Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UCL Match thread: CFR Cluj v Manchester United (Kick-off 7.45pm)

• 02-10-2012 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭

uefa_champions_league_logo.gif

October 2, 2012 19:45

Stadionul Dr. Constantin Rădulescu — Cluj-Napoca
    Referee:‬ Alberto Undiano Mallenco‎

9976A4AA3C6A4844B72C14A4D64AD354.ashx?h=179&la=ar-SA&w=240&rgn=29,0,467,326
    ITV: Live coverage of Cluj v Manchester United in the UEFA Champions League on Tuesday 2nd October at 7.30pm

TV3: CFR Cluj v Manchester United (Kick-off 7.45pm). Tommy Martin presents With commentary by Trevor Welch and Mark Lawrenson, and analysis by Mick McCarthy and Brian Kerr. Plus, highlights of Spartak Moscow v Celtic in Group G and Nordsjaelland v Chelsea in Group E.

Possible United lineup

CFR-Cluj-v-Manchester-United.jpg

Manchester United Statistics:
    Based on Barclays Premier League 2012/13
    • Played 6 matches, won 4, drawn 0, lost 2 and currently have 12 points
    • Scored 14 goals and conceded 9 goals
    • Longest unbeaten streak is 4 matches so far
    CFR Cluj Statistics:
    Based on Liga I Bergenbier 2012/13
    • Played 10 matches, won 4, drawn 4, lost 2 and currently have 16 points
    • Scored 21 goals and conceded 14 goals
    • Longest unbeaten streak is 4 matches

MATCH ODDS
    Cluj 9/2, Manchester United 4/6, Draw 5/2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

Great to see Tuesday matches are now on ITV so we can have both nights in HD (Free to Air) and no Trevor Welsh :D

Il go 2-0 United - Brace of Goals from Rooney, I don't think it will be very easy though especially the way united are playing lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Dont think this will be easy but the Romanians strength in Midfield is not great imo. Alberto and Godemeche are for me not great CM partnership even for United. They tend to play 4-4-1-1 and look to counter attack down the wings quite lot.

But, even with United injuries they still should be too strong. 2-0/3-1 to United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

Is the match on Rte or TV3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Irish94 wrote: »
    Is the match on Rte or TV3?
    TV3, ITV if you want to hear reasonably better commentary and analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭DenMan

Have a feeling Man Utd are going to bore me to tears tonight. I hope they play some good attacking exciting football!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

The Carling Cup game against Newcastle was the best football I have seen us play so far this season, good tempo and movement from the players. I'm hoping for more of the same tonight if Clev, Ando and Buttners play and for Fergie to consequently have more faith in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

cambo2008 wrote: »
    TV3

oh great, another night of listening to that gimp and his "what an oppurtunity" line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I'd be fairly surprised if United lined like that, think Fergie will play very close to a full strength side and try to make sure he wins after what happened last season.

de Gea
    Rafael
    Ferdinand
    Evans
    Evra
    Nani
    Cleverley
    Anderson---Kagawa
    Rooney

van Persie

Possibly Welbeck for Kagawa or maybe even Buttner on the left but other than that I expect the above to line up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Why do TV3 and RTE keep showing these boring games like Man Utd v Galatasary last week and Man Utd v Cluj this week. In all liklihood Man Utd will eek out a narrow win, does anyone really care or expect an entertaining game?

Juve/Shaktar, Valencia/Lille, Barca/Benfica, Spartak/Celtic, BATE/Bayern are all more interesting games that I'd rather see. Bored to the teeth of watching EPL kick and chase sides. Will have to stream again, much rather watch it on tv in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Downlinz wrote: »
    Why do TV3 and RTE keep showing these boring games like Man Utd v Galatasary last week and Man Utd v Cluj this week. In all liklihood Man Utd will eek out a narrow win, does anyone really care or expect an entertaining game?

Juve/Shaktar, Valencia/Lille, Barca/Benfica, Spartak/Celtic, BATE/Bayern are all more interesting games that I'd rather see. Bored to the teeth of watching EPL kick and chase sides.

Just a guess...United would draw more viewers, so more money in advertising for the station?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Juve/Shaktar, Valencia/Lille, Barca/Benfica, Spartak/Celtic, BATE/Bayern are all more interesting games that I'd rather see. Bored to the teeth of watching EPL kick and chase sides. Will have to stream again, much rather watch it on tv in HD.

Ratings

why cant people get that through their heads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Why do soccer forum members keep posting these boring arguments that have been done to death? In all liklihood a poster will point out the obvious, that it's about about viewer figures, does anyone really care or expect an interesting discussion?

