Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Lawn , time to sow

Options
  • 02-10-2012 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

HI,

I am just wondering if it is ok to sow a new lawn this time of year.

Back garden was overgrown with nettles and other weed, i cut them down and got the whole garden sprayed with weed killer about 4 weeks ago and now they are all dead along with any small patches of grass that was there

I plan to rotavated and sow grass seed, is this time of year ok or am i wasting my time, should i wait tll some other time of year

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I would'nt leave it too much longer to sow grass as it's getting a bit cold for seed to sprout.
    I'm not a big fan of rotavating as it chops up any remaining roots turning one weed into many, I suggest digging it by hand to get rid of roots and sods.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭bambam26

aujopimur wrote: »
    I would'nt leave it too much longer to sow grass as it's getting a bit cold for seed to sprout.
    I'm not a big fan of rotavating as it chops up any remaining roots turning one weed into many, I suggest digging it by hand to get rid of roots and sods.

Thanks for the response,

I can dig it by hand to remove what left of the grass ect, would i then just turn the whole garden, rake level and scatter seed ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Get rid of any sods etc., fork it over, rake , level, spread seed rakeover gently, roll or compact it by walking over.
    Don't water, at this time of the year let nature take its course.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭bambam26

aujopimur wrote: »
    Get rid of any sods etc., fork it over, rake , level, spread seed rakeover gently, roll or compact it by walking over.
    Don't water, at this time of the year let nature take its course.

Thanks for the advise, busy weekend ahead so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

bambam26 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advise, busy weekend ahead so

As its getting a bit late get some 0:10:20 in the coop and put it on it. it will help to get the lawn going faster and give it a good chance over the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

Hi,

Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread!.

Would it be too late to sow roll-out grass?

I'm getting some work done in the garden this week and want to re-do the lawn. As I have dogs, I'd need to go with the roll on option to get it settled as quick as possible.

Is there anything i could do to help it bed in and take.

Thanks.

Advertisement