Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I’m going back doing my masters

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

slum dog wrote: »
    Do they need a good kick up the ar.se

No, but a certain former Boardsie would have definitely offered you a kick in the face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

No, but a certain former Boardsie would have definitely offered you a kick in the face.

Ah yes infinite infamy is infinite.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=293557

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I went back and did a masters and never considered myself a "superhero". :confused:
    Seems the OP is pretending to themselves that people who do so have an inflated sense of self worth - in order for the OP to feel better about themselves.

Society benefits from education, end of. Consider societies where there isn't access to it/any value placed on it.

I hate too the mentality that education should only be pursued with a view to getting a job. Not much chance of a job with an arts degree alone, but if that's what you'd like to do, do it. You can always do a more work-focused course after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Madam_X wrote: »
    I hate too the mentality that education should only be pursued with a view to getting a job. Not much chance of a job with an arts degree alone, but if that's what you'd like to do, do it. You can always do a more work-focused course after.

I was going to say that I disagreed here with regard to choosing a course with little/no chance of getting a job with a degree in that subject while being supported by the government in the form of student grants, but I guess some people would study stuff with the aim of getting a job and would have been supported by government grants, but then for whatever reason, they don't bother getting a job in that field.

That's a long sentence! I think that a proper government loan system which gives more money than the grant, but you have to pay it back after being educated would be the way to go imo. It would make people think more carefully as to what they choose to study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Started a PhD 2 weeks ago, love it so far.

Haters gonna hate.

after two weeks yes you will love it, in two years it will be funny to look back on that comment, good luck all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

This thread makes me want to go back doing my masters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Coffeeteasugar

Just finished my masters thesis and it was a gruelling experience. Maybe you should give it a try yourself before you start passing biased opinions on it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Good luck with going back to do your masters OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Good luck on going back to do your masters OP.

He's not doing a Masters. Apparently, he's not pretentious enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I kind of agree with the OP - not with the sweeping generalisations about Masters/PhD students, but that some people are going into masters programmes as there is not much else to do. If you are doing a masters in accounting, computer science, something to do with a job you already have but need to upskill, etc. it makes sense.
    Furthermore, I understand why unemployed people go back - instead of doing nothing you may as well do some more study.

However, masters degrees in certain areas are simply a way of putting off the inevitable - the realisation that your years of college amount to sweet FA. I can always tick the "3rd level qualification" box for generic admin jobs but that is pretty much all. I would appeal to anyone thinking about doing a masters/PhD with no career benefits to seriously rethink their decision.

I speak as someone with an MA in Gender/English and know many with PhDs in English, Philosophy, Film Studies... if you are doing something for the love of it go ahead- if you seriously expect to be employed in that field afterwards you need to be strategic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

superheroes?

hmmm.

superheroes....

I like it.

I'll do it!

kincsem wrote: »
    Educated people will probably do more for the country than uneducated people.
    Hmmm, I dunno.

Bertie was fairly uneducated.

oh, wait...

shizz wrote: »
    He's not doing a Masters. Apparently, he's not pretentious smart enough.
    fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

OP what about people like me who still work full time and do their masters in the evening?

Am I in some type of limbo, not knowing if I should go full hippy by quitting my job and growing a beard or if I should become the second coming of Gordon Gekko?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Sugar Free wrote: »
    if I should become the second coming of Gordon Gekko?

If your gonna go Gordon go Gano!!!

• Advertisement

I'd do a PhD just for that one moment when I'm somewhere, someone shouts, "is there a doctor here?" and I can reply, "kinda".

I'd do a PhD just for that one moment when I'm somewhere, someone shouts, "is there a doctor here?" and I can reply, "kinda".
    one of the funniest moments in Friends was Rachel stating about her ill father ( a medical doctor) that 'it's hard to believe a doctor could get so sick'

and Ross answers 'and yet we do'.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Started a PhD 2 weeks ago, love it so far.

