Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Veg Garden position

Options
  • 02-10-2012 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭

I have a decent size south facing garden and I am getting ready to place a 16 x 8 foot veg patch in it. I have a choice of left side afternoon sun or right side morning sun. Which would be best? Thx!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I cannot say exactly which would be best if it is exactly half and half and all things are equal, but I think the afternoon sun position may be better as there would probably be more heat available in the afternoon, giving things have had the morning to warm up.

What about half on the morning side and half on the afternoon side, or better still put the veg patch in the middle of the garden :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

Oldtree wrote: »
    I cannot say exactly which would be best if it is exactly half and half and all things are equal, but I think the afternoon sun position may be better as there would probably be more heat available in the afternoon, giving things have had the morning to warm up.

What about half on the morning side and half on the afternoon side, or better still put the veg patch in the middle of the garden :D

Thx either side is the only place my WIFE will let me put the patch! I must obey! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

mustn't we all! :D

Still its an interesting question. Other suggestions are to plant rows north to south with taller plants to the north and future shade may be an issue too.

If you do raised beds, which I have, make sure you can reach the middle of the bed easily.

Advertisement