Rooney/Van Persie, Cleverley/Ando, United/Cluj are all more interesting discussions that I'd rather see. Bored to the teeth of seeing posters rehash arguments that have been done over and over. Will have to dismiss quickly, rather than let it develop

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

DenMan wrote: »
    Have a feeling Man Utd are going to bore me to tears tonight. I hope they play some good attacking exciting football!

It will be the usual away CL Utd performance ,about as exciting as watching paint dry.
    I miss the days when watching Utd in Europe was exciting .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Carrick, Scholes and Giggs haven't travelled so I would guess that the performance will be much more fluid and energetic. It looks like there could actually be some entertaining football again tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Ratings

Surely Barca are a bigger ratings draw than Man united these days?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yep, in Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Ratings

How many Barca fans do you know??

I think what might skew our thinking of it is that we are an active part of a footie forum. The neutrals among us are far more likely to watch a 'better' match than the average Joe who would rather sit and watch United so they can join in the conversation at work the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

when 1 out of every 10 people in the world support them maybe :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

United - De Gea - Rafael Ferdinand Evans Evra - Anderson Fletcher Cleverley - Rooney - Hernandez v Persie

• Advertisement

Blatter wrote: »
    United - De Gea - Rafael Ferdinand Evans Evra - Anderson Fletcher Cleverley - Rooney - Hernandez v Persie
    Me likey very much.

Me likey very much.

Only thing that concerns me is lack of width

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Blatter wrote: »

That appears very narrow but I do believe we need to stray away from being so open through the middle and move away from keeping two guys on the wings in order to compensate for our lack of ability in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Goals Goals and more goals to be expected

Also first time Van Persie and Rooney start together

Subs : Lindegaard Buttner, Powell, Kagawa, wootoon, nani, welbeck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Sexy line up to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Goals Goals and more goals to be expected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

backed United at 8/11.

confident.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Rooney, Van Persie and Hernandez start.

That would frighten you if you were a defender for Cluj.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

That team should be well capable of keeping possession if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

I don't think those three in the middle are world beaters by any stretch of the imagination. But I am very hopeful (desperate) that they can work well together. Far more balanced then the midfield on Saturday.

I think it might be Rooney on one wing and Cleverley on the other with Chico and RVP up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Pro. F wrote: »
    I think it might be Rooney on one wing and Cleverley on the other with Chico and RVP up front.

Hope not. Ferguson tends to prefer 4-3-3 in Europe and has had success with it. Rooney and Cleverly are not nearly as good on the wing as in the centre.

Great to see Fletcher back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Me likey very much.

Only thing that concerns me is lack of width
    Story of your life. Ba dum dum dish!!!

• Advertisement

Evra and Rafael will be bombing forward providing the width.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Wish Buttner started though! I like that team otherwise.

Prediction 4-0 united win, Chico to get 2, Anderson and RVP one each

€5 on that returns just over €20500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Brilliant to see Fletcher back starting a game.

I was going to do some college work tonight but I think I'll have to sit down and watch the first bit of this match at least. RVP and Rooney starting is very interesting as well.

Very strong team from United, I think this team should have took the field against Spurs.

• Advertisement

I was going to do some college work tonight but I think I'll have to sit down and watch the first bit of this match at least.

Dude - the fúck?

killwill wrote: »
    Story of your life. Ba dum dum dish!!!

Insert joke about penetrating cluj/clunge through the middle/deep in the box etc etc!

How many world class saves will De Gea make tonight?

ambid wrote: »
    Hope not. Ferguson tends to prefer 4-3-3 in Europe and has had success with it. Rooney and Cleverly are not nearly as good on the wing as in the centre.

I agree that Rooney and Cleverley are better central, I was just trying to predict what I think Fergie will do.

I think Fergie in the interview just there said that Rooney will play through the middle. Did anyone else hear that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

backed United at 8/11.

confident.

Great price

I think Fergie in the interview just there said that Rooney will play through the middle. Did anyone else hear that?

Ya, that's what Alex said.

'Aye, Rooney'd be 'hind Van Pursi and Cheeechareeto...'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Dude - the fúck?

I genuinely thought the match was on tomorrow night for some reason, until I read this thread.

Also, I'm heading out into a school to teach for 9 weeks on the 15th of October. I won't be home till 6/7 every day and then I've to write up reports, correct work and do lesson plans for the next day. Unfortunately, United matches might have to take a back seat for that period :(. I have the time now but I'm dreading the next 2 and a half months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I like the all white kit.

J. Marston wrote: »
    I like the all white kit.
    Yes, it is sexy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement