Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I’m going back doing my masters

• 02-10-2012 1:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭

It seems all too common nowadays we hear about these superheroes going back or staying in college to do a masters. Masters seems to be the new degree of the modern era and tbh, just like most degrees, they’re not worth a sh!te. For most masters students, and a growing minority of Phd students, this is just an excuse to stay in college and pretend that you’re doing something useful with your life. Instead, you’re just in denial that you’re degree isn’t worth **** and you can’t face up to that fact.

Masters and Phds offer students the opportunity to wallow in their own sense of grandiose and the very fact that they are undertaking one of them is considered an achievement in itself, when in reality it’s not.

I’ve come across three phd students the past year and boy were they stupid. One couldn’t even engage in a proper conversation and had the mentality of a 12 year old. He resembled the main character in The Big Bang Theory and no surprises this was his favourite programme. The other clown, let’s say it in a polite way, had issues with his sexuality. I didn’t once see him engage in any type of study, most of his time being spent drinking or going away for weekend breaks Lol.

Then the last smelly, crusty, hippy douchebag would never leave the house. Fair enough he probably did a bit of study but this didn’t cover up the fact that he was a thirty year old male who couldn’t even clean a dish after himself and had a strange hatred for his own nationality.
    So what do yee make of these types, do they annoy you? Do they need a good kick up the ar.se so that they can go out a find a job and do something useful for a change?

Masters me h.ole

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Paragraphs dude...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Just to clarify, is it the whole masters thing that pisses you off or the fact that the people you know that have done it are lazy/immature and all that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

With all that anger built up, I'm surprised that you're able to leave the house some days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭slum dog

Just to clarify, is it the whole masters thing that pisses you off or the fact that the people you know that have done it are lazy/immature and all that?

the second part mostly

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Started a PhD 2 weeks ago, love it so far.

Haters gonna hate.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

The guy with issues over his sexuality: why is that a problem? What he is, is what he is. Its 2012 dude, time to leave the cave.

Masters and php students on average earn far more than those without. Not a bad thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

slum dog wrote: »
    The other clown, let’s say it in a polite way, had issues with his sexuality.
    Masters me h.ole

Uh huh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nippledragon

Who shat in your handbag slum dog?.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Didn't get the course you wanted eh OP?

Oh and lots of people do a masters to change career/further their employment prospects and aren't going to let bitter, prickish ramblings deter them.

And some people like, you know, value education in and of itself. Opens minds and stuff - you should try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I’ve come across three phd students the past year and boy were they stupid.

You seem to have a lot of anger built up due to meeting three people.

A lot of jobs now specify Masters or higher, so it makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

strange hatred for his own nationality.

Nothing strange about that if he's irish, tbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Started a PhD 2 weeks ago, love it so far.

Haters gonna hate.
    Is it in science, nerd?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

How do inter-personal skills, sexuality and personal hygiene in any way reflect on someone's academic capabilites? Chances are they are doing PhDs in things they're very highly competent at,

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Toshchiy Imperatritsy Vselennoy

I have one. It does not mean I eat babies. I am as human as all of you.

Everyone does a masters it is no biggie. Academics are intelligent in their area. And most are just same as everyone else in all aras.

Somtimes companies ask peole to further their education so if you get a job that company may ask you to do a phd part-time or something.

Actually getting that job might be easier with an M.A in some sectors. It depends on what you want.

OP you can do what you like if you don't want to do a masters don't if you do then go for it.

You may one day be asked to further your education by your employer though it's quite common.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TwoTokeTommy

So which one of these superhero types are you, or have you developed/discovered those powers yet?

Really though, i wish you the best of luck. The masters thesis' in university can be like working on a production line in a factory.. the university wants to keep pumping out stead streams of texts, with the purpose for the student being more to show you are capable research rather than producing anything meaningful or useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

It seems all too common nowadays we hear about these superheroes going back or staying in college to do a masters. Masters seems to be the new degree of the modern era and tbh, just like most degrees, they’re not worth a sh!te. For most masters students, and a growing minority of Phd students, this is just an excuse to stay in college and pretend that you’re doing something useful with your life. Instead, you’re just in denial that you’re degree isn’t worth **** and you can’t face up to that fact.

Masters and Phds offer students the opportunity to wallow in their own sense of grandiose and the very fact that they are undertaking one of them is considered an achievement in itself, when in reality it’s not.

