Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What bucking key am I in.

• 02-10-2012 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

Trying to put a guitar solo on a song that has an am.c.em.dsus2 and an f in it .

Anyone know what key thats in itd help me alot thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

C Major or A Minor. Both have the same chords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Thanks alot dude .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭paligulus1

Yep as long - you are not playing the F# note during the D chord - Am\Cmaj will do the trick.

If you are playing the F# in the D you can switch to Em over that chord (which is Dorian mode) for tasty results!

I got a picture of the c scale on a guitar neck and it fits all notes right at the top 3 frets of the guitar . Perfect . So if i did the same with the d scale would all notes of the d scale fit on that .??
    I think Im having a bit of a eureka moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

Not too sure what you mean but, scales are moveable.
    If you took your original chords (Em, F, Am, C, Dsus2) and moved them all up 2 frets (F#m, G, Bm, D, Esus2) then the key would be D major and you could solo with the D major scale.

Learn some modes, it's basically breaking up the major scale into bite size fretting positions. Handy way to learn the major scale up and down the fretboard and good for soloing.

Check this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77424595&postcount=10

This would be a major scale in A Major.

• Advertisement

The saga continues .
    The solo was going to play over am c em d sus 2
    My mate plays keyboard a bit .
    I asked him to play these notes in a loop so I could try the solo on it .
    He asked me the key . I said c .
    His chords didnt sound the same as my chords .
    It turns out his chords changed depending on the key . There are no sharps in the c scale he said. He then told me the notes he plays for a chord changes depending on the key he is in . Then said something about the circle of fifths and a youtube video .
    Surely he is mixing things up and a c chord has a e c and g in it regardless of what key im in . But no apparantly if its in f it must have a number of sharps in it . Can anyone make sense of this . Have keyboards got some crazy laws that dont apply to other instruments ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Learn some modes, it's basically breaking up the major scale into bite size fretting positions. Handy way to learn the major scale up and down the fretboard and good for soloing.

Not quite what modes are, I know your point but that's not how modes are used and if you point somebody just getting a grasp on scales towards modes it'll lead to utter confusion.

Nah i got the scales part . Thanks for that raindog its this feckin keyboard situation 2 posts up thats really stumped me .

Ah turns out his c inthe key of f was .......you guessed it an f.

Advertisement