Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Servicing

• 02-10-2012 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

Hi all I have my first bike a few months now and I now want to give it a good service too know everything is OK with it and so it is all set up for the winter.

I am pretty sure I also need a full set of pads I would also like to change all the fluids etc just for peace of mind that they are done. I have been considering also getting a set of braided lines thrown on also.

I was thinking of booking it in somewhere to get all the work done.

So my question is do you think that I should be able to do this work myself? I am handy enough with cars put still getting to grips with the bike. Maybe someone more experienced than myself might help me out :D:D I have the Haynes manual also to go by I just dont want to do something wrong and not realise.

Also if I do it myself can anyone recommend somewhere to get the parts needed.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I am sure both myself and lookbehindyou will be able to help you out with the service. Fitting the braided lines might be a little different but if Mick can do it he will.

You can check to see if you need pads by looking at them and see if there is much left on them. But as you said for peace of mind you might aswell change them. Give RPM a shout and they price all the gear....if you know what you need (via the haynes manual) I can get the parts in Crossans on Friday for you.

Air Filter
    Oil Filter
    Oil
    EBC HH brake pads front
    EBC standard brake Pads Back
    4 spark plugs
    Copper grease
    Dot 4 Brake Fluid

And you good to go, get the lines fitted then when it suits you. You dont have to get HEL lines Venhills do a very good set and not as dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

If you can change plugs and pad and the oil on your car then you can do it on your bike. The procedure is the same except for removing the the plastics and tank, and that's where your haynes takes care of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

leppla wrote: »
    Hi all I have my first bike a few months now and I now want to give it a good service too know everything is OK with it and so it is all set up for the winter.

I am pretty sure I also need a full set of pads I would also like to change all the fluids etc just for peace of mind that they are done. I have been considering also getting a set of braided lines thrown on also.

I was thinking of booking it in somewhere to get all the work done.

So my question is do you think that I should be able to do this work myself? I am handy enough with cars put still getting to grips with the bike. Maybe someone more experienced than myself might help me out :D:D I have the Haynes manual also to go by I just dont want to do something wrong and not realise.

Also if I do it myself can anyone recommend somewhere to get the parts needed.

Thanks

You are right in your thinking, its a good time to do it coming into winter.
    Try find an indie mechanic u can build trust with, get a few recommendations.
    Stay away from bikeworld, a lot of newbies go there, they are a rip off and from personal experience, an absolute disgrace to deal with.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I am sure both myself and lookbehindyou will be able to help you out with the service. Fitting the braided lines might be a little different but if Mick can do it he will.

You can check to see if you need pads by looking at them and see if there is much left on them. But as you said for peace of mind you might aswell change them. Give RPM a shout and they price all the gear....if you know what you need (via the haynes manual) I can get the parts in Crossans on Friday for you.

Air Filter
    Oil Filter
    Oil
    EBC HH brake pads front
    EBC standard brake Pads Back
    4 spark plugs
    Copper grease
    Dot 4 Brake Fluid

And you good to go, get the lines fitted then when it suits you. You dont have to get HEL lines Venhills do a very good set and not as dear.

Grand I will have a look at the haynes manual later and get the part numbers together and give u a shout with them.

Then we can have plenty on tae while we service my bike :) Be good to do it with you guys so I will know for future reference.

If you can change plugs and pad and the oil on your car then you can do it on your bike. The procedure is the same except for removing the the plastics and tank, and that's where your haynes takes care of you.

I know I can do it its just does fragile plastics etc. would hate to mark or make a bollocks of then just cos I was trying to save a few quid:mad: I dont like putting marks on my bike ( or dirt for that matter :pac::pac::pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I have to service my own bike. My pads and chain/sprocket are fine but I must change fluids. My back brake fluid is def low. I mentioned to some of the lads on the last spin that I cant seem to find a Haynes manual for my 94 cb400 sf. Does anybody know if the cb500 or bros is very similar to the cb400 as regards servicing & diy:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

I have to service my own bike. My pads and chain/sprocket are fine but I must change fluids. My back brake fluid is def low. I mentioned to some of the lads on the last spin that I cant seem to find a Haynes manual for my 94 cb400 sf. Does anybody know if the cb500 or bros is very similar to the cb400 as regards servicing & diy:confused:

No they are no good for your bike, both being twins. Go onto bikechatforums and download a manual they've got the lot. Free.

