Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor tax disc hasn't arrived - Going to Belfast tomorrow

Options
  • 02-10-2012 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

My motor tax disc still hasn't arrived in the post having paid for online it early last week. I need to drive to the north tomorrow for work. Anyone know the penalties (if any) if pulled over up there?

The current disc expired yesterday. I understand by driving today I could get a fine of €60 for failure to display. Am I going to have the car taken off me if pulled over in the north or do they even care?

Fingers crossed it arrived in the post today anyway.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Tax in post on the screen :) I've been waiting to say that for a while :D

Seriously, they'll ring back and find details on the southern system if they pull you over (happened to me) explain whats happened and I'm sure there will be no more hassle

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

you will be grand. Bring a print out of your order just in case.
    I drove to belfast and back last week in a car that the tax was up in 07/12.

Same as you, i had applied but wasnt received by the time i was going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Grand. Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭w124man

dmigsy wrote: »
    My motor tax disc still hasn't arrived in the post having paid for online it early last week. I need to drive to the north tomorrow for work. Anyone know the penalties (if any) if pulled over up there?

The current disc expired yesterday. I understand by driving today I could get a fine of €60 for failure to display. Am I going to have the car taken off me if pulled over in the north or do they even care?

Fingers crossed it arrived in the post today anyway.

Thanks

You worry too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

I just carry the recipt showing that I already paid for it.

The few times I have been stopped,,I just show it to them,,and there's never been a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Youssef Chippo

kceire wrote: »
    you will be grand. Bring a print out of your order just in case.
    I drove to belfast and back last week in a car that the tax was up in 07/12.

Same as you, i had applied but wasnt received by the time i was going.

You applied for a tax disc and 3 months later you still haven't got it?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

AFAIK motor tax from ROI should not be of any interest of foreign authorities.

Irish regulations only require you to display valid motortax when using your car on public roads in ROI.

I'm not saying that NI Police never fined Irish driver for no tax, because we all heard the stories they did.
    I'm saying that legally they are not allowed to fine you for that, as there isn't any law which would require you to have valid tax while driving abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This thread caught my eye as normally I would receive my new disc about 3 days after paying for it online.

This time I still haven't got it about 10 days after paying. It actually went out of my head until this thread. Anyone know if there are delays at the motor tax dept?

Might call them tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Paid for mine last week, it either arrived friday or yesterday. Don't think there's any delays.

It says to call them if after 4-5 days you still haven't got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

CiniO wrote: »
    AFAIK motor tax from ROI should not be of any interest of foreign authorities.

Irish regulations only require you to display valid motortax when using your car on public roads in ROI.

I'm not saying that NI Police never fined Irish driver for no tax, because we all heard the stories they did.
    I'm saying that legally they are not allowed to fine you for that, as there isn't any law which would require you to have valid tax while driving abroad.
    Can you reference any laws that prevents them from legally fining you? The logic of UK police is that if your car wouldn't be considered legal in its home country, then it's not legal for UK roads. RoI cars are supposed to have valid tax/NCT to be on the road, but not having them isn't seen as big a deal here as it is in the UK if they're just out. OP shouldn't have a problem, but the logic of the police is understandable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

guttenberg wrote: »
    Can you reference any laws that prevents them from legally fining you?
    That's opposite.
    If you are doing something, there's no need for law preventing authorities from penalising you.

People can be penalised only for breaking the law.
    In that case, it would be rather relevant to find a law in UK, which would require foreign cars to be taxed in home country.
    I spend quite a lot of time looking for it, but couldn't find anything.
    I mentioned it on this forum few times, and no one ever was able to find any UK law like that.

The logic of UK police is that if your car wouldn't be considered legal in its home country, then it's not legal for UK roads.
    And indeed that logic makes sense.
    But police can't operate and fine someone by logic. They have to operate within the law.
    RoI cars are supposed to have valid tax/NCT to be on the road,
    But it clearly says, that tax is required only when vehicle is being used on public roads in Ireland. No Irish law requires valid tax on vehicle which is being used abroad. However that's not really relevant here, as vehicles used abroad must fulfill requirement set by foreign country in which they are used.
    but not having them isn't seen as big a deal here as it is in the UK if they're just out. OP shouldn't have a problem, but the logic of the police is understandable.

And because of that logic, there are probably cases where ROI car driver is fined for no ROI tax in the north or UK.
    But if driver wouldn't agree to accept a fine and went to court, I strongy doubt the court would be able to sentence someone for that.

Advertisement