Haters gonna hate.
    BSc is bullshít
    MSc is more shít
    and a PhD is just piled higher and deeper

also
    http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/most_popular.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

I've undertaken a masters, not as an educational aide to fulfilling my career aspirations but rather as a small step onto the rung of the ladder that will eventually lead me to becoming Dr. Lee PhD - inspired wholly by the Beastie Boys classic [6:03]:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

ScumLord wrote: »
    You have no power over me any more old man!!
    Maybe he doesnt, but I do. Get the hell off my lawn too, while you're at it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Masters ftw. I just wish you got master as a prefix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

I'm gonna do a Masters in Superheroology at Gotham City University

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

Sala wrote: »
    I kind of agree with the OP - not with the sweeping generalisations about Masters/PhD students, but that some people are going into masters programmes as there is not much else to do. If you are doing a masters in accounting, computer science, something to do with a job you already have but need to upskill, etc. it makes sense.
    Furthermore, I understand why unemployed people go back - instead of doing nothing you may as well do some more study.

However, masters degrees in certain areas are simply a way of putting off the inevitable - the realisation that your years of college amount to sweet FA. I can always tick the "3rd level qualification" box for generic admin jobs but that is pretty much all. I would appeal to anyone thinking about doing a masters/PhD with no career benefits to seriously rethink their decision.

I speak as someone with an MA in Gender/English and know many with PhDs in English, Philosophy, Film Studies... if you are doing something for the love of it go ahead- if you seriously expect to be employed in that field afterwards you need to be strategic.

My earlier years in college were all about doing the course that got me a good job and hence took me down the accountancy and finance route. When I was given the boot from my well paid box ticking job it was the happiest day of my life. I had a few quid saved and was able to go back and do a masters in a field that genuinely interested me. It was the most rewarding year of my life. It didn't improve my prospects of getting another job but as my parents always told me "education is no weight"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I love education! On the last stretch of my masters now (fingers crossed) and very sad about it! I have so much more to learn!

I'll have to begin work soon to pay off my student debt, but I will do some professional exams, or take some masters courses in the evening of subjects I didn't do.

I just don't know how to be without learning new things all the time. Took a year out after my undergrad and my brain nearly melted till I took some exams and did an online course.

I do love college life, but I'm for sure not doing this out of laziness. It costs a fortune, and its a lot of hard work, much more than my degree!

Education ftw!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

De Hipster wrote: »
    I've undertaken a masters, not as an educational aide to fulfilling my career aspirations but rather as a small step onto the rung of the ladder that will eventually lead me to becoming Dr. Lee PhD
    There might be another way.

FREE Ordination and Honorary Degrees
    'No-Charge, Same-Day "Full-&-Legal"

Our Doctoral "Application" is 20-Pages Long - Not an "Email"

Founded by an Ohio Non-Profit Educational Corporation 501(c)(3) in 34th year
    Now Officially Registered with State of Florida, College #42
    Accredited by International Agency of Independent Accreditation (IAIA)
    Seventy-One Seminary Satellites World-Wide
    Schools Managed by a North Carolina Educational Corporation in 28th year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I
    Everyone does a masters it is no biggie.

Except old people. Old people are horrible. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Did masters, got job, and tonnes more interviews than anyone without a masters. OP is wrong. And probably failed at learning. Likely ugly too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

well you sound lovely OP :confused: People have to understand what they want at the end of it if they take on postgrad study and obviously different types of postgrad study will better you in different ways. Some people do view it as filling the gap between getting a job but it may not put them in any better position for that job, in fact it may hinder their application for the job. There are others who wish to stay in academia, it's not the easy option, it doesn't imply they're lazy or anything else, I think it's quite the opposite, they are creators, inventors, researchers, these people are the root of all development and progression in the world, as opposed to coming out with a degree, going into a routine job, not really learning or expanding. And why would you even mention someone's sexuality in relation to it, wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nippledragon

The op's attitude is exactly what is wrong with Ireland :mad:

Begrudge, moan, hiss, I'm entitled to that, whinge.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

The op's attitude is exactly what is wrong with Ireland :mad:

Begrudge, moan, hiss, I'm entitled to that, whinge.....

Where does the OP say he's entitled to anything? I would have thought a lot of other posters in this thread have shown more of a level of self entitlement..

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

One couldn’t even engage in a proper conversation and had the mentality of a 12 year old. He resembled the main character in The Big Bang Theory and no surprises this was his favourite programme.