I am sure we can fit the 2 bikes in together if you bribe me with a DOUBLE MEATBALL subway.....better give Mick the heads up LMFAO.

No they are no good for your bike, both being twins. Go onto bikechatforums and download a manual they've got the lot. Free.

Thanks. Had a quick look but they dont seem to have one.

You wont need the haynes manual for a basic service Joe, So go online and google what you need and get that gear.

• Advertisement

You wont need the haynes manual for a basic service Joe, So go online and google what you need and get that gear.

True enough. Ill source what type oil and fluids i need:)

The oil will be fairly straight forward, but only you will know what other fluids need replacing. Check the brake fluid also, should be changed every 2 years I was told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

I am sure we can fit the 2 bikes in together if you bribe me with a DOUBLE MEATBALL subway.....better give Mick the heads up LMFAO.

Count me in to give a hand too, when are you guys planning on doing this and where - better get an early start so we can go for a spin too :D

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    Count me in to give a hand too, when are you guys planning on doing this and where - better get an early start so we can go for a spin too :D

Maybe I should start private mailing ya about this Wonda-boy or soon we will have 50 bikes heading down to micks to be serviced and him knowing nothing about it yet lol.

Na blu3 is giving us a hand and a chin wag....he dont wanna service his own bike. He can do that himself, anyway Mick will only accomadate lads he knows ffs. It aint a FAS course he is running down there..............

I will mail Dr Pepper about this and he will tell me when it suits HIM not us.....I let you know mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Na blu3 is giving us a hand and a chin wag....he dont wanna service his own bike. He can do that himself, anyway Mick will only accomadate lads he knows ffs. It aint a FAS course he is running down there..............

I will mail Dr Pepper about this and he will tell me when it suits HIM not us.....I let you know mate.

Mine is all done, the only thing that was left was the spark plugs which I did the other weekend, was damn hard to get at. In the end I took the radiator off. Had a bit of a bother initially, one of the caps wasn't seated right :o, she is purring like a cat now. Going to slap on HEL lines on her at the end of the month!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Gary asked me about getting the bikes done.
    No prob to get the bikes done on a day we meet up for a spin. Let Wonderburger or myself know what service items you need and we will get them on friday when we go to Crossons.
    I have the tools and the stands.

No prob to get the bikes done on a day we meet up for a spin. Let Wonderburger or myself know what service items you need and we will get them on friday when we go to Crossons.

You lads work away and get it done when yiz can. Not sure when my next spin will be.

Can you not just nip out on Sunday for the service and then back home Joe, tell the "QUEEN BEE" the bike is acting up and you only be about 2 hrs.

Thanks Lookbehindyou, I will try and get all the part numbers together today. I want to change all the fluids also as I dont know when they were last done. They dont seem expensive anyways.

• Advertisement

If you have cash on the hip you better off getting them done especially on a bike you just got. At least then you know when everything was done last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Recently went looking for parts to service the Bandit and the cheapest place I got was for Lee's in Cork, check out here for details.

They have free delivery and were cheaper for me than Crossans and EBay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

http://www.wemoto.com/ are very good too, you can input the make and model so no problems about buying the wrong parts!

Simona1986 wrote: »
    http://www.wemoto.com/ are very good too, you can input the make and model so no problems about buying the wrong parts!

Was on that site alright it has a good set up.

Can you not just nip out on Sunday for the service and then back home Joe, tell the "QUEEN BEE" the bike is acting up and you only be about 2 hrs.

Queen bee aint the problem. Im in work on sunday. Ill order parts and see how im fixed.

Advertisement