Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bernese mountain dog best companion

• 02-10-2012 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi,
    Just considering getting a companion for our puppy, who's a bernese mountain dog. I love sheep dogs but we don't own a farm though we have a nice garden, I am wondering which type will fit in well. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Jose

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Are you prepared for the huge amount of exercise and stimulation that a collie needs? Its not like a Bernese at all. People really underestimate the amount of exercise sheep dogs need as they are a working dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Jose, I love collies, but as active as I am I still think (and I work from home) I wouldn't be able to give them enough attention.
    My father used to breed working collies years ago, and oh my god they are engines with legs. Literally his own dogs would be on the go 10/11 hours a day, between taking cattle up and down for milking and chasing after the tractor where ever he was going. And even at night time they would have one ear half cocked in case he moved in his chair.
    Remarkable dogs, intelligent, loyal, biddable, but they need something to do in my view, a job or to be involved in agility or with a person who is also on the go all day. Left on their own for long ( god, even short) periods they get really destructive and bored. My father's dog injured himself once and my father insisted he remain at the house while he went off to the work, the dog nearly chewed through the back door to get out and join him. Never seen anything like it.
    I'm not trying to put you off or anything, but collies always seem to end up in pounds and it's such a shame, but I don't think people really take on board just how active they are before they get them. If this sounds like a dog that would suit your needs, grand, but do give it good consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭josvill2010

Definitely Collies are out of the equation then, very intelligent dogs but I need to 'balance the equation'. I need something similar to our Bernese, so I don't have two dogs with completely different needs. Maybe something really small but intelligent at the same time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

I got a Pug around a month ago. Shes so intelligent and loves going for walks etc but sleeps once the light is turned off at night. I'd recommend them to anyone, great with kids and other dogs:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Perhaps if you let us know the exercise routine of your current dog then we'll be better able to suggest a dog that will fit in.

I'd be inclined to suggest a Greyhound though, I think they'd fit in together well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Papillon! wrote: »
    I got a Pug around a month ago. Shes so intelligent and loves going for walks etc but sleeps once the light is turned off at night. I'd recommend them to anyone, great with kids and other dogs:)
    They are lovely little dogs, but they can be murdered with health problems.

OP, are you set on getting a full breed? If you get on to some rescues they should be able to match you with something that would suit your needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I have a collie and had a border collie before her too. We dont live on a farm and I actually dont agree that they MUST have the vast amounts of exercise as mentioned above.

They need a good, decent amount of exercise yes, off lead runs (preferably) etc... but they also need LOTS of mental stimulation, and if they get this mental stimulation, full-on inclusion in family life, activities, games, trips etc.. (they also love you to talk to them lots!), they make an absolutely beautiful, loyal, well balanced and hilariously funny pet. Its boredom that destroys a collie. Our collie also has our 2 other dogs to play with and cats to herd up (which she does very well!)

So you need to integrate a collie well and give her lots of attention (they are demanding, can become neurotic and need to be understood - lots of good research reading required!), good decent walks/runs (no need for 10 hours a day though!!) - having another dog is great company/stimulation also, you are in for hard work but they really are the most beautiful, sweet loving and funny dogs ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Toulouse wrote: »
    Perhaps if you let us know the exercise routine of your current dog then we'll be better able to suggest a dog that will fit in.

I'd be inclined to suggest a Greyhound though, I think they'd fit in together well.

I was going to suggest a greyhound as well!

Advertisement