Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are S.N.As / T.A s common in Irish secondary schools

• 02-10-2012 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi there ,

I am trying to find volunteer work as an S.N.A at the moment . I was thinking that I might prefer to work with teenagers for a change . I have seen only one ad on Education posts.ie for and S.N.A in a secondary school . Would most secondary schools have S.N.As these days or do children with learning disabilities move to special needs schools after 6th class ?Thanks if you can help .

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

There are no ads because there is a cap on the number of SNAs in place.Secondary kids can be quite self-aware and often try to down play the role /existence of the SNA, don't know how they'd take to an extra adult?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dub63

Hi,
    Just going on my experience as a secondary school student there isn't that many S.N.As, they just tend to herd the lesser capable kids into a class of their own. They did that with me and another small group that were hopeless at Maths. The only T.A. they had was for a child who needed help getting around. So, only for physical disabilities, none for mentally impaired students.
    Hope that helps! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Dub63 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just going on my experience as a secondary school student there isn't that many S.N.As, they just tend to herd the lesser capable kids into a class of their own. They did that with me and another small group that were hopeless at Maths. The only T.A. they had was for a child who needed help getting around. So, only for physical disabilities, none for mentally impaired students.

A TA wouldn't be assigned to a child with a disability, that would be the role of an SNA. I don't know of any schools with TAs in Ireland, the only one or two I've ever heard of were in private schools. Teachers Assistants are employed a lot more in the UK. An SNA is a Special Needs Assistant, and is assigned to a school to assist with pupils with specific diagnosed special needs.

SNAs are being cut left right and centre over the last 5 years or so, and it's almost impossible to get SNA cover assigned to a child unless they're severely physically disabled or have proven a serious danger to themselves and others.

One of my friends is a secondary SNA. She said a lot of the pupils wouldn't be aware of her role, and just assume that she's some kind of general assistant. Sometimes the needs of a child mightn't be completely obvious to other pupils or general observers.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dub63

Sorry, SNA that's what I meant. :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Yea I agree with ET. These days the kids are used to seeing SNAs around the place and its not a big deal, for some, but very few, they can feel very aware of having someone help them but in reality they just get on with it, none of the kids really make any issue of it.
    Generally SNAs end up helping a few in a room anyway rather than just one, even kids they are not assigned to but as they are there my experience would be that they would help out anyone that needs it.

Volunteering as an SNA may not be attractive for a princpal as from their point of view if someone comes in for 3 or 4 weeks the kids is only getting used to you then suddenly they are on their own again. Just one point of view. Another might be the more help the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Dub63 wrote: »
    Hi,

Your experience is (thankfully) not reflective of the education system in general and your post is a bit misleading for the OP. Many schools now practice mixed ability grouping at least in the first few years and most students with special needs should be integrated into all classes. Resource classes are supposed to be provided for students who require them. Some schools have a higher proportion of SNAs than others e.g. in my school of 300, there are over 10.

However, with the present cuts, SNAs are being let go left, right and centre while students with serious needs are being forced to share their SNAs with other students (who are often not even in the same class), so the employment prospects aren't good.

OP, to get into SNA work, you would need a qualification in Childcare or Special Needs. The basic requirement would be a FETAC Level 5 qualification in Childcare (now known as Early Childhood Care and Education)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

SNAs are becoming less common in school unfortunately.

I teach in a school with 700 students. About 220 of those are diagnosed with Mild General Learning Disability. We have 3 students in wheelchairs (cerebal palsy), about 200 with dyslexia, 40 with dyspraxia, 150 with ADHD, 30 with Oppositional Defiance Disorder, 12 with Aspergers and 50 with Emotional Behavioural Disorder.

We have 4 SNAs. The 3 students in wheelchairs have full time SNA support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

30 with Oppositional Defiance Disorder.

Sorry OP this is off the topic you asked but...what is oppositional defiance disorder.....(I can guess from the title, I suppose) but I can honestly say its something I have never heard of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

solerina wrote: »
    Sorry OP this is off the topic you asked but...what is oppositional defiance disorder.....(I can guess from the title, I suppose) but I can honestly say its something I have never heard of.

http://www.sess.ie/categories/emotional-disturbance-and/or-behavioural-problems/oppositional-defiant-disorder

Advertisement