Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A&A Feedback

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Turtwig wrote: »
    One more thing:

Religion gets marginalised in a lot of threads. Mostly by the gay agenda, but often times by other things. This forum itself is the non stamp collecting category of stamp collecting. So some threads will have very little, if anything, to do with religion.

Her name is Bannasidhe, get it straight.

...I mean right. Get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Should we all be gay now? I just like a cup of tea in the evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

bluewolf wrote: »
    Should we all be gay now? I just like a cup of tea in the evenings

I don't know do you feel gay? I think I feel a bit more gay now.

Coffee is the chosen beverage as decreed by his mighty teapot.( Which may seem a little paradoxical but that's because you don't understand the context.)

I'm willing to give it a go. The tea, that is. Chocolate hobnobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Her name is Bannasidhe, get it straight.

...I mean right. Get it right.

LEFT NO-GOD DAMMIT! :mad:

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    It's a forum for people who share atheist and agnostic views, that's surely only unclear if you're going out of your way to get confused.

Or they are confused. . .
    Seemed a legit queery, sorry, query, to me.

I'm willing to give it a go. The tea, that is. Chocolate hobnobs?

Don't like tea, Hate hob nobs.

Sheeeh...you people are sooo str8.

Bannasidhe wrote: »

omfg

Post reported. Hobnob nater is obvious troll.

Post reported. Hobnob nater is obvious troll.

homophone. :eek:

• Advertisement

omfg

I no rite, wat a bitch she like got such rudity to her.

You feeling ok hun.

I'm feeling awfully... pridey

I think I caught teh ghey?!

Okay no I'll stop now this is srs bzns thread

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's OK Banna, hob nobs don't contain nobs (just as well, really)

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

ninja900 wrote: »
    It's OK Banna, hob nobs don't contain nobs (just as well, really)

I have nothing against nobs (badoom tish!). Some of my best friends are posh actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The first perversion above I'd grown to almost tolerate, as long as it was kept out of sight of decent folk. For the second however, there is no forgiveness.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    Is it a problem that discussions may drift in and out of the religious realm here?

If a thread is producing good discussion on topic it will be kept loosely in the confines of that topic. Threads don't digress unless every last POV has been wrung out of the topic in question, or, as is very often the case, the OP never comes back after dropping a bomb.

The main point is anyone coming in here with intent to have a proper discussion will be facilitated with a minimum of off-topicery.

Occasionally we allow whole threads on nothing immediately to do with religion (e.g. Elections, referendums) as there's a community here that are comfortable discussing stuff - and disagreeing with each other I should add. A quick look at the 50 most-recently-posted-in threads only has one thread that doesn't concern religion. That was the legoland directions thread that was left for the craic. [A similarly misplaced thread in this forum proved one of the most popular in recent years - someone will find it!]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Penn wrote: »
    Forums throughout Boards might be about a central topic but has threads which deviate a bit every now and then. Obviously if someone started a thread here about the World Cup, it'd likely be moved or closed.

Fair enough but in the past there has been topics raised here that have nothing to do with A&A or religion. For example this thread which seems to be created mainly as a stick to beat the right with.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056832504

Gun Control has nothing to do with Religion or Atheism in of itself but it seems to be OK to discuss as the GOP are largely pro gun ownership, and by default because some sections of the GOP take a moral stance on religion/society, therefore by that lose extension its fair game to discuss.

A strange logic. If a religious guy comes out and says something about the world cup, can we then discuss the world cup, cause some 'wingnut' said something? If that is the standard the mods walk past then that is the standard they accept.

The thing is about gun control, it is a much more complicated topic then good vs bad, left vs right, GOP vs Dems, US vs, EU, religious vs non religious. Many many atheists are pro gun ownership. Ironically Atheist pin up boy Sam Harris wrote an article following scathing of the response of the media to the Newtown massacre. It seems that some love to label and categorise people into groups. If you are right wing, then therefore you are a redneck bible thumping yockle teabagger. One thing I have learned here is that posters hate to be lumped into boxes, yet have no objection doing the same in return when it suits.

There seems to be a "anything goes" but certain posters have free course to shape the conversation. Much like a newspaper towing a certain editorial line.

Note: The thread was opened by Robin and then closed by him when it wasn't going his way especially when Sparks the Mod of Shooting (who seemed to know it stuff) gets involved. Another example of the politicisation of this forum.

Gun control, laws of rape, vaccination, incest, all these and more have been original threads. Why because people on the forum have an interest in discussing them.

Although to be fair to Rob I think a spin off thread was created because hazards often got clogged with gun stuff. That's actually one reason these threads are created. Another is split threads, and another is autonomous user creation because they wish to discuss stuff in a and a.

Regarding closing the thread. Lots of posters could have been carded so I'd guess that was a factor. That said, I'd have tried to keep the thread open. Just purged the posts, which Rob did. Then tried to reopen it as it's an interesting discussion topic. Though I don't like the personal direction and sarcasm the thread had taken. Hard to ascertain how much legs the thread really had.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Turtwig wrote: »
    Gun control, laws of rape, vaccination, incest, all these and more have been original threads. Why because people on the forum have an interest in discussing them.

Although to be fair to Rob I think a spin off thread was created because hazards often got clogged with gun stuff. That's actually one reason these threads are created. Another is split threads, and another is autonomous user creation because they wish to discuss stuff in a and a.