We're called engineers. We're socially awkward and we find science jokes hilarious. Leave us to our strange, lonely existance and stop bullying us :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭slum dog

--LOS-- wrote: »
    well you sound lovely OP :confused: People have to understand what they want at the end of it if they take on postgrad study and obviously different types of postgrad study will better you in different ways. Some people do view it as filling the gap between getting a job but it may not put them in any better position for that job, in fact it may hinder their application for the job. There are others who wish to stay in academia, it's not the easy option, it doesn't imply they're lazy or anything else, I think it's quite the opposite, they are creators, inventors, researchers, these people are the root of all development and progression in the world, as opposed to coming out with a degree, going into a routine job, not really learning or expanding. And why would you even mention someone's sexuality in relation to it, wtf?

Are they? And might you be one of these great creators, inventors, researchers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Thinly veiled "I never did my leaving cert" thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

I've been saying it for years; those sexually-confused masters students ruined the country

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 VINCWM

umad bro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

It seems all too common nowadays we hear about these superheroes going back or staying in college to do a masters. Masters seems to be the new degree of the modern era and tbh, just like most degrees, they’re not worth a sh!te. For most masters students, and a growing minority of Phd students, this is just an excuse to stay in college and pretend that you’re doing something useful with your life. Instead, you’re just in denial that you’re degree isn’t worth **** and you can’t face up to that fact.

Masters and Phds offer students the opportunity to wallow in their own sense of grandiose and the very fact that they are undertaking one of them is considered an achievement in itself, when in reality it’s not.

I’ve come across three phd students the past year and boy were they stupid. One couldn’t even engage in a proper conversation and had the mentality of a 12 year old. He resembled the main character in The Big Bang Theory and no surprises this was his favourite programme. The other clown, let’s say it in a polite way, had issues with his sexuality. I didn’t once see him engage in any type of study, most of his time being spent drinking or going away for weekend breaks Lol.

Then the last smelly, crusty, hippy douchebag would never leave the house. Fair enough he probably did a bit of study but this didn’t cover up the fact that he was a thirty year old male who couldn’t even clean a dish after himself and had a strange hatred for his own nationality.
    So what do yee make of these types, do they annoy you? Do they need a good kick up the ar.se so that they can go out a find a job and do something useful for a change?

Masters me h.ole

PhD students work their arses off, as do most Masters students too. A PhD is a job IMO, you definitely work full-time at it.

--LOS-- wrote: »

I really hope you don't actually believe this. There are some creators and some inventors, some businesses stem from colleges, some diseases are cured from college research. But I guarantee you the large majority amount to nothing and end up with a routine job that they will thereafter not learn or expand.

Also, if peope wish to pursue a course for purely intellectual reasons - thats not a course that will benefit their career... whats to stop you going to the library and taking out a book?

Giruilla wrote: »
    whats to stop you going to the library and taking out a book?

If going to the library and taking out a book allowed you to learn as effectively as a university, universities would not exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I love education! On the last stretch of my masters now (fingers crossed) and very sad about it! I have so much more to learn!

I'll have to begin work soon to pay off my student debt, but I will do some professional exams, or take some masters courses in the evening of subjects I didn't do.

I just don't know how to be without learning new things all the time. Took a year out after my undergrad and my brain nearly melted till I took some exams and did an online course.

I do love college life, but I'm for sure not doing this out of laziness. It costs a fortune, and its a lot of hard work, much more than my degree!

Education ftw!

Would you not consider working in your field and trying to learn from there? There's a lot you can learn from hands on work, that you'll never learn in college or university. Companies will also encourage you to learn further and assist you in paying for it also, should you want to sit some more courses.

If going to the library and taking out a book allowed you to learn as effectively as a university, universities would not exist.

You clearly have no understanding of why universities exist today. Where did they come from in the first place? They came about because knowledge wasn't as freely availavle as it is today. People used have no choice but to go to to university to learn!

You clearly have no understanding of why universities exist today. Where did they come from in the first place? They came about because knowledge wasn't as freely availavle as it is today. People used have no choice but to go to to university to learn!

You clearly have never been to university, never tried to learn an entirely new subject from books alone, or both.

If I wanted to learn computer science from scratch tomorrow, what book would I get from the library?

How about psychology?

