Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jolla Sailfish - New Meego-Based Device

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Bambi wrote: »

e9f49jh.jpg

In the pic what is the device between the n900 and the Jolla (i.e. the middle device on the right hand side)?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

N950 I think? Was never released commercially

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

N950 I think? Was never released commercially

Correct, it's a devs device..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I've had mine a week and I have to say I am pretty happy so far. The phone itself feels light in the hand and of decent construction, although to be honest, I would have preferred a slightly smaller device (I have small hands!). Having SD card support is also useful. As a daily phone for calls and texts, it does the job as well as any other phone. Call quality is decent, no dropped calls, 3G reception is probably even better than my old Nokia E7. The OS itself is probably only of the most intuitive and user friendly I have used, after 4-5 days, Android and Apple feel pretty clunky. Native apps where they exist are excellent. After using awful Twitter clients on a variety of platforms, it truly is a pleasure to have Tweetian again. Side loading Android generally works great. I am not a big app person, but Instagram, Firefox and Whatsapp work with no issues for me. Native Qt always feels better to me, so let's hope more devs port their apps over.

Onto the negatives.
    1. The native Sailfish browser does the job, but it is a bit lacking compared to Chrome for example, which is easily the best browser. Firefox sideloaded fills a gap and offers an alternative, but hopefully Opera or someone else can offer a native alternative.
    2. There are random glitches and crashes. As I have been tweaking/installing a lot of stuff, I probably need to restart once a day.
    3. Hardware is functional, but mediocre. I bought a Nexus 5 (which I have since sold) which has an amazing display and a top of the range chipset. I am not a gaming person, but the screen on this phone was a let down after the wonder on the 1080p display on the Nexus.

Yes and no. There are issues (as there are issues with any smartphone), but the turnaround time is/should be much better. For example, when I first got my phone, I had a problem with the battery emptying far quicker than it should have even when it was idling. A community fix was discovered for it days after I encountered it. Secondly, there has already been an update to the OS, 2 weeks after the release. Issues are being fixed quickly, certainly more quicker than what I remember for the N900.

• Advertisement

Seen a good review on pocketlink,its new so there will be issues its not a complete OS as yet,between the announcement and launch was a bad idea plus the availability,but it has potential i think..time will tell...its mainly a device for hackers imo..

Naturally the fins will like it, after that it's pretty much going nowhere, the reviews all say the same thing, unfinished.... Releasing a device with a beta OS is not seen these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭human 19

Here's a fair review from Forbes.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2014/01/12/jolla-review-some-rough-edges-but-this-linux-smartphone-shows-promise/3/

Mine arrived ysterday and after waiting to years for a decent open phone that doesnt involve opening a google account, Im ahppy. Still a work in progress but considering the ingenuity of the linux crowd, it can only get better. No need to wait months for a bugfix from the manufacturer, someone else will sort it and then just need to use the terminal to fix it

For whatever reason i just cant figure and is a total waste of time they are announcing a keyboard tom... http://t.co/ibL9YrEx7K

• Advertisement
Advertisement