Regarding closing the thread. Lots of posters could have been carded so I'd guess that was a factor. That said, I'd have tried to keep the thread open. Just purged the posts, which Rob did. Then tried to reopen it as it's an interesting discussion topic. Though I don't like the personal direction and sarcasm the thread had taken. Hard to ascertain how much legs the thread really had.

Well there seems to be confusion as to what can be discussed here. Penn noted that a thread about the world cup would be closed/moved (I quoted it). Yet others are saying that there is really nothing that cannot be discussed. So a world cup thread would stay or be moved?

However, I must mention again that the creation of that thread was primarily to beat the 'right' with a stick as framed by the OP with lose connections to 'religious men'. Tell me if I created a thread about totalitarianism and its lose connections to Atheism would I be given the same leeway as Robin? Would I not be accused of having an agenda?

We've had sporting threads before. So if a world cup thread was created it would probably be let go. As a general rules every thread is given it's best possible chance. Spam and blatant personal attacks or racism or threads bitching about other fora on boards are main no nos.

You specifically? Probably not, maybe so, we'd probably discuss it first but generally for everyone else then yep. Every thread is given its chance to find some love some way or another. Unless it's blatantly over line the moderation of a and a is basically see what weird and wonderful thrives from threads you don't expect.

Though that being said part of this laissez faire works is because only a tiny percentage of threads are relevant to your question. If we got a significantly high proportion of them then obviously we may have to consider having a discussion about them. Right now those threads freely exist because they're rarities. I'm sure some book somewhere says we should try to treasure such things. Sadly, some of them don't make it beyond the first page. :(

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »

However, I must mention again that the creation of that thread was primarily to beat the 'right' with a stick as framed by the OP with lose connections to 'religious men'. Tell me if I created a thread about totalitarianism and its lose connections to Atheism would I be given the same leeway as Robin? Would I not be accused of having an agenda?

But you do have an agenda, and, for reasons known best to yourself, its to damage this forum and those whose post in it. You would not be unique in that regard.

That Gun rights thread had gone to 67 pages, and was seeing intermittent activity (posts in may, next posts in August) and it seemed fair enough to me to close it. And yes, I argued pro-gun at some stage in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

why do you keep ignoring the rest of the stuff that the mod said?

Turtwig didn't just say anything goes, Turtwig said:
    This is a forum where anything goes, within reason.

You know exactly what Turtwig meant by their comment but for some strange reason you want to nitpick at only one part of what Turtwig said and with all due respect it comes across like you just are trying to be a smart arse.
    I think there's legitimate confusion here.

You appear to be the only one confused here,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Nice selective quoting and dodge,
    :rolleyes:

I said:
    with all due respect it comes across like you just are trying to be a smart arse

I'm not saying you are, I'm saying thats how it comes across at present. I'd be happy if you could prove me wrong on this of course but given you like selective quotes and ignoring the rest of what is actually posted you aren't helping yourself of course.

Is there a specific reason why you keep ignoring the within reason of Turtwig's post? Do you not understand the within reason part of Turtwig's post.
    Maybe you should PM Turtwig for clarification on what "within reason" meant as you appear to be the only one confused by it.

Nodin wrote: »

Mod: Let's leave agenda discussions out of it. Assumption is that all posts are posting fair and unbiased.
    Gun rights thread also had a LOT of deleted posts.
    Not at all. But natural thread drift, which happens in every forum, is quite different from the "anything goes" philosophy that at least one mod is advocating. I think there's legitimate confusion here.
    This bit below is pretty much what I said. Obviously mods interpretations aren't going to be 100:100 but we're very much on the same wavelength.
    Dades wrote: »
    Occasionally we allow whole threads on nothing immediately to do with religion (e.g. Elections, referendums) as there's a community here that are comfortable discussing stuff - and disagreeing with each other I should add. A quick look at the 50 most-recently-posted-in threads only has one thread that doesn't concern religion. That was the legoland directions thread that was left for the craic. [A similarly misplaced thread in this forum proved one of the most popular in recent years - someone will find it!]

You yourself have contributed to such threads in the past. I know this for certain because I started a thread on punctuation and prose which you were very helpful in and I'm grateful for that.

Repeatedly misunderstanding the point by picking on word snippets isn't constructive either. People rarely give their opinion in ten words. More to the point, people rarely are exact or correct with their word choices. Context and tone is very important. Please be more mindful in the reflection of your quotes.

Dades wrote: »
    [A similarly misplaced thread in this forum proved one of the most popular in recent years - someone will find it!]

It really was

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68490605

Don't forget this recent gem either.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87113505

There's been others too.

Jaffa cakes biscuits? Whew wee! That was fairly divisive. And pineapple on pizza. Some real violent stuff ther.e

There seems to be, but its not nessecarily on the part of regulars and mods of the forum.

For instance when you were posting in threads such as "Taxes", "Ayn Rand's objectivism & laissez faire capitalism", "half baked republican fruitcakes", "global fiscal compact 2012" and "Global warming - manmade or not?" over the period of three to four years, you seemed to be perfectly ok with the forum and the range of subjects it covered. Then, very recently, some cloud of confusion seems to have descended on you, driving you here.

• Advertisement

To be fair some were spin offs.

Global warming - man made or not was spin off thread from another off topic thread. Both of which perma contributed to.

Taxes was a spin off a discussion in another thread, can't remember which.

Loads of threads on objectivism and laissez faire capitalism. Some originals, some spin offs.

Fiscal compact, Lisbon, were all original threads.

Where I'm disappointed is the lack of contributions to pizzas and biscuits threads.

Advertisement