Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I’m going back doing my masters

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

Giruilla wrote: »
    How about start with the Feynman lectures on Physics as a general introduction to the whole of theoretical physics...

Is that Richard Feynman the college professor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

stmol32 wrote: »
    Is that Richard Feynman the college professor?

You don't actually think you are making a good point with that quip do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Would you not consider working in your field and trying to learn from there? There's a lot you can learn from hands on work, that you'll never learn in college or university. Companies will also encourage you to learn further and assist you in paying for it also, should you want to sit some more courses.

Wasn't an option for me before doing my masters but I do plan on doing it in the future. Maybe someday I will return to full time education, just not an option for me now :)

On job learning totally depends on what field you are in too and in my case I need the academic knowledge as a base point before I will get hired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Books...who needs real books, I have the internet!

I'm chucking in my MSc mid-thesis and opening an engineering, psychology, IT, space exploration foundation clinic thingy...that I've read some sh!t about.

Education is clearly for idiots!:rolleyes:

De Hipster wrote: »
    Books...who needs real books, I have the internet!

I'm chucking in my MSc mid-thesis and opening an engineering, psychology, IT, space exploration foundation clinic thingy...that I've read some sh!t about.

Education is clearly for idiots!:rolleyes:

Judging by how wide of the mark you have missed the point being made.. you probably should!

Judging by how wide of the mark you have missed the point being made.. you probably should!

You seem to be extremely defensive with regard to this thread and the idea that if someone options to return to further education in order to self-fulfill, improve employment prospects or merely just to waffle at dinner parties - so what?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

If someone wants to learn and understand something without applying it towards his/her career, then yeah learning about it through books without putting a time limit on yourself is the way to go. However, if they want it to go toward their career, well then college or University based education is the only way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

Sounds like the OP is peed off that doing a Masters isn't all sitting around in a tweed jacket with elbow patches, swirling cognac in a glass and discussing the the uncouthness of the common man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

I've just got 1 month left of a 4 year PhD before I hand it in. There are definitely pros and cons to doing this course but you pick up an invaluable skill set along the way-one of which is being able to work out problems for yourself on your own and not having to rush to someone else to ask a question at the drop of a hat. Yes, there are lots of things I've done in my research that i will quite likely not use again but that's what research is-more about increasing knowledge and feeding curiosity than specifically setting you up for a job in the real world! That being said, you also pick up skills and knowledge along the way that you will use in a job.

However, with regards to masters courses-while there are some very good masters courses out there, I think that there are also quite a few courses that are pretty much money making schemes for the department in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

... yes :p
    That's nice. I hope you enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Sounds like the OP is peed off that doing a Masters isn't all sitting around in a tweed jacket with elbow patches, swirling cognac in a glass and discussing the the uncouthness of the common man.

When did this change? I really miss those discussions:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Where does the OP say he's entitled to anything? I would have thought a lot of other posters in this thread have shown more of a level of self entitlement..
    Such as?
    Also, if peope wish to pursue a course for purely intellectual reasons - thats not a course that will benefit their career... whats to stop you going to the library and taking out a book?
    Because people enjoy the college experience.

People who bitch about college are funny - especially ones who went to college (hypocrites) or ones who couldn't get the points.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

thunderdog wrote: »
    I've just got 1 month left of a 4 year PhD before I hand it in.
    Quit dossing and get back to it

those papers won't reference themselves

Quit dossing and get back to it

those papers won't reference themselves

Ah they might ...End note.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

De Hipster wrote: »
    Ah they might ...End note.
    mendeley :p

but you still have to insert the refs

and make sure some bastard hasn't released a free android app that does what your custom built multi laser 3D biometric scanner does, on the fly and with much better recognition , :mad: bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

I've got a PhD...if ya know what I mean

Oh ya

Willie mór. Swinging dicks yo.

fwiw, I also have a plain oul BSc. Keepin it real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

It is a complete necessity for me to do a masters in the area I am qualified in. To progress to clinical psychology (as in a clinical psychology doctorate), you need experience. Many places don't offer internships to those who don't have masters (even voluntary internships which is silly)!

Madam_X wrote: »
    Such as?

Because people enjoy the college experience.

People who bitch about college are funny - especially ones who went to college (hypocrites) or ones who couldn't get the points.

You don't understand the meaning of hypocrite.

I am completely of the opinion that going to college is essential to opening and progressing a career path.

The only point that I was trying to make was that going to college is not essential to attaining a high understanding of any subject. In fact it can be detrimental when compared with the time you could spend studying that subject by yourself.
    Maximus Alexander was trying to say college is essential to learning a given subject yet he has completely failed to back that point up.

Returning to college because you 'enjoy the college experience' is fine... but that statement clearly demonstates the illusion that people who go to or stay in college are somehow the intellectuals of our society along with being essential to that society, which in a way I think the OP was originally trying to make.

Advertisement