Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP with training problem please!

• 02-10-2012 2:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭

I have a 9 month old Hungarian Vizsla bitch. She is EXTREMELY affectionate, and as its in her breed, demands more than the usual attention (they dont call them velcro dogs for nothing) and still at bouncy puppy stage but she leaps enthuasiastically on anyone who comes near - and just has to get as near your face as she can to lick and sniff.
    YES, normal doggy stuff I know, but we are having a bit of a problem controlling it - its not good if we are out a she's off leash, or on it for that matter, or if anyone comes into the house they get the same treatment.
    If we turn our back on her, she carries on leaping on us from behind.
    If we ignore her, she'll still do it.
    If we put out a hand and say DOWN or NO, that makes no difference.
    Ive googled this, and there are a lot of conflicting methods to stop it.
    So I posted here in the hope that someone here has had same problem and managed to sort it.
    PS- she was spayed over a month ago - not that i think it makes a difference.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Have you tried putting her out of the room? Keep a short lead on her and when she jumps up put her out of the room on her own for a couple of minutes. Eventually she'll learn that jumping up gets her the exact opposite of what she wants, and that sitting nicely makes people pay attention to her.

Be prepared for this to take days or weeks to learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Its not just one room tho, its everywhere, even in the car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

The idea of putting her out of the room is that it's a "time out" type thing. It's not about taking her from the room she's misbehaving in, it's about totally removing your attention when she misbehaves.

If she's not under control when off lead you could find yourself in a world or worry, if she ran away, or trouble, if she jumps on the wrong person, so I'd suggest getting a recall line, just until you have it sorted.

I agree with what Kylith said, when she jumps you have to give her the opposite to what she wants. So if she wants attention, then you remove her from attention (putting her out of room). You will need to be consistent, and I think this is where most people fall down. It's definitely my main problem when it comes to training. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

+1 on putting her out and you need to make sure everyone in the house is on board and correcting the same way. Don't give any extra attention or react because you'll just encouage her. I had awful problems with one family member refusing to get up and fold their arms when my guy was very young and being trained out of this and it kept setting us back which was very frustrating because it just encouraged him - he had stopped doing it to everyone except this one gombeen because they wouldn't follow our simple instructions - 'he's trying to be dominant' etc :rolleyes:
    Also you can start to introduce a bold word/phrase when you put her out and she'll soon learn that that means game over which will come in handy for putting a stop to other puppy hijinx! :)

Advertisement