I’ve come across three phd students the past year and boy were they stupid. One couldn’t even engage in a proper conversation and had the mentality of a 12 year old. He resembled the main character in The Big Bang Theory and no surprises this was his favourite programme. The other clown, let’s say it in a polite way, had issues with his sexuality. I didn’t once see him engage in any type of study, most of his time being spent drinking or going away for weekend breaks Lol.

Then the last smelly, crusty, hippy douchebag would never leave the house. Fair enough he probably did a bit of study but this didn’t cover up the fact that he was a thirty year old male who couldn’t even clean a dish after himself and had a strange hatred for his own nationality.
    So what do yee make of these types, do they annoy you? Do they need a good kick up the ar.se so that they can go out a find a job and do something useful for a change?

Masters me h.ole

Look, it's ok.
    Cry it out, champ. Get it all off your chest.
    We won't judge.

Look, it's ok.
    Cry it out, champ. Get it all off your chest.
    We won't judge.

You know where you are right? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

You know where you are right? :p

H..h...how?
    How have you unravelled my intricate web of lies?
    Seconds of planning, wasted...

CURSE YOU!

H..h...how?
    How have you unravelled my intricate web of lies?
    Seconds of planning, wasted...

CURSE YOU!

No curse you I nearly choked on my bread reading that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Masters me h.ole

I don't have a masters, and don't plan on getting one.

But academic 'types' annoy me far less than people who just can't let others live their own lives without raging at them.

Edit: possible explanation for the apparent bitterness.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

Masters me h.ole
    I'm doing a PhD. In my third year of it, in addition to two years of H.DIP and MA study.

Let me tell you that you are talking absolute dogsh!t. A PhD is a very lonely and frustrating undertaking alot of the time. In my experience, it is not particularly conducive to this self-aggrandisement that you are insinuating. Personally, the opposite.

While I am generally glad that I chose to do it and love my topic, I get absolutely zero funding or grant assistance, I have three part time jobs (income of in around 14,000€), I pay around 8,000€ per year in fees and accomodation and I sometimes have to rob food from my parents' house at the weekend. I'm 26 and I see alot of my mates in fulltime employment, heading away for cool holidays, weekend trips away etc. I am a long way off from any of this. Do you think this makes me feel like some kind of lofty academic-type? Me b*llocks it does!

I'm hoping that in time the sacrifice that I have made will be worth it with increased/more rewarding job prospects. No guarantee of that though. As it is I have gained quite a lot since I began the PhD. But for you to suggest that I, or most other people for that matter, do it as some sort of pretentious feather-strutting is simply ignorant and moronic!

Chip on the shoulder sunshine. Life's too short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Lots of stuff you "feel" but nothing actually substantiated. That is a big problem with the level of "debate" on this forum. Major tard magnet. It's like Facebook since Bebo was discontinued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm going back to kill my master so that I can say "the student has now become the master", he'll probably say something like, "who are you get out of my house" and then I'll say "you have no power over me any more old man".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

The other clown, let’s say it in a polite way, had issues with his sexuality
    :rolleyes:

Another one in denial.

Alright OP. Bend over, I'll unzip and set you straight.

Like a roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Masters me h.ole

A masters is a fantastic asset to have. I went the other route and decided to work hard and gain experience. I only ever reached certificate level in my education. I now study at night, looking to obtain a higher degree. Once I have that I intend to go for my masters. Why? Because all those "smelly, crusty, hippy douchebags" you talk about have a distinct advantage when they go for a new job in a new company.

You come across as a very angry and bitter individual, either that or a troll. I don't know what college was like for you but I would not like to go back full time. They would have no money, no stability etc. Just hard exams for years on end. I have a huge amount of respect for those who do a masters or PHD. I cant say I would have the same respect for you, going on your post here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I read the OP, but funnily enough, this is all I could hear...

It seems all too common nowadays we hear about these superheroes going back or staying in college to do a masters.

Wah, wah, wah, wah, wah, wah.

Boo, hoo, hoo, wah, wah, wah, wah

Boo, hoo, hoo, wah, wah, wah, wah

Boo, hoo, hoo, Boo, hoo, hoo,

Il Trap wrote: »
    I'm hoping that in time the sacrifice that I have made will be worth it with increased/more rewarding job prospects. No guarantee of that though. As it is I have gained quite a lot since I began the PhD. But for you to suggest that I, or most other people for that matter, do it as some sort of pretentious feather-strutting is simply ignorant and moronic!

Chip on the shoulder sunshine. Life's too short.

It will. I supported my best mate through his PHD, it took him years. At one point I had a standing order to his account to help him financially.