What books will offer a progression from that one? Which areas should I focus on or cover in my studies? Who will I talk to when I have questions that aren't covered in the book, or when I don't quite understand something? What assignments should I do to apply what I have learned? How will I grade my performance in those assignments?

Most importantly, who will employ me when I supply them a list of books I borrowed from the library?

You clearly have never been to university, never tried to learn an entirely new subject from books alone, or both.

If I wanted to learn computer science from scratch tomorrow, what book would I get from the library?

How about psychology?

What books will offer a progression from that one? Which areas should I focus on or cover in my studies? Who will I talk to when I have questions that aren't covered in the book, or when I don't quite understand something? What assignments should I do to apply what I have learned? How will I grade my performance in those assignments?

Most importantly, who will employ me when I supply them a list of books I borrowed from the library?

possibly a psychologist?

clearly you havent grasped the concept of university.

How about psychology?

I really don't want to sound offensive, but that post makes you sound like a child.
    You really think you need to go to college to learn computer science?
    You would really be incapable of studying up general areas of psychology then choosing an area you like and finding some definitive books on that subject?
    You think being in a psychology class with 50 or more people in it is more effective than studying on your own?
    You can't tell by yourself whether or not you have an understanding of a subject? Psychology is a subjective subject you realise?
    You need people to tell you which areas of study to pursue whether you have an interest in them or not?

possibly a psychologist?

clearly you havent grasped the concept of university.

Have you quoted the wrong post? Because this makes no sense as a response to mine.

• Advertisement

I really don't want to sound offensive, but that post makes you sound like a child.

This line adds nothing to your post or the discussion.

Yes, without a shadow of a doubt.
    You would really be incapable of studying up general areas of psychology then choosing an area you like and finding some definitive books on that subject?

Psychology was a random subject choice, and perhaps a poor one, so for the sake of answering your question I'll replace it with something I have a personal interest, but no formal education in. Physics.

Yes, I would be completely incapable of doing the above.

I read about physics all the time, it fascinates me, and I even did a few physics modules during my electronic engineering degree. But studying it on my own? From layman, to the level of a masters graduate?

There is not a chance that I could do that, and I'm a pretty bright guy. I'm sure there are some extraordinary people who could, but the vast majority of people wouldn't have a hope.

Physics is a vast and complex subject which is almost impenetrable without proper guidance. I would have no idea where to even begin.

Can I ask if you've ever been to college, and if so, what you studied? I find it very hard to believe that if you had, you wouldn't see the value in it. Maybe you're just an exceptionally bright person who can bring himself to expert level in any subject with nothing but a library card, but if so, you're highly unusual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Would you not consider working in your field and trying to learn from there? There's a lot you can learn from hands on work, that you'll never learn in college or university. Companies will also encourage you to learn further and assist you in paying for it also, should you want to sit some more courses.

Education is great but this is very true too. I have learned as much in the work I got with my degree than from the degree itself.

Psychology was a random subject choice, and perhaps a poor one, so for the sake of answering your question I'll replace it with something I have a personal interest, but no formal education in. Physics.

I read about physics all the time, it fascinates me, and I even did a few physics modules during my electronic engineering degree. But studying it on my own? From layman, to the level of a masters graduate?

There is not a chance that I could do that, and I'm a pretty bright guy. I'm sure there are some extraordinary people who could, but the vast majority of people wouldn't have a hope.

Physics is a vast and complex subject which is almost impenetrable without proper guidance. I would have no idea where to even begin.

Can I ask if you've ever been to college, and if so, what you studied? I find it very hard to believe that if you had, you wouldn't see the value in it. Maybe you're just an exceptionally bright person who can bring himself to expert level in any subject with nothing but a library card, but if so, you're highly unusual.

are you saying that learning can only come about through dependency therefore one must be dependant in order to learn?

are you saying that learning can only come about through dependency therefore one must be dependant in order to learn?

No.

What can you learn in college about computer science that isn't written in countless of books on the subject?

Ok take physics.. how is it impenetrable? How about start with the Feynman lectures on Physics as a general introduction to the whole of theoretical physics and then use other books as supplements for areas you don't understand? Branch off from there to an area that interests you.
    Name a single thing in physics that has been discovered that you can't learn on your own?

• Advertisement
Advertisement