seacole. Florence Nightingale turned her down when she applied for a position as a nurse with her because she was black.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭Madam Marie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Roger Casement

I didn't really know much about him until recently. He helped put a stop to human rights abuses in the Congo and Peru and was knighted by the British for doing so.
    He was execution in August 1916 for treason by the British for trying to obtain German support for a rebellion in Ireland against British rule.

Due to a set of diaries, claimed to have been written by Casement and covering the years 1903, 1910 and 1911. If accepted as genuine, the diaries would portray Casement as a promiscuous homosexual sex tourist with a fondness for young men. This has resulted in Casement not being as well known as perhaps he should be today. At a time of strong social conservatism, not least among Irish Catholics, the Black Diaries undermined or at least suppressed support for Casement due to his homosexuality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

Alex the hurricane higgins,need I say any more take a bow.

R.I.P sandy :-))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Neeson:

And off I go to clear my Youtube history...

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

Ladies % Gentleman here's a man i toured with many, many times many times times many...

may i present to you:

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DonLimon

+ 1 for Rodger Casement, the Black Diaries makes for some shocking reading though.

Private James Daly, leader of the Connaught Rangers mutiny in Northern India 1920. Irishmen serving there heard about the heard about the war and atrocities there and downed arms.He was executed for his part, many others were kept in prison till the forties if I'm not mistaken. Interesting piece of history and pretty much unheard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DonLimon

+ 1 for Rodger Casement, the Black Diaries makes for some shocking reading though.

Private James Daly, leader of the Connaught Rangers mutiny in Northern India 1920. Irishmen serving there heard about the heard about the war and atrocities occurring back home and downed arms.He was executed for his part, many others were kept in prison till the forties if I'm not mistaken. Interesting piece of history and pretty much unheard of.

Advertisement