A few years on and he makes about 40% more than me. He's paid me back with interest and he has a great life.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Is it in science, nerd?
    ... yes :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

engrish? wrote: »
    It will. I supported my best mate through his PHD, it took him years. At one point I had a standing order to his account to help him financially.

A few years on and he makes about 40% more than me. He's paid me back with interest and he has a great life.
    That is a very cool thing to have done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

+1 fairplay dude!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'm going back to kill my master so that I can say "the student has now become the master", he'll probably say something like, "who are you get out of my house" and then I'll say "you have no power over me any more old man".

"who are you get out of my house" :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The Master wrote: »
    "who are you get out of my house" :mad:
    You have no power over me any more old man!!

yes all well and a good that these students have great abilities but is ability really any good in the absense of opportunity?

I’ve come across three phd students the past year and boy were they stupid. One couldn’t even engage in a proper conversation and had the mentality of a 12 year old. He resembled the main character in The Big Bang Theory and no surprises this was his favourite programme. The other clown, let’s say it in a polite way, had issues with his sexuality.

So having "issues with your sexuality" makes you stupid? At least they're not ignorant, like yourself.

• Advertisement

I’ve come across three phd students the past year and boy were they stupid. One couldn’t even engage in a proper conversation and had the mentality of a 12 year old. He resembled the main character in The Big Bang Theory and no surprises this was his favourite programme. The other clown, let’s say it in a polite way, had issues with his sexuality.

So having "issues with your sexuality" makes you stupid? At least they're not ignorant, like yourself.

i would of thought that his genius like disposition could help him appreciate the fact that he is gay. also i would've thought that the absense of ignorance as a good indicator of intelligence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

also i would've thought that the absense of ignorance as a good indicator of intelligence

Oh the sweet and delicious irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

yes all well and a good that these students have great abilities but is ability really any good in the absense of opportunity?

In a word; yes.

I'd explain but I'm one of the lazy PhD students (sometimes dumb, too).

i would of thought that his genius like disposition could help him appreciate the fact that he is gay. also i would've thought that the absense of ignorance as a good indicator of intelligence
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Fair play to anyone doing more study longer than a 3 or 4 year course. I wouldn't have the patience for it myself.

But why companies bull**** people into doing more academia with a degree to their name when they just want to start working must be frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I had a standing order to his account to help him financially.

It appears so, until you realise that he charged him interest...
    He's paid me back with interest.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

I think the more pointless the degree is the greater need to do a masters is in that field.

The other side, I know a lot of people that did imo a perfectly good degree course that then felt the 'need' to go on and do some **** masters course and ended up in a job with nothing to do with that masters or one that they could have got without it. So the course was a complete waste of time for them and money for the college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

CruelCoin wrote: »

Masters and php students on average earn far more than those without. Not a bad thing.

php lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

john47832 wrote: »
    php lol

I derped.....Then herped. Maybe not in that order.

It appears so, until you realise that he charged him interest...

Haha - the "interest" was beer. Lots and lots of pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Educated people will probably do more for the country than uneducated people. There will be a few who can't function in the real world, but we knew that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I've just completed a masters in narcissistic douchebaggeey

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

I doubt the OP has ever pursued a masters, the workload is far more intense than a bachelors degree and it can be a very tough year if full-time. I'd have the utmost respect for anyone who has successfully completed one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

In all fairness op, this thread is retarded and you seem like your bitter about something. Im one of these "superhero's" that youve been talking about and its been anything but easy. I dont get any back to education allowance and because im in 4th year i've little time to work, so that gives me an income of exactly nothing (try living on nothing when your 35). I've had to give up my social life, have to live at home and i've not exactly had any sort of love life over the last few years.

Why do I do it? Because its the only way to get into the field that I want too, and once my study's are done the struggle i've gone to get to this point will be but a memory. I regret nothing and it's the thing i feel proudest of in my life. There is a good chance i'll go on to do a masters as well, i'll have no choice if i want my career to go in the direction that I want. Im looking forward to that as well. Even at the end of my studies i'll probably be earning less that i was before I went back to college, for me it's about putting myself in a position where I can do a job that i will love and that will make me feel like im contributing to society.

(On a lighter note 1000 posts... Wahoo!!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

You need to get your facts straight, OP, before posting bile like this!

firstly, in a lot of professions you get paid better with a masters.
    secondly, if you want to teach and don't have enough points for the hdip, masters allocate more points and are worth doing.
    Third: some professions require more knowledge and experience. And its worth having that extra bit to get the career you want.
    And lastly and more important. If people want to do a masters its their own business and life. grow up and move on!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement