Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A&A Feedback

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The main issue I'd have with reading arguments JC is involved in is that any time he gets pinned into an argument that's actually interesting he comes back with disingenuous non-answers and smilies, basically refusing to engage.

There are other posters here whose ideas meet with widespread disapproval (thinking of nagirrac and others here) but who I, at least, find attempts to engage in intricate arguments to an extent that I find myself considering things I wouldn't have, or learning something from the responses.

JC doesn't attempt to engage in most threads to a level anything like that, and I don't think I've ever learned anything from a discussion he's been involved in outside the Specious Nonsense thread.

The mods here often take posters aside and instruct them about the level of debate expected here, and sometimes instruct posters to answer points put to them directly, withdraw the statements they refuse to defend or stop posting. That doesn't seems to happen with JC (maybe because he has been around for so long mods have stopped reading), but it seems like he's the person it would be most suitable for out of any poster in A&A

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

keane2097 wrote: »
    That doesn't seems to happen with JC
    See above - a decision is pending on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

robindch wrote: »
    See above - a decision is pending on this.

Heh, I was typing for a good while :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

J C's tone in his posts reminds me of my loudmouthed younger brother at his most obnoxious. Just like J C, you can't reason with my brother when he's at maximum obnoxiousness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Edit: Just looked at the church closures thread - in that case it seems he is derailing the thread. Entirely up to the mods as to how that should be handled.

That's his problem, every thread which doesn't directly talk about creationism that he involves himself in he turns into a creationism thread with his constant spamming of posts.

Put him back in the specious nonsense thread, and tell him the next time he posts outside of it he is permanently banned would be my solution. It's all right having him there, because in all frankness it is a comedy thread anyway, but outside of it he will derail threads which discuss important issues for the community, and that is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

keane2097 wrote: »
    The main issue I'd have with reading arguments JC is involved in is that any time he gets pinned into an argument that's actually interesting he comes back with disingenuous non-answers and smilies, basically refusing to engage.

"Scientists know god exists, I have first hand evidence of god and aliens and wizards, but none you would listen to so I wont explain it :) "

if that's not trolling I dunno what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

krudler wrote: »
    "Scientists know god exists, I have first hand evidence of god and aliens and wizards, but none you would listen to so I wont explain it :) "

if that's not trolling I dunno what it is.

Why not offer yourself as a listener?

J.C. keeps the law here....some of his opponents wouldn't get a pass on A.H. if they where honest with themselves.

Sorry for the comma and sev my comp is knackerered...if i hit backspace i have to start all over again......lol....comma and sev over there...............new comp needed........................, sev

Lucy8080 wrote: »

J.C. keeps the law here....some of his opponents wouldn't get a pass on A.H. if they where honest with themselves.

No he doesn't. He just comes in, derails threads and spews bull**** from dusk 'til dawn.

No he doesn't. He just comes in, derails threads and spews bull**** from dusk 'til dawn.

i disagree. I'd give a more detailed answer ...but it took me 5 goes to write the previous post...i'll elaborate when i get new comp. I cant delete /backspace at the mo. And some tech. nonsense...can we have a down with tech thread....obviously i won't be able to contribute...I don't belive in the god of computers.............he's an evil ...so and so

see ...i even want to edit that...im not going in and out again.......i disagree...that will do for now.

apologies all...this focker is going out the window soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Sorry for the comma and sev my comp is knackerered...if i hit backspace i have to start all over again......lol....comma and sev over there...............new comp needed........................, sev

To?

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    To?

J.C.

Tell him you will listen! A challenge to the assertion that you won't.

I'm haooppy (fock) can't delete, this was a short answer.

that's me for a bit.

He's been trolling posting for 9 years. It's highly likely that people have TRIED listening to him, but found banging their head off a wall more comfortable.

He's been trolling posting for 9 years. It's highly likely that people have TRIED listening to him, but found banging their head off a wall more comfortable.

J.c. said he has evidence ...first hand...but you won't listen...i'm interested in hearing it ...evidence of god ,aliens and wizzards.

sorry, would love to pull up the quote ...but can't...at the very least let j.c. enlighten us.

even if its a thread on god ,aliens w...and wizzards.

i still stand by the fact that he keeps the law better than the reasr /rest of us here.

sorry for typos...really ill make this my last post for a while...very frustrating right now on this excuse for an abacus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

J.c. said he has evidence ...first hand...but you won't listen...i'm interested in hearing it ...evidence of god ,aliens and wizzards.

sorry, would love to pull up the quote ...but can't...at the very least let j.c. enlighten us.

even if its a thread on god ,aliens w...and wizzards.

i still stand by the fact that he keeps the law better than the reasr /rest of us here.

sorry for typos...really ill make this my last post for a while...very frustrating right now on this excuse for an abacus.
    He has been asked for evidence for almost a decade, yes, a decade. It has still not been forthcoming. He constantly soapboxes. This is not me backseat modding, the mods themselves have said he soapboxes, but a special dispensation was give. To him to allow him to continue to post I. The irritating way he does. Interestingly, I don't beleive he gets away with this posting style in the other forum.

He come into thread and details them, as he did in the school closure thread, with his sickening Jesus loves you sh1t.

I have generally been of the opinion that he is useful in that his idiocy and the ridiculousness of his posts are actually useful to the atheist cause, but I have to admit, I am pretty fed up with him now. It would be nice to have threads where he did not post.

I thought peregrinous's idea was quite good, it I don't think it goes far enough. My preference would be for a ban now as I feel his usefulness is now out weighed by the irritation be causes. If for some reason his special treatment continues I think he should be restricted to his own thread, not even the specious nonsense thread. That thread occasionally has some useful debate and, like every thread he touches, JC can even lower the quality of that thread. If he must be kept around limit him to a special JC thread, titled as such. Then, those that want to engage with him can but the pure sewage that is the majority of his posts does not pollute the rest of the forum.

MrP

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

J.C.

I'm haooppy (fock) can't delete, this was a short answer.

that's me for a bit.

Can't you just select the text and type to replace what's highlighted? Backspace and delete are redundant.

Anyway many, many posters have engaged with him over the years. He simply refuses to reciprocate. He will conjure up utter nonsense, while claiming he is a scientist, and provide absolutely nothing to support his claims.

The first few years were just funny. Then it got pathetic. Now it's just an annoyance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

J.C.

He has actually said 'I have evidence, but I'm not going to give it to you'. How can one have a discussion with someone like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

kylith wrote: »
    He has actually said 'I have evidence, but I'm not going to give it to you'. How can one have a discussion with someone like that?

I know how but I wont tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,900 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

MrPudding wrote: »
    If he must be kept around limit him to a special JC thread, titled as such.

I agree, provided the thread is callled "Soapboxing for Jeebus" :pac:

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

JC has been asked to restrict himself to the specious nonsense thread.

Thanks for the feedback folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

FWIW, I don't think JC is a troll to the extent that the he sincerely holds the views he expresses here, although some of his posts come off that way. His views are at the extreme end of the spectrum, both here and in Christianity.
    How are my views 'at the extreme end of the spectrum'?
    I am a Creationist ... who believes what the Apostles and Nicene Creed states to be the truth (that God made all things visible and invisible) ... and a mandatory faith requirement for all members of all the mainstream christian churches.

I am a moderate liberal Christian who loves and respects my fellow man, just like Jesus Christ asks all Christians to do.
    I would respectfully ask you to withdraw your 'extremist' remark ... when all I have ever done is express beliefs in line with the mainstream Creeds.

Once the creationist/existence of God stuff is restricted to the relevant threads, that shouldn't matter as long as the other provisions of the charter are respected.

Incidentally, some people really do seem to enjoy arguing with him. Someone recently took it on themselves to declare victory over him on the creationism megathread in Christianity after a few weeks with no posts on that thread - with predictable consequences. I had been hoping it would drop off the front page :(

Edit: Just looked at the church closures thread - in that case it seems he is derailing the thread. Entirely up to the mods as to how that should be handled.
    The Church Closure Thread was derailed allright ... but it was derailed because some of the other posters didn't stay on-topic and began posting anti-God comments and throwaway comments about rapist priests and finally calling all Christians "brain washed by a cult who are hypocritical, abusive and corrupt".

I'm not single-handedly responsible for the derailment of any thread - it takes two to tango ... or more accurately, in relation to my posting on the A & A ... myself and hundreds of others 'tangoing' down the years.

Anyway, for peace and quiet ... and in respect for the A & A forum and its Mods I will to confine myself to the megathread.

Could I ask you if you believe that Christians are "brain washed by a cult who are hypocritical, abusive and corrupt"?
    ... and If you don't agree, why have you not said so? ... and instead you have decided to call me an 'extremist' for simply defending my faith respectfully and in a civil and reasoned manner.

• Advertisement

wrote:
    Originally Posted by Lucy8080
    J.C.

Of course, I will listen ... and I will respond as much as my abilities and time allows.

The irony here is that I respect all persons of all faiths and none.

I can actually understand why an Atheist might believe there is no God and I fully respect their right to believe this and to debate it.

Look at my posts ... all thousands of them ... nearly every one responding directly in a reasoned manner to a statement/question by somebody else. That takes listening ... and love ... and respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Mod:

JC has had his say now. I don't see any further resolution beyond this point so let's consider the matter closed?

I agree, provided the thread is callled "Soapboxing for Jeebus" :pac:
    This is more of it ... nick-naming the God that myself and over 90% of your neighbours believe in.
    We, may of course, be mistaken in our beliefs, but I think not.

Be that as it may, such disparaging comments and name-calling about Almighty God adds nothing to any debate - and are best left unsaid.

I wouldn't dream of nick-naming any high profile Atheists that you might regard highly ... and I would respectfully ask you to treat people that I regard highly with similar restraint.

By all means tell me where I and they may be wrong ... but leave the nick-names out of it.

PS Just saw Turtwigs Post. I'll bow out now ... over 40 posts about me ... and 4 posts in response by me seems like the correct balance.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Mod:

JC has had his say now. I don't see any further resolution beyond this point so let's consider the matter closed?
    That makes sense.

Could I ask you to ask Benny Cake to withdraw his unfounded remark that I'm some kind of 'extremist' Christian for simply believing in the Apostles and Nicene Creeds?

wrote:
    Benny_Cake
    I didn't call you an extremist, I meant that your opinions on young-earth creationism are at the extreme end of the spectrum.
    I believe what the Apostles and Nicene Creed states to be the truth (that God made all things visible and invisible) ... which is a mandatory faith requirement for all members of all the mainstream Christian Churches.

I'm therefore neither an 'extremist' nor at the extreme end of any spectrum - I'm simply a moderate liberal Christian who happens to believe in a young Earth for both scientific and theological reasons.
    wrote:
    Benny_Cake
    I don't think this is the venue for debating that though.
    OK.

wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C
    The Christians who post here aren't 'brainless automatons' ... nor are they 'brainwashed by a cult that is hypocritical , abusive and corrupt.'

Piliger
    Yet all the evidence shows that they are.
    This is totally unacceptable - to claim that all Christians are brainless automatons who are brainwashed by a cult that is hypocritical, abusive and corrupt.

Its in the interest of liberal Atheism and Atheists that such unfounded remarks levelled against an entire religious group are vigorously opposed.

... otherwise, it is reasonable to conclude that Atheists on the A & A don't believe in pluralism and the rights of people of all religions and none to respect and their good name.

... so it's over to you guys ...

Short one here!

I cannot for the life of me see how Atheism can can complain about religious folks of all shades not engaging in talks/democracy/secularism..etc...and then when they do...confine them at your your behest!

J.C. aint the problem here....the fact s/he frustrates you to the point of a mob calling for a ban, well...that's the elephant in the room.

J.C. keeps the rules...so the rules get bent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

J C wrote: »
    How are my views 'at the extreme end of the spectrum'?
    I am a Creationist ... .

I have bolded and underlined what would be the issue.

Mod:
    If you have a problem with the moderation in A+A, then take it to feedback where senior site admins will review the issue you raise and will take the whatever remedial action they deem necessary.

If you're not prepared to do that, then keep your snide comments to yourself lest you get moderated again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Short one here!

I cannot for the life of me see how Atheism can can complain about religious folks of all shades not engaging in talks/democracy/secularism..etc...and then when they do...confine them at your your behest!

J.C. aint the problem here....the fact s/he frustrates you to the point of a mob calling for a ban, well...that's the elephant in the room.

A general rule of boards is to not take topics off topic.

Advertisement